Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Game in the UK

UKVikingMike is offline Training Camp

Game in the UK

Theres been alot of speculation over here (England) about the possibilty of the NFL hosting a game at the new Wembley stadium. Does anyone think this will happen. I know we launched a bid to the NFL in sept to host a game.
    http://www.nfluk.com/news-display.php?id=1445

I would love to see some teams come over for a game, but am aware of the jet-lag problems and the implications this would have on a teams preperation for a regular season game. Would anyone object to the Vikings having to play a game overseas?

jordy is offline Rookie

Re: Game in the UK

oooh that would be so great if a nfl game came to europe....i'm sure every football fan in Europe will try to come and see this game....i know i will

RK.
    RK. is offline Ring of Fame Rally Cross II Champion

Personally I am not in favor of it.. To me it makes football more of an entertainment venue. Games should be played at one or the other teams home town IMO. I wasn't in favor of the Mexico game last year either.

WWBGD

SKOL is offline Ring of Fame

I may be wrong, but I think the Vikes have played at Wembley before. One of our other UK members, AngloVike, started following the Vikes after a preseason game there.

It would be fun to see some of you be able to witness a regular season game live in your backyard. btw, Anglo makes a yearly trek to Minny for a game. Metrodome=Anglo's Mecca.

The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good -Samuel Johnson - lexicographer
    The word genius isn t applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein - Joe Theisman

SKOL is offline Ring of Fame

There was a game at Wembley before the Bears and Fridge played in 1986. The Vikings and Cardinals played in 1983.

Here's a link on the Pro Football Hall of Fame Site :

http://www.profootballhof.com/history/release.jsp?release_id=1476

Here's what it says:

First NFL Game in Europe
    August 6, 1983 – The Minnesota Vikings defeated the St. Louis Cardinals, 28-10, at Wembley Stadium in London, England.

First Use of Instant Replay on a Regular Basis

First American Bowl Game
    August 3, 1986 – The Chicago Bears defeated the Dallas Cowboys, 17-6, in Wembly Stadium in London.

The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good -Samuel Johnson - lexicographer
    The word genius isn t applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein - Joe Theisman

LuckyVike is offline Team Alumni

"RK." wrote:
    Personally I am not in favor of it.. To me it makes football more of an entertainment venue. Games should be played at one or the other teams home town IMO. I wasn't in favor of the Mexico game last year either.
    I agree with that! Plus, I think you're screwing most of the American fans out of watching a live game. Can you imagine what time the game would start over here in America?
    The best part of my day is when I get down on my knees, with my head in my hands, and thank GOD for everything he has given me.

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

"RK." wrote:
    It is unfair with the one week prep and the home and away game situation.

I think AZ had to give up a Home game this year to play in Mexico. It is unfair to AZ, even though their stupid owner OK'd it.

N.O. got screwed out of a home game and the Giants played 9 home games this season at N.O. expense. The Giants also made the playoffs = UNFAIR.

As fair as the game in England. The speculation was that it was going to be 2 east coast teams. Both with a bye week either before or after the game. The preference would be the bye week before the game. I think it was Tampa and NE that were in teh rumor. At the time, it was all but done, it just was waiting for NFL approval. I think the owners have a say in it???????

Oh well, we'll just have to wait and see.

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

"LuckyVike" wrote:
    "RK." wrote:
    I agree with that! Plus, I think you're screwing most of the American fans out of watching a live game. Can you imagine what time the game would start over here in America?
    Like 1pm easteren, that isn't much different than how it is now. What is England, 5 hours from EST, that means the game would start in England at 6pm. You could start the game at 8pm and that would be ideal.

Yes, it does seem like it is cheating the home teams fans quite a bit. It would probably only affect Tampa Bays fans. I think they were the ones giving up the home game.

DOWN THE ROAD(way way way), they should have a Euro League and at the end of the season the SuperBowl winner would play the EuroBowl winner. Problem would be diluted talent to field that many teams.

jordy is offline Rookie

"LuckyVike" wrote:
    "RK." wrote:
    haha the same time that i'm watching the games around here....but i'm glad i can watch the games now, that's only since this year...but honestly, what does one game in a year mean if you play it somewhere else? Most of us fans in Europe have never seen a nfl game real live, so that would be huge!

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"SKOL" wrote:
    It would be fun to see some of you be able to witness a regular season game live in your backyard. btw, Anglo makes a yearly trek to Minny for a game. Metrodome=Anglo's Mecca.
    :adore:

Seriously though this has been debated a lot on the NFLUK message boards and the word from the NFL is that they favour London out of any other venue in Europe if they stage a game here.
    If they go with a regular season game then I'd expect a 6:00pm KO here which would be 1:00pm eastern so time isn't an issue. The major problem that the league would have would be to find a team who would be willing to give up a home game. This may then bring into play teams who curently don't sell out their home games consistentl. Two names that came up on the boards were Arizona - who you can now discount after playing in Mexico last year - and Jacksonville has been mentioned as well.
    As said it could be done so that there was a bye week before or after to help with th jet lag issue. If they do stage a game at Wembley then it is a guaranteed sell-out as fans of all teams would flock to see it, including those based in Europe.
    I would still expect the League to go with a pre-season game for this though as the problems with a regular season game are too much to overcome.
    Personally I'd rather it wasn't the Vikes playing here as getting tickets could be a nightmare and I'd be gutted to miss out on seeing them if they were here :grin:
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast