Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Free Agency Could Be Dalayed Until April

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/story/391098p-331763c.html

BY GARY MYERS
    DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

The NFL free agent market is scheduled to open March 3, but it could be pushed back until April 1 if there is enough progress made in the next couple of weeks in negotiations for an extension of the collective bargaining agreement.

According to a source with knowledge of the talks, there have been advances in some areas since the Super Bowl ended 10 days ago that could lead to a delay in free agency. The NFL and the union still have a very long way to go, but the sense of urgency has intensified. The dance, for now, hasn't changed: One step forward, two steps back.

The sides met yesterday in New York. "The only good news is there is a lot of talk," the source said last night. "That is usually a good sign. Both sides are feeling pressure to get it done within a reasonable time period."

If the market opens without a CBA extension, it would make contract negotiations much more complicated. Signing bonuses can be prorated for only four years instead of what is usually a maximum of seven in the first year of a new CBA. With no extension, 2007 will be an uncapped year. As a result, the money in all new contracts, other than signing bonus, would be subject to the "30% rule" going into an uncapped year. That means if a player signs a deal for $1 million in base salary and roster and reporting bonuses in 2006, he can't get more than $300,000 (30%) increases in succeeding years.

The biggest names scheduled to be unrestricted free agents are league MVP and rushing champion Shaun Alexander and Colts running back Edgerrin James.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Free Agency Could Be Dalayed Until April

NOOO!!! We're only a few weeks away! They can't delay it 'til April, we need Free Agency to get us through 'til the draft!

TARKenton is offline Asst. Coach

Edge! Edge Edge! Edge!
    ...Rodgers had to hold on the ball longer, giving players like Jared "I am completely insane and will literally eat your children" Allen time to sack Rodgers again.And again. And again. Actually I think Rodgers may have nightmares about Jared Allen the rest of the year.

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

"ltrey33" wrote:
    NOOO!!! We're only a few weeks away! They can't delay it 'til April, we need Free Agency to get us through 'til the draft!
    COMBINE starts in about 8 or 9 days. That's a nugget to chew on.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

C'mon you NFL A$$HOLES...get that CBA done...it's as easy as ABC...backwards that is! :lol:
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

LuckyVike is offline Team Alumni

"snowinapril" wrote:
    "ltrey33" wrote:
    I'm really looking foward to the combine this year. I really wish we had a top ten pick though, that would be sweet.
    The best part of my day is when I get down on my knees, with my head in my hands, and thank GOD for everything he has given me.

MrGopher16 is offline Hall of Famer

"LuckyVike" wrote:
    "snowinapril" wrote:
    "ltrey33" wrote:
    I'm really looking foward to the combine this year. I really wish we had a top ten pick though, that would be sweet.
    Agreed, ohhhh man the things we could do with that!
    ;-)

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

What a bunch of A$$ Clowns.. They better not push FA until Apr 1. We are a couple of weeks away from FA, if they do this will it affect the Franchise Tag? or will teams still have to Franchise their players by the Feb 23 deadline?

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

CBA discussions are always bad news. example: NHL. they locked out for a year. just think what woudl happen if the nfl cant solve it. think about the mass suicides on the streets and in local bars. wow.
    We're bringing purple back.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Because of the rules and structure that is already in place regarding a season with out a CBA, I think there is much less of a chance of the NFL shutting down for a year the way the NHL did.

But I do agree. CBA talks can turn into something much bigger fast. I hope they get it together, and SOON!
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast