Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,601
    Blog Entries
    1

    Franchise Tag period starts today (2/7/08)

    The franchise-tag period opens on February 7th and continues until February 21st.
    Free Agency starts February 29th.

    And to answer some of the questions that inevitably pop up:

    Every year each team is allowed to designate a player who is scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent as a franchise player. There are two types of franchise tag designations: the exclusive rights franchise tag, and non-exclusive rights franchise tag.


    The exclusive tag means that the player gets a one year contract equal to or greater than the average of the top five salaries at the player's position as of April of the year in which the tag will apply, or 120 percent of the player's previous year's salary, whichever is greater.


    The non-exclusive tag use the previous year's average instead of the current year, but the player can still negotiate with other teams.
    If another team offers a higher contract, the original team has right of first refusal, and would get two first round draft picks as compensation if they choose not to match.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  2. #2
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,601
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Franchise Tag period starts today (2/7/08)

    Almost forgot, the transition tag period started today too, but that tag is pretty much never used anymore - largely due in part to the Hutch poison pill...
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  3. #3
    VikingMike's Avatar
    VikingMike is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    5,820

    Re: Franchise Tag period starts today (2/7/08)

    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    The franchise-tag period opens on February 7th and continues until February 21st.
    Free Agency starts February 29th.

    And to answer some of the questions that inevitably pop up:

    Every year each team is allowed to designate a player who is scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent as a franchise player. There are two types of franchise tag designations: the exclusive rights franchise tag, and non-exclusive rights franchise tag.


    The exclusive tag means that the player gets a one year contract equal to or greater than the average of the top five salaries at the player's position as of April of the year in which the tag will apply, or 120 percent of the player's previous year's salary, whichever is greater.


    The non-exclusive tag use the previous year's average instead of the current year, but the player can still negotiate with other teams.
    If another team offers a higher contract, the original team has right of first refusal, and would get two first round draft picks as compensation if they choose not to match.

    Thanks for the info and insight, NP. It will be interseting to see if KC tags Allen (duh) and who becomes available for FA.
    Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood. - H.L. Mencken

    Come from the land of the ice and snow...

  4. #4
    ThorSPL's Avatar
    ThorSPL is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    3,422

    Re: Franchise Tag period starts today (2/7/08)

    I bet a LOT of players get franchised this year.

    Anybody know what percentage of teams use this generally?


    Trust me, I'm a doctor.

    www.twitter.com/ThorSPL

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    1,206

    Re: Franchise Tag period starts today (2/7/08)

    "ThorSPL" wrote:
    I bet a LOT of players get franchised this year.

    Anybody know what percentage of teams use this generally?
    Seven players were franchised in 2007, up from four in 2006 (link).
    From everything I've heard, we should be in about the same range this year.
    The biggest ones that will be of interest to the Vikings (or at least Vikings fans on PPO) might be Allen (99.9% certain he gets tagged) and Suggs (I'm thinking 70% chance).
    When the age of the Vikings came to a close, they must have sensed it. Probably, they gathered together one evening, slapped each other on the back and said, "Hey, good job." - Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]

  6. #6
    Mr Anderson's Avatar
    Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    7,692

    Re: Franchise Tag period starts today (2/7/08)

    Here comes a Rosenhaus rant about how the Franchise Tag should be abolished.... not that I really disagree.

  7. #7
    MaxVike's Avatar
    MaxVike is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    2,542

    Re: Franchise Tag period starts today (2/7/08)

    "Overlord" wrote:
    "ThorSPL" wrote:
    I bet a LOT of players get franchised this year.

    Anybody know what percentage of teams use this generally?
    Seven players were franchised in 2007, up from four in 2006 (link).
    From everything I've heard, we should be in about the same range this year.
    The biggest ones that will be of interest to the Vikings (or at least Vikings fans on PPO) might be Allen (99.9% certain he gets tagged) and Suggs (I'm thinking 70% chance).
    According to Adam Schefter, they will both be tagged.

    Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

Similar Threads

  1. Which franchise is the best in the NFL … period?
    By Prophet in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 09-18-2008, 11:30 AM
  2. My JV season starts today
    By VKG4LFE in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 05-24-2006, 03:38 AM
  3. Calgary Stampede Starts today
    By ItalianStallion in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-10-2005, 06:04 AM
  4. CFL season starts today!
    By ItalianStallion in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 06-28-2005, 12:56 AM
  5. Free Agency Starts Today!
    By nzviking in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-01-2003, 02:07 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •