Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by NodakPaul View Post
    Had they been doing that in the first place, a lot of this could have been avoided.
    Agreed. That's been my biggest beef on this whole thing from the beginning.

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion
    Overall I think the players recieved much harsher penalties than the coaches, somewhat unfairly. The coaches are the ones in charge, they set the example and tell players what to do, including the cover up. More importantly coaches can have very long careers. Players have only a small window.
    Sean Payton will be 50 when he returns from his year long suspension, he has already been guaranteed his job, and will likely get a raise. Could easily coach for 15 more years.
    Vilma will be 31 and a year removed from football when he returns. The Saints will likely release him to avoid the final year of his 5 year 34 million dollar contract, so he'll be a 31 year old just trying to make a team for near the veteran minimum, and very few years left to play.

Not that I feel bad for Vilma, but I would like to see the coaches and owners punished in a comparable way.

Quote Originally Posted by jmcdon00 View Post
    Overall I think the players recieved much harsher penalties than the coaches, somewhat unfairly. The coaches are the ones in charge, they set the example and tell players what to do, including the cover up. More importantly coaches can have very long careers. Players have only a small window.
    Sean Payton will be 50 when he returns from his year long suspension, he has already been guaranteed his job, and will likely get a raise. Could easily coach for 15 more years.
    Vilma will be 31 and a year removed from football when he returns. The Saints will likely release him to avoid the final year of his 5 year 34 million dollar contract, so he'll be a 31 year old just trying to make a team for near the veteran minimum, and very few years left to play.

Not that I feel bad for Vilma, but I would like to see the coaches and owners punished in a comparable way.
    Maybe not completely fair to these players, but I think the example will help change the behavior that has been the norm. Without something heavy like this, not sure it would have the same impact. Heavy player penalty should lead to better player responsibility. They are adults and are the ones who actually carried out the malicious intent.

Sean received a year and Williams was indefinite. Those are pretty steep. Loomis and Benson (draft picks, fines) maybe could have been hit harder, but not sure it would have done much more than what they already received.

I think the objective has been achieved by Goodell.

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    Maybe not completely fair to these players, but I think the example will help change the behavior that has been the norm. Without something heavy like this, not sure it would have the same impact. Heavy player penalty should lead to better player responsibility. They are adults and are the ones who actually carried out the malicious intent.

Sean received a year and Williams was indefinite. Those are pretty steep. Loomis and Benson (draft picks, fines) maybe could have been hit harder, but not sure it would have done much more than what they already received.

I think the objective has been achieved by Goodell.
    I think he achieved the goal of eliminating bounties, but I think owners and GM's will still look to hire coaches and players that are willing to break the rules for a competitive advantage.
    Ultimately the owner should be held responsible for the teams actions.

Traveling_Vike is offline Coordinator
    I am mostly OK with the penalties assessed. I had expected a few more players to be named, but I guess the rest of them are circling the wagons to protect each others' asses.

I'm not surprised either to hear about the union defending them. That is, after all, their job. It's just like when an attorney defends a client he knows is guilty. He may not like the guy, but he's paid to do the best job he can, and that's how the system works.

I'd kind of like to see an "eye-for-an-eye" system, where the guilty player gets suspended for as many games as the player he injured misses from the injury, plus paying his medical bills, but that would be really hard to judge.

On the whole, it's a strong deterrent to future actions of this sort, and that's the whole point.

My Meeple is purple. What color is yours?

Quote Originally Posted by jmcdon00 View Post
    I think he achieved the goal of eliminating bounties, but I think owners and GM's will still look to hire coaches and players that are willing to break the rules for a competitive advantage.
    Ultimately the owner should be held responsible for the teams actions.
    Benson probably should have taken more heat on this issue, which I guess translates into steeper fines or more draft picks. He did lose his head coach for a year, assistant coach for partial year, GM for partial year and now maybe a few players. He also has the nation and a number of fans looking on his product much differently. So I think he's paid a fair amount.

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

Four Saints Players Suspended For BountyGate - Vilma for a year

It is funny Marrdro stayed out of this thread. He defended those pieces of shit for what they did to Favre. What a joke.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12