Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    jkjuggalo is offline Star Spokesman

Re: The Foundation Of A Great Defense

I think a good defense has more to do with the scheme and coaching than the players.
    The most consistent defenses have a couple good players, some average players, and a couple studs.

In no particular order, the best defenses over the past 5 years would probably be the Steelers, Bucs, Bears, Ravens, Patriots, and Eagles.
    They all use the formula for success described above.
    Rock out with your cock out!!!

"HEY" wrote:
    One of my friends asked me though question a few days ago. The question was: what is the most important part of a defense? The lineman, the linebackers, or the defensive backs?
    I couldn't give an answere to his question that day, but then I thought some more about it...

The defensive backs (corners and safeties) have the primary job to stop the pass.

The defensive linemen have the primary job to stop the run.

... while the linebackers have to do a little bit of both.

So does that mean that linebackers are the most important part since they're kinda an hybrid between defensive backs and defensive linemen - the complete defensive player. My friend thought so.

I think that the defensive linemen are the most important part. There is a common phrase: "the battle are fought in the trenches", and I think that's partly correct. The foundation of a strong run stopping defense is a solid line, just look at the Vikings. It is almost impossible to run against the "Williams Wrecking Crew". However, the D-line is also a bigger factor against the pass than most people think. They don't cover, but their responsibility is to put pressure at the quarterback, which is really important when there is a Manning, Brees, or Brady under the center. A half of a second longer time to stand in the pocket and read the field could be the difference between a TD or a sack or interception.

You could look at it in another way. Imagine that your defense consists of only average players, excluding the linemen which are:

R E

D T

D T

LE
    Jared Allen

Kevin Williams

Albert Haynesworth

Aaron Kampman

... or at the linebacker position you had:

O L B

I L B

I L B

O L B
    Shawne Merriman

Patrick Willis

Ray lewis

DeMarcus Ware

... or in the secondary you had:

C B

F S

S S

C B
    Champ Bailey

Ed Reed

Troy Polamalu

Asante Samuel

I guess we can all agree that either of those three options would be a kick-ass defense.
    i edited your defence and made what would be my defence

HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

"SamOchoCinco" wrote:
    "HEY" wrote:
    One of my friends asked me though question a few days ago. The question was: what is the most important part of a defense? The lineman, the linebackers, or the defensive backs?
    I couldn't give an answere to his question that day, but then I thought some more about it...

The defensive backs (corners and safeties) have the primary job to stop the pass.

The defensive linemen have the primary job to stop the run.

... while the linebackers have to do a little bit of both.

So does that mean that linebackers are the most important part since they're kinda an hybrid between defensive backs and defensive linemen - the complete defensive player. My friend thought so.

I think that the defensive linemen are the most important part. There is a common phrase: "the battle are fought in the trenches", and I think that's partly correct. The foundation of a strong run stopping defense is a solid line, just look at the Vikings. It is almost impossible to run against the "Williams Wrecking Crew". However, the D-line is also a bigger factor against the pass than most people think. They don't cover, but their responsibility is to put pressure at the quarterback, which is really important when there is a Manning, Brees, or Brady under the center. A half of a second longer time to stand in the pocket and read the field could be the difference between a TD or a sack or interception.

You could look at it in another way. Imagine that your defense consists of only average players, excluding the linemen which are:

R E

D T

D T

LE
    Jared Allen

Kevin Williams

Albert Haynesworth

Aaron Kampman

... or at the linebacker position you had:

O L B

I L B

I L B

O L B
    Shawne Merriman

Patrick Willis

Ray lewis

DeMarcus Ware

... or in the secondary you had:

C B

F S

S S

C B
    Champ Bailey

Ed Reed

Troy Polamalu

Asante Samuel

I guess we can all agree that either of those three options would be a kick-ass defense.
    i edited your defence and made what would be my defence
    I'm okay with that.

I wanted to put at least one Viking in all the positions cause we're "that good"
    ;D. I also think that Asante Samuel a better corner than Winfield, but I love Winfield so I had to put him there
    ;D

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12