Mr-holland is offline Team Alumni

Re: Forecasting the NFC North? Good luck

Starting out good is half the work
    Rosie O'Donnell is a dude!

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired

"V" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    This season will be determined by the first 5 games.
    If TJ plays lights out. Defenses will relax the Umbella coverages we have been seeing with 3 deep.
    IF TJ plays like he did late last year, then we will be seeing these coverages all season long, our run game will be limited and our defense will be on the feild very long. The first 5 games!!!
    I don't think that is accurate.

Our first five games last year were very sketch, yet we still rebounded and put together a nice second half.

It's a long season. If we struggle the first 5 games, and the coaching staff is not able to make adjustments during the remaining 11, then that is pathetic.
    The difference V is that teams didn't realize that Tj had a problem defeating the zone blitz or underneath coverage by Lbs. When teams started using umbrella, you saw his stats drop as well as our run game. Do you think teams are going to forget what worked towards the end of last year last year? This wasn't implemented until the 49ers game. Teams were stacking the box before that but still running cover 2, or man.

"skol_vikes!" wrote:
    I don't agree that the first 5 will necessarily "determine" the rest of the season.
    I do; however, believe that those games are indicative of the rest of the season.
    Obviously anythig can happen though
    I think teams will watch film, see our inability to beat that coverage and game plan to beat us.
    It's the inverse of How the Pats beat us in 05 and then every team we faced spread us out and dink and dunked down the field.

I say the first 5 games are important because it will tak eabout that many to get defenses to relize that this is no longer working. If he is successful, then we won't face it for the entire season. If he faulters and regresses, then all the other teams we are going to be facing will see this and will dial it up. TJ has to outplay the defense out of the box.

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

"kevoncox" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    This season will be determined by the first 5 games.
    If TJ plays lights out. Defenses will relax the Umbella coverages we have been seeing with 3 deep.
    IF TJ plays like he did late last year, then we will be seeing these coverages all season long, our run game will be limited and our defense will be on the feild very long. The first 5 games!!!
    I don't think that is accurate.

Our first five games last year were very sketch, yet we still rebounded and put together a nice second half.

It's a long season. If we struggle the first 5 games, and the coaching staff is not able to make adjustments during the remaining 11, then that is pathetic.
    The difference V is that teams didn't realize that Tj had a problem defeating the zone blitz or underneath coverage by Lbs. When teams started using umbrella, you saw his stats drop as well as our run game. Do you think teams are going to forget what worked towards the end of last year last year? This wasn't implemented until the 49ers game. Teams were stacking the box before that but still running cover 2, or man.
    No, I don't think opposing coaches will forget what worked.
    I do however think that our coaches will find ways to exploit the "umbrella".
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

"kevoncox" wrote:
    "skol_vikes!" wrote:
    I don't agree that the first 5 will necessarily "determine" the rest of the season.
    I do; however, believe that those games are indicative of the rest of the season.
    I think teams will watch film, see our inability to beat that coverage and game plan to beat us.
    It's the inverse of How the Pats beat us in 05 and then every team we faced spread us out and dink and dunked down the field.

I say the first 5 games are important because it will tak eabout that many to get defenses to relize that this is no longer working. If he is successful, then we won't face it for the entire season. If he faulters and regresses, then all the other teams we are going to be facing will see this and will dial it up. TJ has to outplay the defense out of the box.
    You are right but making this too simplistic.

If he is successful, teams won't simply ditch the defense and revert back to man-to-man and Cover 2. They'll think up another scheme to frustrate TJ.

If he faulters and regresses, then the coaches need to designate that as a weakness and either coach him so that he is able to beat the defense, or gameplan accordingly to hide that weakness.

It's a continual chess match and it doesn't last until the 5th game, it lasts all season. What if TJ struggles the first 5 games, but our coaches make adjustments and TJ starts to tear apart umbrella defenses the next 3. You think opposing coaches are going to be stupid enough to stay with the scheme that no longer works?
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

"V" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    "skol_vikes!" wrote:

If he is successful, teams won't simply ditch the defense and revert back to man-to-man and Cover 2. They'll think up another scheme to frustrate TJ.

If he faulters and regresses, then the coaches need to designate that as a weakness and either coach him so that he is able to beat the defense, or gameplan accordingly to hide that weakness.

It's a continual chess match and it doesn't last until the 5th game, it lasts all season. What if TJ struggles the first 5 games, but our coaches make adjustments and TJ starts to tear apart umbrella defenses the next 3. You think opposing coaches are going to be stupid enough to stay with the scheme that no longer works?
    The other scheme they will use will not allow them to stop the run as effectively. That's why if he is able to send them back to the drawing board it becomes a case of pick your poision. They cannot start gameplanning against TJ and hope to beat us.

El Vikingo is offline Ring of Fame

"C" wrote:

Agreed... isn't one of the most cliched phrases in the NFL, "It's not how you start, but how you finish..."
    The "one game at a time" (or something like that
    ) is a classic ,last year it was written about 2.000 times.

I can´t wait too
    to see the" we gonna win the SB posters if We beat GB or the
    Armagedon is upon us and Chilly is a douche If we lose our first game"

Is it me or just all the pre-season posts end up arguing about TJ?

The off -season can cause diarrea.
    El underdog.

HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

I have to admit, there's a lot of truth in that article. It kinda makes the NFC North one of the most exciting divisions to watch cause you never know who's gonna win the division. It also doesn't hurt when you have Devin Hester and Adrian Peterson in the same division, two of the most electrifying players of the game (anyone remember that Vikings-Bears game where AD and Hester made like 5 TDs together?)

Anyhow, I think it will be a battle between Vikings and Packers for the #1 spot
    and the Bears and the Lions will battle for the #3 spot.

"kevoncox" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    "skol_vikes!" wrote:

The other scheme they will use will not allow them to stop the run as effectively. That's why if he is able to send them back to the drawing board it becomes a case of pick your poision. They cannot start gameplanning against TJ and hope to beat us.
    Ahh, good point.

I can't imagine a scenario where TJ is dangerous enough to concern defenses more than AD. Teams we faced late in the season didn't gameplan against TJ. They focused on our running game, tried to shut it down, and forced TJ to beat them. TJ couldn't do it.

Even if TJ starts to strive against run-oriented defenses, AD is too much of a threat to ignore. They may give TJ different looks on passing down to try to confuse the QB, but the D's main focus will always be the running game.
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12