Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

Forecasting the NFC North? Good luck

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8350716/Forecasting-the-NFC-North?-Good-luck

The Vikings (The Summertime Champs)
    Which leads us to everybody's summertime NFC champs: the Minnesota Vikings. Minnesota has received rave reviews for its off-season activity and has been practically handed the 2008 NFC North title by pundits across the board. Rarely do we see teams get so much mid-summer hype. But there's something worth noting about summertime champions — they're rarely the ones hoisting the Lombardi Trophy in February.

Sure, the acquisition of Jared Allen solidified Minnesota as owners of arguably the most dominant offensive and defensive lines in the entire league. The Bernard Berrian pickup was a no-brainer, too. Madieu Williams adds another tough safety to an already solid defensive backfield as well.

But I'm a bit hesitant crowning any team that finished 8-8 a year ago anything, let alone labeling them as conference favorites.

After all, pressure and lofty expectations are a curious beast. Especially with a 25-year-old quarterback who's thrown just 11 career touchdowns leading the way. Keep in mind, this is a franchise that hasn't won a conference championship in 32 years; a franchise that has experienced postseason football just once in the past seven years; a franchise with a fan base as passionate as any other in the league. Minnesota fans want this. Hell, Minnesota fans need this.

Is Tarvaris Jackson going to be able to live up to these expectations? Is he going to be able to stay confident when the fans turn on him and are calling for John David Booty? It's a fragile situation. And one that has the potential to explode. As is the case with their three NFC North rivals, we'll have to wait and see.

As of mid-July, I'm going to slate the NFC North as anybody's division to win. It's truly a crapshoot.

Picking a winner? Well, your best bet is investing in some ping pong balls and a water cooler tank

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Forecasting the NFC North? Good luck

The Vikings (The Summertime Champs)

ha, i kinda like that

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

Mr-holland is offline Team Alumni

If there is anybody calling for Booty they get on my ignore list
    >

If you didn't want TJ to start last year, then don't whine about booty playing this year. It's Jackson and then Frerotte you braindead writer...
    Rosie O'Donnell is a dude!

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

I think we should fire chilly, cut TJack and start Booty, He's obviously the better option, and he's more prepared since he played in a pro style offense.

As much as I hate to admit it.
    The writer is pretty accurate.
    On paper we are dominant in all the areas except the most important.
    The problem though is what does that translate to during the season.

My hopes are that is translates to early surprise TD’s by the improved play of T-Jack and the addition of Berrian.
    And then we continue to build on that progress.

One of the biggest heartbreaks that Viking fans face every year is the off-season.
    Why?
    Because we are always a hot-pick to win the division, and the conference.
    Then disappointment sets in and those dreams disappear .
    Now me, I truly am optimistic this year.
    I think we can easily be a 10 win team maybe even 12.
    I just hope this off season is unlike the last few, and the team lives up to all the expectations

olson_10 is offline Ring of Fame

"Mr-holland" wrote:
    If there is anybody calling for Booty they get on my ignore list
    >

If you didn't want TJ to start last year, then don't whine about booty playing this year. It's Jackson and then Frerotte you braindead writer...
    everyone wants a little booty
    People who see life as anything more than pure entertainment are missing the point.

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired

This season will be determined by the first 5 games.
    If TJ plays lights out. Defenses will relax the Umbella coverages we have been seeing with 3 deep.
    IF TJ plays like he did late last year, then we will be seeing these coverages all season long, our run game will be limited and our defense will be on the feild very long. The first 5 games!!!

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

"kevoncox" wrote:
    If TJ plays lights out. Defenses will relax the Umbella coverages we have been seeing with 3 deep.
    IF TJ plays like he did late last year, then we will be seeing these coverages all season long, our run game will be limited and our defense will be on the feild very long. The first 5 games!!!
    I don't think that is accurate.

Our first five games last year were very sketch, yet we still rebounded and put together a nice second half.

It's a long season. If we struggle the first 5 games, and the coaching staff is not able to make adjustments during the remaining 11, then that is pathetic.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

"V" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    I don't think that is accurate.

Our first five games last year were very sketch, yet we still rebounded and put together a nice second half.

It's a long season. If we struggle the first 5 games, and the coaching staff is not able to make adjustments during the remaining 11, then that is pathetic.
    Agreed... isn't one of the most cliched phrases in the NFL, "It's not how you start, but how you finish..."

I think that holds a bit more water than the first 5 games deciding our season... I mean, just ask the Giants.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

skol_vikes! is offline Rookie

I don't agree that the first 5 will necessarily "determine" the rest of the season.
    I do; however, believe that those games are indicative of the rest of the season.
    Obviously anythig can happen though
    "If it's not fun, you're not doing it right. "
    ~ Fran Tarkenton

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast