Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Force out rule removed!

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/04/02/force-out-facemask-rules-changed/

NFL teams approved several rules changes at the league meeting today, most of which were an effort to make the rules easier to understand and enforce.

The biggest change is that the force out rule no longer exists. In the past, if a receiver jumped to catch a ball and was pushed out of bounds while he was in the air, officials had to make a judgment call to determine whether he would have come down in bounds. That rule, which many observers felt was enforced inconsistently, has been eliminated, and now it’s simple: If the receiver didn’t touch two feet or one of any other body part in bounds, it’s an incomplete pass.
    The five yard facemask penalty was also removed.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

dcboardr41 is offline Team Alumni

Re: Force out rule removed!

"NodakPaul" wrote:

NFL teams approved several rules changes at the league meeting today, most of which were an effort to make the rules easier to understand and enforce.

The biggest change is that the force out rule no longer exists. In the past, if a receiver jumped to catch a ball and was pushed out of bounds while he was in the air, officials had to make a judgment call to determine whether he would have come down in bounds. That rule, which many observers felt was enforced inconsistently, has been eliminated, and now it’s simple: If the receiver didn’t touch two feet or one of any other body part in bounds, it’s an incomplete pass.
    horrible change, i cant believe they totally got rid of it, it should have been a reviewable play, the NFL messed up

Pissing on the Pack since 08'

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

I don't have a problem with that.
    Take as much subjectivity out of the equation as possible.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"NodakPaul" wrote:

I agree with the first, but not the second.
    I think that will be a fiasco the first couple weeks of the season.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Blog Entries

"Zeus" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:

I agree with the first, but not the second.
    I think that will be a fiasco the first couple weeks of the season.

=Z=
    You don't agree with the removal of the minor facemask?
    I think the intent is that accidental grabs where they immediately let go are no longer flagged.
    Hold on at all and it is 15.
    Makes sense to me, because the distinction between 5 and 15 varied quite a bit.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Blog Entries

"dcboardr41" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:

horrible change, i cant believe they totally got rid of it, it should have been a reviewable play, the NFL messed up
    I am good with it.
    It will change the way some routes are run, but nothing major, and it completely eliminates the subjectiveness.
    Replay would have helped, but not been a solution, because it would still be a subjective call, and a hard one to make in the confines of the replay time.
    Zeus wrote:

=Z=

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    "dcboardr41" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:

I am good with it.
    It will change the way some routes are run, but nothing major, and it completely eliminates the subjectiveness.
    Replay would have helped, but not been a solution, because it would still be a subjective call, and a hard one to make in the confines of the replay time.
    so if a WR runs an out route, jumps to catch it, and clearly is about to land in bounds and the defenders\ doesnt allow him to do that, thats ok? i dont think it should be

Blog Entries

"dcboardr41" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "dcboardr41" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:

I am good with it.
    so if a WR runs an out route, jumps to catch it, and clearly is about to land in bounds and the defenders\ doesnt allow him to do that, thats ok? i dont think it should be
    Clearly being the operative word in that sentance.
    More often than not, incidents involving the force out were not clear at all.
    And the criteria for a force out would change from official to official.
    Like I said, it will affect sideline routes, shrinking the field slightly (by a couple of feet on either side), but I don't think it will make a huge difference in the game.

As long as a WR touches the ball before a defender touches him, it is just fine.
    To me it is no different than when a defender hits a WR before he has possession and causes a drop.
    The defender did his job by not allowing a completion.
    I bet there are corners all around the league who are celebrating as we speak...
    Zeus wrote:

=Z=

I like the elimination of the force-out rule, but my memory is that the force-out is called maybe 15-20 times/year across the entire league.
    So maybe we have one or two plays during the Vike's year that are affected.
    Probably not a big deal, but I say make them earn it Cris Carter style.

I don't know if I like the elimination of the 5-yard incidental facemask penalty.
    My understanding is that those penalties would now be 15-yard penalties, which seems harsh for something that doesn't affect the play.
    The hope would have to be that it would decrease risk of injury.
    Probably also increases scoring a bit.
    Not sure if my interpretation is correct though - maybe they just don't call those penalties.
    When the age of the Vikings came to a close, they must have sensed it. Probably, they gathered together one evening, slapped each other on the back and said, "Hey, good job." - Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    "dcboardr41" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "dcboardr41" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:

I am good with it.
    Clearly being the operative word in that sentance.
    More often than not, incidents involving the force out were not clear at all.
    And the criteria for a force out would change from official to official.
    Like I said, it will affect sideline routes, shrinking the field slightly (by a couple of feet on either side), but I don't think it will make a huge difference in the game.

As long as a WR touches the ball before a defender touches him, it is just fine.
    To me it is no different than when a defender hits a WR before he has possession and causes a drop.
    The defender did his job by not allowing a completion.
    I bet there are corners all around the league who are celebrating as we speak...
    yeah i understand, but there is still gonna be some kind of controversy in a game that still has to do with this, i just hope its not with the vikes.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast