Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RK.
    RK. is offline Ring of Fame Rally Cross II Champion

The Footage NFL Won't Show

Interesting article.

Every play during an NFL game is filmed from multiple angles in high definition. There are cameras hovering over the field, cameras lashed to the goalposts and cameras pointed at the coaches, who have to cover their mouths to call plays.

But for all the footage available, and despite the $4 billion or so the NFL makes every year by selling its broadcast rights, there's some footage the league keeps hidden.

If you ask the league to see the footage that was taken from on high to show the entire field and what all 22 players did on every play, the response will be emphatic. "NO ONE gets that," NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy wrote in an email. This footage, added fellow league spokesman Greg Aiello, "is regarded at this point as proprietary NFL coaching information."

For decades, NFL TV broadcasts have relied most heavily on one view: the shot from a sideline camera that follows the progress of the ball. Anyone who wants to analyze the game, however, prefers to see the pulled-back camera angle known as the "All 22."

While this shot makes the players look like stick figures, it allows students of the game to see things that are invisible to TV watchers: like what routes the receivers ran, how the defense aligned itself and who made blocks past the line of scrimmage.

By distributing this footage only to NFL teams, and rationing it out carefully to its TV partners and on its web site, the NFL has created a paradox. The most-watched sport in the U.S. is also arguably the least understood. "I don't think you can get a full understanding without watching the entirety of the game," says former head coach Bill Parcells. The zoomed-in footage on TV broadcasts, he says, only shows a "fragment" of what happens on the field.
    Entire article here at Wall Street Journal

NFL: The All-22 Football Footage the League Won't Show You - WSJ.com

WWBGD

RK.
    I love this quote from the article.

Lonnie Marts, a former linebacker for the Jacksonville Jaguars, says there are thousands of former NFL players who could easily pick apart play-calling and player performance if they had access to this film. "If you knew the game, you'd know that sometimes there's a lot of bonehead plays and bonehead coaching going on out there," he says.
    Its amazing to me that the NFL is afraid that the fans might be more critical of coach's and play calling than they are now and that is the reason they won't release the film. They are protecting people like Childress and keeping them in their jobs for years more than they should be.

WWBGD

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    There is no need for us to see video of what all 22 players are doing from an aerial perspective on any given play as long as we have Marrdro & his spreadheets (from his television perspective) that he can draw from.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

RK.
    There is no need for us to see video of what all 22 players are doing from an aerial perspective on any given play as long as we have Marrdro & his spreadheets (from his television perspective) that he can draw from.
    Now that right there is funny.

WWBGD

Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    I for one like Marrs analysis and his passion for the game. I don't always agree with him, but I respect his take and his devotion to the team/game. I like what your take is at times also and wouldn't disregard your opinions based on limited camera angles. We do and say what we can based on what is available to the average viewer. Good or bad it's the nature of the beast and is what makes this site go round.
    I bet you could use a cool one huh Clark...Now you're talkin Eddie...

jessejames09 is offline Ring of Fame
    Charley Casserly, a former general manager who was a member of the NFL's competition committee, says he voted against releasing All-22 footage because he worried that if fans had access, it would open players and teams up to a level of criticism far beyond the current hum of talk radio. Casserly believed fans would jump to conclusions after watching one or two games in the All 22, without knowing the full story.
    You don't need 'all 22' tape to know that Casserly is an idiot...

NFL.com Blogs » Blog Archive Casserly mock top 10: No room for Newton «

Casserly has Clemson DE Da’Quan Bowers going No. 1 overall to the Panthers. So far, so good, right?
    Noticeably absent, as you’ve by now surmised, is easily the most polarizing player available, who many believe could go No. 1 overall: No Cam Newton in this mock draft.

Casserly is known to not be high on Newton and wouldn’t take the Auburn QB in the first round.

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired
    You crack me up, my friend.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by RK. View Post
    Interesting article.

Entire article here at Wall Street Journal

NFL: The All-22 Football Footage the League Won't Show You - WSJ.com
    That's a big part of the reason why I like where my seat is at the Dome. I can see the formations and which players are on the field from up in the 2nd deck.

Would be nice to see more of this footage - that's why NFL Matchup is such an awesome show.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    I absolutely hate the way we are forced to watch a football game.

I've complained for years that I would kill to get "Coaches Game Tape". Heck, I even came up with a new way of watching football (started a thread on here about it) and sent the idea to the NFL.

Having said all that, I don't think I do to bad a job when it comes to charting a game, based on the limited views we have, but don't really think things will change until more fans crave the data someone like me is trying to get.

Most fans, and I'm not trying to say its bad or anything, are happy just following the ball. I'm just not one of them. I love to watch the chess matches that are played on the lines and the gamesmenship between the WR's and DB's.

In the end, its still the greatest game every played and no matter what view I'm forced to watch, I will watch it.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Quote Originally Posted by RK. View Post
    Now that right there is funny.
    .....snicker.....
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast