Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

Flawed owner involvement is one of worst-kept secrets in sports

Some nice columns on SI.com today!

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...ers/index.html

[size=12pt]Flawed owner involvement is one of worst-kept secrets in sports[/size]
    Ross Tucker
    Posted: Wednesday October 28, 2009 3:45PM; Updated: Wednesday October 28, 2009 7:02PM

The general consensus among fans in our nation's capital is that Jim Zorn is not the problem. It's not that they think he's a good head coach, because they don't. It's more that firing Zorn is like putting a band-aid over a gunshot wound. It may cover up the hole momentarily, but the problem is still there. Namely in team owner Daniel Snyder.

Flawed owner involvement is one of the worst-kept secrets in sports. That we almost never hear about the "suggestions" ownership makes to management and coaches is understandable.Those executives and coaches know it would be career suicide to place any type of blame on the owner. Heck, at Redskins home games these days, security personnel allegedly threaten fans with eviction if they're wearing or carrying any anti-Snyder clothing or banners.

As a player, you're never privy to the conversations that take place between ownership and their staff, though sometimes a decision can be so head-scratching that you figure something must be up.
    And I love this bit:

It's easy for fans to point to the relative lack of success of teams like the Cowboys and Redskins of late and blame the owners for being overly involved. The suggestion being, of course, that Jones and Snyder hire "real" football men, then step aside and let them do their thing. That sounds all well and good, but would you do that? If you were the owner of an NFL team, would you take a backseat and decline to have significant input on all of the football decisions? I didn't think so.

You see, making the decisions is why businessmen like Jones and Snyder get involved in pro football. It's an adrenaline rush. Snyder and Jones, and owners like them, are playing the coolest game of "Madden" or "Fantasy Football" ever, only the people involved are real and the buy-in for their fantasy league is about $799,999,980 more than the $20 league you're in. It's no secret that one of the reasons Marty Schottenheimer lasted only one year in Washington was that Snyder wasn't having a whole lot of fun being behind the scenes. Not his style.
    That's a really good point.
    To have enough money to buy a team now (rather than having it handed down via family connections, ala the Rooneys in Pittsburgh or the Maras with the NYGiants) one has to be uber-successful prior to buying the team.
    Those guys tend to be egomaniacs.
    So, expecting them to stand back from their toy and let "football" men run the show is probably not realistic.

Makes me respect the Wilfs that much more.
    I haven't really noticed ANY meddling from them in how Childress, Spielman, Bryzasindfasdfassfdfkjski and Studwell are running the organization.
    That's gotta be hard.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: Flawed owner involvement is one of worst-kept secrets in sports

"Zeus" wrote:

[size=12pt]Flawed owner involvement is one of worst-kept secrets in sports[/size]
    Ross Tucker
    Posted: Wednesday October 28, 2009 3:45PM; Updated: Wednesday October 28, 2009 7:02PM

The general consensus among fans in our nation's capital is that Jim Zorn is not the problem. It's not that they think he's a good head coach, because they don't. It's more that firing Zorn is like putting a band-aid over a gunshot wound. It may cover up the hole momentarily, but the problem is still there. Namely in team owner Daniel Snyder.

Flawed owner involvement is one of the worst-kept secrets in sports. That we almost never hear about the "suggestions" ownership makes to management and coaches is understandable.Those executives and coaches know it would be career suicide to place any type of blame on the owner. Heck, at Redskins home games these days, security personnel allegedly threaten fans with eviction if they're wearing or carrying any anti-Snyder clothing or banners.

As a player, you're never privy to the conversations that take place between ownership and their staff, though sometimes a decision can be so head-scratching that you figure something must be up.
    And I love this bit:

It's easy for fans to point to the relative lack of success of teams like the Cowboys and Redskins of late and blame the owners for being overly involved. The suggestion being, of course, that Jones and Snyder hire "real" football men, then step aside and let them do their thing. That sounds all well and good, but would you do that? If you were the owner of an NFL team, would you take a backseat and decline to have significant input on all of the football decisions? I didn't think so.

You see, making the decisions is why businessmen like Jones and Snyder get involved in pro football. It's an adrenaline rush. Snyder and Jones, and owners like them, are playing the coolest game of "Madden" or "Fantasy Football" ever, only the people involved are real and the buy-in for their fantasy league is about $799,999,980 more than the $20 league you're in. It's no secret that one of the reasons Marty Schottenheimer lasted only one year in Washington was that Snyder wasn't having a whole lot of fun being behind the scenes. Not his style.
    To have enough money to buy a team now (rather than having it handed down via family connections, ala the Rooneys in Pittsburgh or the Maras with the NYGiants) one has to be uber-successful prior to buying the team.
    So, expecting them to stand back from their toy and let "football" men run the show is probably not realistic.

I haven't really noticed ANY meddling from them in how Childress, Spielman, Bryzasindfasdfassfdfkjski and Studwell are running the organization.
    That's gotta be hard.

=Z=
    Good stuff.

I'm not so sure that just because a guy is successfull at his craft, he is a guy who would want a say in everything.
    Typicall cats of that nature are smart enough to recognize they can't do everything or understand everything for that matter.

Thats why they go ahead and hire staffs, typically that are well versed in thier areas of expertise, to run things.

Kindof funny when you think about it, the teams that have owners (that have no football background in the FO) trying to be football guys, are the teams that are struggling.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:

Ross Tucker

And I love this bit:

That's gotta be hard.

=Z=
    Good stuff.

I'm not so sure that just because a guy is successfull at his craft, he is a guy who would want a say in everything.
    Typicall cats of that nature are smart enough to recognize they can't do everything or understand everything for that matter.

Thats why they go ahead and hire staffs, typically that are well versed in thier areas of expertise, to run things.

Kindof funny when you think about it, the teams that have owners (that have no football background in the FO) trying to be football guys, are the teams that are struggling.
    +1 Marty. Great take on the subject.

As a business owner you man micro manage every detail when the company is very small, but as it grows and develops layers of personnel, then the effective leaders are the ones who hire excellent people to run the nuts and bolts of the company. Any owner who thinks they can buy an NFL franchise and suddenly be an expert in managing it is in for disappointment.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Zeus" wrote:

Ross Tucker

And I love this bit:

That's gotta be hard.

=Z=
    they seem pretty hushed up over what goes on behind locked doors in winter park.
    I don't think Zygi is overly involved, but I bet he has alot to say on some cases.
    Take Allen for example, Zygi had to draw from his own funds to pay his bonus.
    I have a feeling as soon as someone mentioned Allen was available he said "oo yea get him!"