singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Flanagan, Fisher find new homes

[size=18px]Flanagan, Fisher find new homes[/size]

Packers showed little interest in veterans

By BOB McGINN
    [email protected]
    Posted: March 23, 2006

Green Bay - Center Mike Flanagan and running back Tony Fisher, a pair of smart, savvy veteran players, signed with new teams Thursday after being given short shrift in free agency by the Green Bay Packers.

Flanagan received a three-year contract worth $9 million from the Houston Texans, where he will be reunited with assistant head coach and offensive line coach Mike Sherman. He will get a $3 million signing bonus.

Fisher accepted a one-year deal for not much more than minimum salary from the St. Louis Rams. His deal contained a modest signing bonus.

Meanwhile, the Packers are among at least three teams expressing an interest in Oakland Raiders cornerback Charles Woodson. His agent, Carl Poston, said he was trying to schedule Woodson for a visit to Green Bay next week. He was to visit Tampa Bay today and probably Seattle over the weekend.

Woodson, 29, suffered a broken leg in Week 6 and spent the rest of the season on injured reserve. He has started 103 of 106 games since joining the Raiders as the fourth pick in the 1998 draft, and has 17 interceptions. Last June, Pro Football Weekly ranked Woodson as the ninth-best cornerback in the National Football League.

Although the Packers said they wanted Flanagan and Fisher back, their actions suggested that they didn't. Agent Jim Steiner indicated that there was no reason for him to get back to club negotiator Andrew Brandt this week because Green Bay's offer wasn't sufficient.

"Were they in it?" Steiner asked Thursday night. "They never really stepped up. They were very limited with their financial parameters."

Green Bay is about $20 million beneath the salary cap, a total exceeded by only two or three teams.

Flanagan, 32, will assume the starting center job on what might have been the worst offensive line in the NFL.

"Mike is excited," Steiner said. "He set parameters himself and stuck to it. Either someone had to meet it if they wanted him or he would very seriously contemplate retirement."

Previously, general manager Ted Thompson said if Flanagan didn't return he would consider letting young players Scott Wells, Junius Coston and Chris White battle for the job. Carolina's Jeff Mitchell and Buffalo's Trey Teague are the best veteran centers on the unrestricted market.

"If he got that kind of money, that's a hell of a deal for Mike Flanagan," coach Mike McCarthy said. "I think Mike's biggest issue is his health. He's done it for a long time at a high level. Both coach Joe Philbin and James Campen hold Mike in high regard."

Flanagan tried to send a message to the organization and his teammates last season by returning to the lineup 25 days after undergoing sports hernia surgery. In 10 years, he started 64 of 98 games. Only two players, Brett Favre and William Henderson, had been with Green Bay longer.

"Playing with a sports hernia after two weeks, that speaks for itself," McCarthy said. "Free agency is a competitive market. You like to win them all. It doesn't always happen."

Not only did Flanagan play for Sherman in Green Bay but also at UCLA in 1994. The Packers took him in the third round in 1996 but his first three seasons were ruined by a devastating leg injury.

Signed as an undrafted free agent from Notre Dame in '02, Fisher was the No. 3 running back for most of the last four seasons. He played 30.3% of the downs in 2004 and 38.9% in '05, when his 430 snaps were the most for any of the team's backs.

"Obviously, Green Bay was my first choice but they really didn't do anything," Fisher said. "The coaches all said they wanted me back but, obviously, it's not up to them. It's not even Andrew. Andrew just does the talking when Ted says so.

"I can't speak for everybody. There could be a great deal of uncertainty on what's going on. Nobody knows what the direction is. Either you're rebuilding or you're not rebuilding. It's crazy.

"He (Thompson) might just want his people in there. Considering a lot of us didn't come from his drafts or him bringing us in, maybe he wants to go in another direction."

Fisher, who said he never received an offer from Green Bay, decided to take the Rams' offer and cancel scheduled visits with Pittsburgh and Buffalo. He will back up Steven Jackson.

"Nobody knows what Marshall Faulk might do," Fisher said. "I'll do the third-down stuff. Play a little fullback; I'll do tailback and special teams. I'm going to be versatile throughout the whole system.

"I loved it in Green Bay. I love the fans and I was always out in the community. Unfortunately, things didn't work out the way I would have liked for it up in Green Bay."

Starting five of 60 games, Fisher finished with 235 carries for 880 yards (3.7-yard average) and four touchdowns, and 125 receptions for 900 yards (7.2) and five touchdowns.

From the March 24, 2006 editions of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

Flanagan, Fisher find new homes

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Re: Flanagan, Fisher find new homes

That's two more gone from GB. They have lost a lot of FA to other teams this offseason & haven't made much of an effort to resign any of them.

It appears they are in a rebuilding mode, but how many of those positions can they re=coupe in the draft?

This is a list of players that won't be back with GB next year;

Ahman Green RB
    Craig Nall QB UFA
    Grady Jackson DT
    Grey Ruegamer OG
    Mike Flanagan C
    Paris Lenon LB
    Ryan Longwell PK
    Tony Fisher RB

It also appears as if Walker won't be back

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

"singersp" wrote:
    That's two more gone from GB. They have lost a lot of FA to other teams this offseason & haven't made much of an effort to resign any of them.

It appears they are in a rebuilding mode, but how many of those positions can they re=coupe in the draft?

Ahman Green RB
    Craig Nall QB UFA
    Grady Jackson DT
    Grey Ruegamer OG
    Mike Flanagan C
    Paris Lenon LB
    Ryan Longwell PK
    Tony Fisher RB

Wow!

Green Bay had more money than the Vikings did when FA started, and have done nothing with it! The let 2 of the best O-line go, along with their #1, #2 & #3 running backs at the start of last season (I do not think Davenport is going back to GB either). Who is running that organization, and what are they thinking?

All they have at QB right now is Aaron Rogers, if Favre does not come back they are screwed. Why would Favre come back after this terrible off season? Maybe they are trying to force him to retire!
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

Texans are looking to protect David Carr! Im glad, I feel bad for the guy...

They should really trade that pick to the Jets or something and get D'Brick and just use Domanick.. He is awesome

"singersp" wrote:

Ahman Green RB
    Craig Nall QB UFA
    Grady Jackson DT
    Grey Ruegamer OG
    Mike Flanagan C
    Paris Lenon LB
    Ryan Longwell PK
    Tony Fisher RB

didnt they resign ahman green?

Ya, Ahman resigned, I think its only a one year deal, but I know he will be with them.

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

It is a rebuilding year. I still think they are trying to tell Favre we don't want you back this year. Thompson is to big of a puss.

The will see who they have on their team, and make it obvious who they can still develop for years to come and the ones that will be role players. Then next year draft (along with this years) and next years FA, they will start bebuilding and make a serious push.

Sucks to be a Packer fan for the next couple of years!!

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Flanigan is probably drooling about getting to block for Reggie Bush...he won't have to hold his blocks as long since once Reggie gets the ball, he will be through the hole as quick as lightning!

It also appears that the Rams are intent on acquiring as many NFC North players as they possibly can...Linehan must have a dossier on every single one of those players...I'm surprised that he hasn't gone after Edinger yet! :lol:
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

Honestly, why in the hell would Favre want to come back to this hell hole they call a team? If that is not rebuilding then I have no idea what is. At this point in time, the only have a rookie QB on the roster. Sucks to be them, I am sure glad that Wilf bought the Minnesota Vikings, and brought this orginization back up...

Skol Zygi Wilf

Skol Brad Childress

Skol Viking fans

sharper42 is offline Pro-Bowler

packers are gunna have a crappy line next year
    our only sure-handed receiver