Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re:Five teams can balance attacks with big backs

Marrdro wrote:

a. Short yardage (3rd and short - anyplace on the field)
    b. Red Zone (Especially inside the 10 and when we want to chew up the clock and are far enough ahead to settle for 3).
    c. Regular, 3 Wide, Single back Set (Any place on the field).
    so let me get this straight, you think he'll play short yardage, inside the redzone, and in regular, 3 wide and singleback sets.

Hmm... what else is missing? Seems to me that that woudl be something a #1 back would do. I find it hard to believe they're all of a sudden going to give Gerhart such a large role. To a rookie.

Peterson was given 20+ carries a game when he started, but he was top of the draft talent. Gerhart is not Adrian peterson. They're not going to split time evenly or anything like that, I'd be willing to bet on that.

Gerhart will likely have a small role at first, playing some short yardage, playing some big formations, and perhaps on some surprise draws, but with the increase in production we saw from peterson in the 3rd down/passing role, I bet he gets the majority of those situations.

Think about it. They knew Taylor was on his last year, and I bet they knew he wasn't coming back. I'd imagine they increased Peterson's role in the passing game like they did so they could see what progress he's making and if its cause for concern. Based on the fact they drafted a bruising runner, and not an agile scat-back type RB, I bet they intend on using Peterson alot in the passing game this year. Especially if Favre comes back.

Also, look back at Peterson's TD's last year. Not a whole lot of them came from far out like previous years. Reason he went from 10 last year to over 15 this year is because he was used in goalline situations quite effectively. I bet he still gets alot of those reps.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Zeus wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    Zeus wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    Because of his versatility (at least percieved) he will get more reps that CT IMHO.
    Wow. He hasn't had one real practice yet and you're putting him at a higher workload than a 1000+ yard back.

A. Maze. Ing.
    Whats more amazing is I put the caveat "At least percieved" in there just for you and you still replied the way I knew you would.
    Whatever, Marty. You flip-flop more than Jimmy Buffet's footgear, so I'm sure you'll find a way to spin it towards your "Aw-shucks" yutziness no matter how the reality pans out.

=Z=
    See, your catching onto me as well. But hey, weren't you getting on me the other day when I was down on the defense?

In the end, its the offseason. Everything is bright and sunny and all of them are gonna be "Probowlers", atleast until we actually see them play.

On a side note, didn't you pooh pooh away how good PH was gonna do last year when we were all excited about him?
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Blog Entries

Marrdro wrote:
    Zeus wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    Zeus wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    Because of his versatility (at least percieved) he will get more reps that CT IMHO.
    Wow. He hasn't had one real practice yet and you're putting him at a higher workload than a 1000+ yard back.

A. Maze. Ing.
    Whats more amazing is I put the caveat "At least percieved" in there just for you and you still replied the way I knew you would.
    Whatever, Marty. You flip-flop more than Jimmy Buffet's footgear, so I'm sure you'll find a way to spin it towards your "Aw-shucks" yutziness no matter how the reality pans out.

=Z=
    See, your catching onto me as well. But hey, weren't you getting on me the other day when I was down on the defense?

In the end, its the offseason. Everything is bright and sunny and all of them are gonna be "Probowlers", atleast until we actually see them play.

On a side note, didn't you pooh pooh away how good PH was gonna do last year when we were all excited about him?
    I seem to recall him saying not to expect him to go off with 1000 yards and be the next wes welker, which is reasonable. Especially, since we didn't have Favre at the time eitehr. No way Harvin gets 800 yards with TJ or Sage throwing the rock. We'd be more of a running team.

i_bleed_purple wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:

b. Red Zone (Especially inside the 10 and when we want to chew up the clock and are far enough ahead to settle for 3).
    so let me get this straight, you think he'll play short yardage, inside the redzone, and in regular, 3 wide and singleback sets.

Hmm... what else is missing? Seems to me that that woudl be something a #1 back would do. I find it hard to believe they're all of a sudden going to give Gerhart such a large role. To a rookie.

Peterson was given 20+ carries a game when he started, but he was top of the draft talent. Gerhart is not Adrian peterson. They're not going to split time evenly or anything like that, I'd be willing to bet on that.

Gerhart will likely have a small role at first, playing some short yardage, playing some big formations, and perhaps on some surprise draws, but with the increase in production we saw from peterson in the 3rd down/passing role, I bet he gets the majority of those situations.

Think about it. They knew Taylor was on his last year, and I bet they knew he wasn't coming back. I'd imagine they increased Peterson's role in the passing game like they did so they could see what progress he's making and if its cause for concern. Based on the fact they drafted a bruising runner, and not an agile scat-back type RB, I bet they intend on using Peterson alot in the passing game this year. Especially if Favre comes back.

Also, look back at Peterson's TD's last year. Not a whole lot of them came from far out like previous years. Reason he went from 10 last year to over 15 this year is because he was used in goalline situations quite effectively. I bet he still gets alot of those reps.
    Were in there did you see me say that AD was not gonna get his reps?

What I said was.....

I think alot of people are going to be suprised how this kid gets used.
    Didn't CT get reps inside the Redzone? Didn't CT get reps when everyone of the talking heads, sports hacks etc kept wondering why CT was in in certain situations when the #1 back was on the sideline?

Truth of the matter is, since day one, this staff has tried to limit AD's reps in an effort to extend his career. To think that Toby was brought in to ride the pine and not get some of those reps is kindof ignoring that little bit of history that we've seen thus far.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

i_bleed_purple wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    Zeus wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    Zeus wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:

A. Maze. Ing.

=Z=

I seem to recall him saying not to expect him to go off with 1000 yards and be the next wes welker, which is reasonable. Especially, since we didn't have Favre at the time eitehr. No way Harvin gets 800 yards with TJ or Sage throwing the rock. We'd be more of a running team.
    Well, that is pretty close, at least its a readers digest version.

I seem to remember that Z was pretty hard on the cats who were excited to see PH on the roster.

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

Marrdro wrote:

I try not to get to high (or low) about any rookie who hasn't stepped onto the field of play.

I never poo-poo'd Percy. I was against the selection because of his risks (namely the drug program stuff) and the need for an OT. I have since re-thought that position and am glad we have him.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

Marrdro wrote:
    I seem to remember that Z was pretty hard on the cats who were excited to see PH on the roster.
    That was immediately following his selection. And then, as I do with all rookies, seek to temper expectations before they get onto the field.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Blog Entries

Marrdro wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:

Were in there did you see me say that AD was not gonna get his reps?

What I said was.....

I think alot of people are going to be suprised how this kid gets used.
    Didn't CT get reps inside the Redzone? Didn't CT get reps when everyone of the talking heads, sports hacks etc kept wondering why CT was in in certain situations when the #1 back was on the sideline?

Truth of the matter is, since day one, this staff has tried to limit AD's reps in an effort to extend his career. To think that Toby was brought in to ride the pine and not get some of those reps is kindof ignoring that little bit of history that we've seen thus far.
    really? He averages 20 carries a game. In the past two seasons he's averaged 21, and then take into account we've turned into more of a passing team with Favre than running team. He also had almost the same amount of receptions that CT got this year (44 vs. 43) for more yardage and a much better average.

To compare, Taylor has watched his carries decrease every season as Peterson takes an INCREASED workload. 303 carries as a starter, to 157 in Peterson's rookie year, 101 and 94 the following two years.

in terms of percentages of touches between the two:

2007: AD: 250 CT: 186 -> 57.4%/42.6%
    2008: AD: 384 CT: 146 -> 72.5%/27.5%
    2009: AD: 357 CT: 138 -> 72.2%/27.8%

Now, how exactly does that translate to "this staff [trying] to limit AD's reps in an effort to extend his career" The percentage of touches between the two has gone from close in his rookie year, to almost 3 touches by Peterson for every 1 by Taylor.

Since you like to throw out vague comments, then pounce on people who comment on yoru comment. Why not give us a bold prediction? How many carries, catches, yards, td's and averages do you think Gerhart will get?

I bet it goes something near:
    150 carries, 12 catches, 650 total yards, and 5 total touchdowns.

Also, just to justify, my predictions last year were:
    Shank: "Something along the lines of 50 receptions, six to ten TDs and 700+ yards is not out of the question for Shiancoe"
    (actual: 56 rec, 566 yards and 11 TD's)
    Harvin: "Don't expect him to top 1,000 receiving yards and 10 TDs, but 700 combined rushing and receiving yards with six to eight touchdowns would be a great start for him."
    (actual: 925 combined yards, 6 TD's)
    CT/AD receiving duties: "Chester Taylor has also been quite a reliable receiving target, catching 45 passes last season for 399 yards and two touchdowns. Peterson, whose numbers have been lower than Taylor's, has been working hard this offseason on his receiving abilities, and could turn into a legitimate threat as a receiver as well as a runner."
    Seems the last part of that was true.

dated: August 20, 2009

i_bleed_purple wrote:
    really? He averages 20 carries a game. In the past two seasons he's averaged 21, and then take into account we've turned into more of a passing team with Favre than running team. He also had almost the same amount of receptions that CT got this year (44 vs. 43) for more yardage and a much better average.

To compare, Taylor has watched his carries decrease every season as Peterson takes an INCREASED workload. 303 carries as a starter, to 157 in Peterson's rookie year, 101 and 94 the following two years.

Now, how exactly does that translate to "this staff [trying] to limit AD's reps in an effort to extend his career" The percentage of touches between the two has gone from close in his rookie year, to almost 3 touches by Peterson for every 1 by Taylor.
    Not sure were you got your numbers.....

2009 AD had 315 Att/CT had 93
    2008 AD had 363 Att/CT had 101
    2007 AD had 116 Att/CT had 109

Profootball Focus HB Stats

Looks to me like the backup RB got around 100 avg with AD taking a hit in numbers of reps.

Since you like to throw out vague comments, then pounce on people who comment on yoru comment. Why not give us a bold prediction? How many carries, catches, yards, td's and averages do you think Gerhart will get?
    Two things ....

1. Sometimes I don't put out vague comments. Sometimes I'm pretty specific.

2. And I never pounce. Kindof goes against the whole "I'm here to discuss" concept and why I hate the "Owned" crap that a few throw around here.\

Its a discussion site for cripes sake. Not a "your wrong" "I'm right" site.

As to predictions. Not one for giving actual numbers, however, if I must......

.....Going by the stat line/history and the assumption that the Noodle will be slinging it all over the place this eyar, I will say AD gets 300 and Toby gets 100.

Blog Entries

Marrdro wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:

Not sure were you got your numbers.....

2009 AD had 315 Att/CT had 93
    2008 AD had 363 Att/CT had 101
    2007 AD had 116 Att/CT had 109
    I included all touches, rushing or receiving, as that is all part of the workload
    Two things ....

1. Sometimes I don't put out vague comments. Sometimes I'm pretty specific.
    Oh the irony
    As to predictions. Not one for giving actual numbers, however, if I must......

.....Going by the stat line/history and the assumption that the Noodle will be slinging it all over the place this eyar, I will say AD gets 300 and Toby gets 100.
    so you think that the touches will go 3:1 in favour of Peterson, but at the same time think Gerhart will play a bigger role than Taylor and do much more than we think? I'm not sure how that works.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast