Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Re: First Look At Cowboys $1 BILLION Stadium

"V-Unit" wrote:
    That thing is boss! In 2009 the Cowboys might be a TO release away from me making them my second team!

The end zone plazas really cut down on parking. Dallas definetly is not like New York either, you have to drive everywhere.
    You would root for the Cowturds???

You must need a history refresher...they robbed us back in the day on the Pearson BS call...and must never be forgiven!!!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

1800CULPEPPER is offline Starter

"V-Unit" wrote:
    That thing is boss! In 2009 the Cowboys might be a TO release away from me making them my second team!

The end zone plazas really cut down on parking. Dallas definetly is not like New York either, you have to drive everywhere.
    I didn't know that Viking Fans had second teams! HaHa
    It's alright, but I am not going to like them because of their stadium. I think this will light a fire under Wilfs butt to get something done. I can't wait to watch video of our new stadium. ;D
    I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it!!

canadian_vikes_fan is offline Hall of Famer

I personally think the Jumbotron thing is a pretty cool idea. I think it would make the fan experience pretty unforgettable.

As for the idea of a punt hitting the Jumbotron, it's a non-issue really. When it lists the punt height at 80 feet, that's an extremely high punt, not an average.

Since I have an AP Physics exam tomorrow as well as way too much time on my hands, I did some kinematics calculations, and here are my findings:

Assuming that the punter kicks at a 45 degree angle, an 80 foot high punt would horizontally be a 106 yard punt. To hit the 100 foot high Jumbotron at 45 degrees, he'd have to hit it 133 yards downfield. I don't think that's very likely.

Even if the punter were to kick it at 60 degrees to try to pin the opponents (which wouldn't ever actually happen on your own side of mid-field, but even if it did...) an 80 foot high punt would be 62 yards horizontally, and to hit the Jumbotron at 60 degrees, you'd have to kick it 77 yards in the air.

All this goes to say that noone would ever hit the Jumbotron with a punt. Ever.

Thanks PPE for the sig.

vikes2456 is offline Hall of Famer

That thing is pretty sweet

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

What? Everyone drooling over their new stadium & not one negative comment about the retractable roof?

Some of you posters scoffed at the idea of the Vikings getting a retractable, claiming football is meant to be played outside, yet here you are drooling over a retractable that is in Texas where the climate is much more favorable than the weather in Minnesota.

LMAO!

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

sleepagent is offline Hall of Famer

A perfect example of how "over the top" the NFL is becoming.

We have players getting sick money . . .

Rookies getting top dollar . . . without playing a down . . .

and now this!

I'm waiting for the market correction here . . . but it will probably never come!

"No Greater Friend . . . No Worse Enemy. U.S. MARINES"
    "FIND YOUR PASSION AND MAKE IT HAPPEN!"
    "SUCCESS LOOKS EASY TO THOSE THAT WEREN'T THERE WHEN IT WAS BEING ACHIEVED!"

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"canadian_vikes_fan" wrote:
    I personally think the Jumbotron thing is a pretty cool idea. I think it would make the fan experience pretty unforgettable.

As for the idea of a punt hitting the Jumbotron, it's a non-issue really. When it lists the punt height at 80 feet, that's an extremely high punt, not an average.

Since I have an AP Physics exam tomorrow as well as way too much time on my hands, I did some kinematics calculations, and here are my findings:

Assuming that the punter kicks at a 45 degree angle, an 80 foot high punt would horizontally be a 106 yard punt. To hit the 100 foot high Jumbotron at 45 degrees, he'd have to hit it 133 yards downfield. I don't think that's very likely.

Even if the punter were to kick it at 60 degrees to try to pin the opponents (which wouldn't ever actually happen on your own side of mid-field, but even if it did...) an 80 foot high punt would be 62 yards horizontally, and to hit the Jumbotron at 60 degrees, you'd have to kick it 77 yards in the air.

LOL. OK, you are definitely ready for that Physics exam tomorrow! ;D
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

What assumptions did you make concerning the weight of the ball and the force with which it was kicked?

Not trying to say you are wrong with your calculations, but I'm an engineer this this nerdy stuff (sadly) intrigues me. I agree that a punt would never hit, and even if it did it really is not a big deal. For it to hit the ball would have to be kicked almost straight up. No punter is going to be screwed over by hitting a long booming punt only for it to be snubbed by the jumbotron.

Find a 7-story building and try punting a ball on top of it. That's what mythbusters would do.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

aceclown is offline Coach

"V-Unit" wrote:

What assumptions did you make concerning the weight of the ball and the force with which it was kicked?

Not trying to say you are wrong with your calculations, but I'm an engineer this this nerdy stuff (sadly) intrigues me. I agree that a punt would never hit, and even if it did it really is not a big deal. For it to hit the ball would have to be kicked almost straight up. No punter is going to be screwed over by hitting a long booming punt only for it to be snubbed by the jumbotron.

Find a 7-story building and try punting a ball on top of it. That's what mythbusters would do.

Im sure that this punting problem was closely evaluated by highly paid, highly trained professionals, and that even the best punters in the league -Lechler etc. couldnt punt a football 100 feet in the air.
    I just made a joke because I pictured it being a funny incident in my mind, but I know how high 100 feet is, and that the height of the jumbotron was carefully and conservatively calculated by professionals.

Chuch.

Vikes is offline Team Alumni

WOW pretty cool.............

The rigors of Spartan life. Leonidas is cast out into the wild, and survives the harsh winter to return to his home, when he is crowned King ....a Viking!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123