Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Prophet Guest

Favre's return does not guarantee success

KFFL
    Packers | Favre's return does not guarantee success
    Tue, 25 Jul 2006 19:35:46 -0700

Bob McGinn, of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, reports the decision by Green Bay Packers QB Brett Favre to return for the 2006 season does not guarantee him or the team success. Last year was a nightmare for Favre and the Packers. By his standards, he was awful and so was the team. Favre will give every ounce of himself to a franchise that means the world to him. In the end, Favre's decision to return probably came down to one factor: He hadn't had his fill of football. For the first time this decade, Favre will have a new head coach in Mike McCarthy, a new offensive coordinator in Jeff Jagodzinski and a new quarterbacks coach in Tom Clements. Aside from three new starters in the middle of a leaky offensive line, the personnel essentially is the same. "I think he'll be very effective. I don't know about Pro Bowl," Jagodzinski said. "His arm is as good as anybody's in the league. Still. Now he might have lost a step, but so did John Elway. He's still one of the top six quarterbacks in the league, I don't care if he's 37 or not." McCarthy, who carved out his reputation by developing quarterbacks, somehow must impress upon Favre that possession is a precious thing. If Favre struggles, the fans and possibly the coaching staff may want to see backup QB Aaron Rodgers play. Rodgers' dedicated approach and command of the McCarthy system impressed the staff during the offseason workouts.

Prophet Guest

Re: Favre's return does not guarantee success

I read these blurbs about the Packers this year and it reminds me how much they are going to suck. The Vikings/Packers games always are a battle, even when one of the team sucks it seems. Favre will more then likely be forced into retirement this year. He has a deathwish. He may end his career in a Theismanesque manner with the protection he will have.

Either way, it is a good year for my longstanding bet with a Packers fan to send a six-pack of local beer to the winner in the Vikes/Packers games.

===============================================

Packers | Bourke could impress in camp with athletic ability
    Wed, 26 Jul 2006 08:06:16 -0700

Mike Spofford, of Packers.com, reports Green Bay Packers OL Josh Bourke could land a roster spot if he is able to impress the team with his combination of size and athleticism. "He understands angles and leverage, and for a tall, 6-7 guy, he can bend," director of pro personnel Reggie McKenzie said. "He can play both left and right tackle, he has the ability to move, to block speed and block power. He's what you look for in a tackle, and it seems like he's got some toughness about him."

Packers | Bigby could benefit from strong NFL Europe performance
    Wed, 26 Jul 2006 08:05:32 -0700

Mike Spofford, of Packers.com, reports Green Bay Packers SS Atari Bigby will have a chance to stand out among the group of defensive backs battling for a roster spot due to his success in the NFL Europe during the offseason. Bigby led the Amsterdam Admirals in tackles with 61 and helped take the team to the World Bowl.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"Prophet" wrote:
    KFFL

Bob McGinn, of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, reports the decision by Green Bay Packers QB Brett Favre to return for the 2006 season does not guarantee him or the team success. Last year was a nightmare for Favre and the Packers. By his standards, he was awful and so was the team. Favre will give every ounce of himself to a franchise that means the world to him. In the end, Favre's decision to return probably came down to one factor: He hadn't had his fill of football. For the first time this decade, Favre will have a new head coach in Mike McCarthy, a new offensive coordinator in Jeff Jagodzinski and a new quarterbacks coach in Tom Clements. Aside from three new starters in the middle of a leaky offensive line, the personnel essentially is the same. "I think he'll be very effective. I don't know about Pro Bowl," Jagodzinski said. "His arm is as good as anybody's in the league. Still. Now he might have lost a step, but so did John Elway. He's still one of the top six quarterbacks in the league, I don't care if he's 37 or not." McCarthy, who carved out his reputation by developing quarterbacks, somehow must impress upon Favre that possession is a precious thing. If Favre struggles, the fans and possibly the coaching staff may want to see backup QB Aaron Rodgers play. Rodgers' dedicated approach and command of the McCarthy system impressed the staff during the offseason workouts.
    WRONG!!!

It DOES guarantee success...the success of our defense for two games this season!!! :evil4:
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

MaddenVodkaAddict is offline Coordinator

"Prophet" wrote:
    KFFL

:shock:
    I Love Kerry Collins (and John Rocker).

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

the title alone screams
    "NO §HIT"

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

Is Bob McGinn's middle name "Mr. Obvious"?

cc21 is offline Ring of Fame

Gee really? I thought that Favre returning for another season was a guaranteed playoff spot. Seriously though, bringing him back actually hurts the Packers because he just sucks now. He use to be good. Like 8 years ago. Not anymore.

WBLVikeBabe is offline Jersey Retired

Man I feel like I'm in elementary school saying this again, but I just have to......

[size=24px]NO DUH!!![/size]

[move]My beautiful sig made by the one and only PPE![/move]

shawn9876uss is offline Coordinator

Like that is a shocker

Thanks PurpleMafia

MensaTice is offline Star Spokesman

More headline from Bob McGinn
    "Siegfried and Roy might not actually bang as many women as Ron Jeremy"
    "911 Attacks Do Not Mean Bin Ladin Loves America"
    "Sex with Packer cheerleader may result with rash"