Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Prophet Guest

Re: Favre Sunday Conversation (Retirement?)

LORD FAVRE SHOULD KEEP HIS THOUGHTS TO HIMSELF
    Mike Florio

We mean no disrespect to Packers quarterback Brett Favre. But if someone is ever writing a book on how to properly walk away from a high-end career in professional sports, Favre should be consulted for the chapter on how not to do it.

The whole "will he or won't he?" thing has become an annual issue for several years now -- primarily because Brett himself began publicly musing about his future more than three years ago. Our research reveals that the issue first came up in September 2002, when Favre opened up to Peter King of Sports Illustrated: "I think about retirement a heck of a lot more than I used to. . . . I miss home. I know it's nuts but Mike Sherman told us today that he was giving us Saturday and Sunday off this week, and the guys were all excited. All I could think was, I wish I could be on my lawn mower back home."

Let's put this in perspective. In September 2002, Favre was only 32. No one had any reason to suspect that Favre's career could be winding down. Quarterbacks can play at a high level past age 35. In 2005, Minnesota's Brad Johnson looked great at age 37.

Since then, the story won't go away -- primarily since Favre won't quit talking about it. We can't recall any other NFL star allowing himself to get sucked into an ongoing dialogue regarding the date, time, and place of his retirement, primarily because most past NFL stars have operated under the unwavering presumption that they will continue to play until they announce that it's time to leave.

Dan Marino, to our recollection, didn't toy with the media for a year or longer before he packed it in. Ditto for Emmitt Smith, Troy Aikman, and Steve Young.

The only guy who allowed himself to be pulled into a discussion as to whether he'd be back for another go was John Elway, who pondered the possibility of going out on top after beating Favre's Packers in the Super Bowl eight years ago -- and who then said early in the offseason that he's coming back for another year. And who then won another championship before riding off into the sunset.

For Favre, the tease continues. Days after G.M. Ted Thompson and new coach Mike McCarthy went to Mississippi to meet with Favre, he tells ESPN's Chris Mortensen that, if a decision were required today, Favre wouldn't be back.

But since a decision isn't required today, why is Favre flapping his fangs about it? What benefit is gained by floating the idea that he won't be back at a time weeks before a final decision is due? Hell, why even give the interview so early in the offseason, when memories of a 4-12 record and his worst season as a starter are still raw and fresh?

We sure hope that Favre's agent, Bus Cook, didn't cajole Brett into granting the interview request from Mortensen in light of Mort's glowing article regarding Cook's next Favre, Jay Cutler of Vanderbilt. We're not suggesting that Mort skewed his item in favor of Cutler in order to gain access to Favre, but we wouldn't be surprised to learn that Cook nudged Favre to sit down with Mortensen because Cook felt like he "owed one" to Mort.

Regardless of the motivation, we think that Favre's best bet is to say nothing at all about his plans until it's time to announce them. And even though Brett doesn't come off as a guy who craves attention, it's hard not to conclude that lurking at the heart of this daytime drama is a healthy dose of good old-fashioned vanity.

Prophet Guest

Top Ten Reasons Favre should retire

10. He is slowly destroying Madden's love affair with him.

9. The 'rifle arm' is turning into the 'Daisy BB gun' arm.

8. Aaron Rodgers already called Dibs on #4.

7. Incoming players are asking Favre if he played against Fran Tarkenton at the old Met.

6. The media will no longer announce his plans for retirement and he will have to create his own website for these announcements.

5. Even John Madden is cutting him off and telling him he should head back to the Deep South.

4. Still no victories on the horizon, despite his desire to win.

3. His own kids would not draft him in a fantasy league.

2. Football without an o-line just isn't that much fun when you play QB.

1. Madden is undergoing a sex change operation and recently bought a home in Hattiesburg.

ChezPizmo is offline Coordinator

[size=18px]Favre says he's leaning toward retirement[/size]
    ESPN.com

( http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2311729 )
    Brett Favre would like to wait until training camp to decide whether to retire or return to the Green Bay Packers for a 16th season.

But the quarterback realizes this amount of time is likely not a luxury he will be afforded.

"I wish I knew where I stood," Favre told Chris Mortensen in an interview that aired as ESPN's Sunday Conversation. "If I had to pick right now and make a decision, I would say I'm not coming back."

In the interview at his home in Mississippi, Favre told Mortensen he would like more time to decide whether to return for another NFL season. But he understands the Packers need to know soon to properly prepare for the NFL draft and other offseason personnel matters.

"I'd like to wait till training camp," Favre said with a laugh. "But I know I have to make the decision in the next month for their sake."

Favre said he's told Packers general manager Ted Thompson recently that if the team doesn't want to wait for him to commit to either playing the 2006 season or retiring, then he should be "cut loose."

"I love the game too much and I love my legacy too much to have that just be OK," Favre said, "and I don't want to be just OK. I want to be good, and I don't know if I'm committed enough [right now] to be good on an everyday basis."

[size=18px]“ I want to be good, and I don't know if I'm committed enough [right now] to be good on an everyday basis. ” [/size]
    [size=12px] — Brett Favre [/size]

Favre suggested to Mortensen it was not his physical shape that was complicating his decision, instead acknowledging a host of factors -- his daughter's upcoming high school graduation, off-field moves and whether at "crunch time, with two minutes left" in a game he would be able to say he wants the ball.

"It's a matter of how much I'm willing to give. I don't want to come back and three games into [the season] say, 'What am I doing?' "

As he's said in the past, Favre maintains he's physically capable of continuing his career, but the intangibles will ultimately decide whether he returns. He has suggested that his $10 million salary in 2006 might diminish the team's interest in retaining him.

"I still know I can play, I still love to play, but there's still much more to it. I never thought I'd give out mentally before I gave out physically," he said.

Favre has also hinted that the Packers' offseason moves would play a role in his decision and it isn't clear what impact the team's hiring of Mike McCarthy to succeed Mike Sherman as coach has had.

McCarthy met with Favre on Friday and Thompson traveled to Favre's home earlier in the week to talk to him, but would not offer details of the conversation.

Favre told Mortensen he has told Thompson he won't return for the money or records, saying, "It's not about me. ... I want to make the right decision for everyone involved."

"When you sit down and tell a GM, 'I don't know if I can give you everything' -- and I have -- that's usually the first ticket out of town," Favre said Sunday.

McCarthy had worked as a tutor to Favre while he was the Packers' quarterbacks coach in 1999. However, Favre's agent, James Cook, suggested his client might have been more likely to return to the team in 2006 if Green Bay had hired Steve Mariucci, a former Packers assistant who was later the head coach in San Francisco (1997-2002) and Detroit (2003-05).

Green Bay is coming off a 4-12 season, Favre's worst as a Packer, after winning its season finale 23-17 over Seattle.

Favre, who finished with a career-worst 29 interceptions, said the Packers' final game had been on his mind long before he took the field, relating a talk he had with his former coach, the Seahawks' Mike Holmgren, in the month preceding it.

"We had a good conversation in late November or early December and I told him, 'It might be my last game and that I was so thankful you'll be there for it.' He said, 'If it is, I'll be glad I was there for it, too.'"

"The game meant nothing," Favre said, "but in a lot of ways it meant a lot."

[size=9px]Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.[/size]
    [size=11pt]"The only thing better than food & football is maybe Brett Favre."

[size=8pt]

-John Madden on Thanksgiving while on "Mike & Mike In The Morning"

ChezPizmo is offline Coordinator

BTW, You can go to http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2311729 to watch the interview he did that was talked about.
    [size=11pt]"The only thing better than food & football is maybe Brett Favre."

[size=8pt]

-John Madden on Thanksgiving while on "Mike & Mike In The Morning"

TATEone is offline Starter

RETIRE!!! for Gods sake! Please dont' make me listen to him go back and forth all off season AGAIN.
    I voluntarily agree to not indulge in any alcohol, drugs, or engage in any other illegal activity that may in any way jeopardize the years of hard work we as a team have committed to our goal of a championship season in '76.

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

He is history. Plain and simple. Did you hear this guy? Let's just hope his addiction to football is not like his addiction to Vicatin, if that is the case,he will never leave. Imagine Favre retiring and Rogers taking over. That will be sweet for us, horrible for them.

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

"Del Rio" wrote:
    It's getting pretty old. Either retire or stay. Simple.

Cry wolf every single year.

He's actually being a prick about this whole thing. His team NEEDS to know so they can move on. He's talking about waiting until JULY! That's kaka del toro. If I was the Coach GM, I would say we need an answer by friday. Or your jiggly butt is gone.
    If I was the GM, I would just plan like he isn't going to be there.

Oh wait, I think he already is planning to move on without Favre.

I am surprised they haven't told him if you don't give us an answer by 5 pm today, we are going to consider you retired and we won't let you back on the grounds. :grin:

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

"snowinapril" wrote:
    "Del Rio" wrote:
    It's getting pretty old. Either retire or stay. Simple.

Cry wolf every single year.

He's actually being a prick about this whole thing. His team NEEDS to know so they can move on. He's talking about waiting until JULY! That's kaka del toro. If I was the Coach GM, I would say we need an answer by friday. Or your jiggly butt is gone.
    If I was the GM, I would just plan like he isn't going to be there.

Oh wait, I think he already is planning to move on without Favre.

I am surprised they haven't told him if you don't give us an answer by 5 pm today, we are going to consider you retired and we won't let you back on the grounds. :grin:
    Personally I don't think Ted Thompson has the balls to say that to Favre, nor does McCarthy for that matter. Here in Wisconsin Favre is like a Greek God. If Thompson were to say that to Favre, well he isn't exactly liked here as it is, if he said that he would be like another Matt Millen.

PAvikesfan is offline Star Spokesman

ouch...not nice.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"vikedawg11" wrote:
    i hope Favre's wife gets her tit cut off
    :roll:

Vikedawg is too similar to Samdawg. Could a mod check this one out?

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast