Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Jordan is offline Pro-Bowler

Favre to return if Packers hire Mariucci as head coach!

http://greenbaypressgazette.packersnews.com/archives/news/pack_24175614.shtml

Favre’s agent gently lobbies for Mariucci

By Dylan B. Tomlinson
    PackersNews.com

The coach that Green Bay Packers quarterback Brett Favre seems to want to replace Mike Sherman isn’t likely to even get an interview.

Favre’s longtime agent and close friend, James “Bus� Cook, said in a televised interview that Favre is more likely to return for another season if the Packers hired Steve Mariucci as head coach.

“I think that would have a huge determination on Brett’s decision,� Cook told WTMJ-TV in Milwaukee. “They do enjoy a special relationship.�

As it stands, Packers General Manager Ted Thompson plans to interview eight candidates, but Mariucci isn’t on the list.

Mariucci, who was fired late last season as coach of the Detroit Lions, was Favre’s first quarterbacks coach with the Packers from 1992 to 1995. He left to become the head coach at the University of California and later coached the San Francisco 49ers from 1997 to 2002.

Favre and Mariucci have stayed close since he left Green Bay more than a decade ago. When Mariucci was fired on Nov. 28, Favre called him that day.

By comparison, two days after Sherman was fired, Sherman said he still had not heard from Favre.

In November, Favre said he didn’t think Mariucci would coach during the 2006 season, but it is believed Mariucci has told those close to him that he would be interested in coaching the Packers.

“They would be good for each other,� Cook said. “It would be a system that Brett is familiar with and Steve is familiar with.�

Favre said during the season he doesn’t want to learn a new offense.

While none of the candidates to replace Sherman have the relationship with Favre that Mariucci does, some of them are on good terms with Favre.

San Francisco offensive coordinator Mike McCarthy was Favre’s quarterbacks coach in 1999. Favre also is known to have a good relationship with Packers defensive coordinator Jim Bates.

Cook also said he has no idea whether Favre plans to retire.

“I really don’t know. Everybody thinks that maybe I know, but I don’t,� Cook said.

“I think he’ll take his time and talk with Deanna and they’ll sit down and look at everything.�

"SSSMMMOOTTT" & "Toine" will be the best CB combo in the NFL next year TRUST ME!!!

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Favre to return if Packers hire Mariucci as head coach!

Well, I will say it again, Teddy Thompson doesn't want Favre back. He drafted Rodgers and wants to see him get playing time.

It was reported in another thread that Thompson and Sherman were at odds about winning vs playing time, Sherman was playing to win.

Ted wants a puppet coach. Mariucci is not a puppet. Tice was Red's puppet like ____________ will be Teddy's puppet.

Rodgers will be QB next year, if, if, they can get Favre to retire.

Favre and his agent could have outsmarted Ted by saying every other candidate looked great, just don't interview or hire Mooch. Ted would have hired Mooch, he is that dumb! Ha ha ha, that probably should have been in the trash the pack section but I don't go there.

michaelmazid is offline Team Alumni

I guess mr. Bret Farve is starting to show his true colors right about now. What a selfish jerk. I would not bring farve back if I was the GM.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"snowinapril" wrote:
    Well, I will say it again, Teddy Thompson doesn't want Favre back. He drafted Rodgers and wants to see him get playing time.

It was reported in another thread that Thompson and Sherman were at odds about winning vs playing time, Sherman was playing to win.
    I agee with SIA here.

I think firing Sherman was a move made by Thompson to force Favre into retiring or leaving.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

I think Favre is being thick skulled here. The Packers have all but shown him the exit, but he fails to see it. I think they made it pretty clear that they think it's time to move on when they fired Sherman.

DemonicViking is offline Ring of Fame

Dunahdunahdunahdunah.. go favre go.

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

"ltrey33" wrote:
    I think Favre is being thick skulled here. The Packers have all but shown him the exit, but he fails to see it. I think they made it pretty clear that they think it's time to move on when they fired Sherman.
    True, he is.

I think that they will antagonize Favre until he retires or asks for a trade.

He needs to ask for a trade.

"DemonicViking" wrote:
    Dunahdunahdunahdunah.. go favre go.
    :lol:
    Even babies know the difference.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"snowinapril" wrote:
    "ltrey33" wrote:
    True, he is.

I think that they will antagonize Favre until he retires or asks for a trade.

He needs to ask for a trade.
    If that's the case, I hope he stays! :lol:

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Hey, I don't want Farve to leave.
    First of all he's old and has become a bad QB and we can beat him.
    Secondly what would the media have to talk about?
    And three -- What could we hate?
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast