Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    boognish is offline Coordinator

Favre looking sharp

I hear a lot of people counting the Peckers out this season, but as history has shown us, they always play the Vikings tough. Their new receiver, Jennings, sounds like he has a lot of potential.

Favre sharp in Packers scrimmage

NFL.com wire reports

GREEN BAY, Wis. (Aug. 5, 2006) -- Though a lot has changed for the Green Bay Packers since the end of last season, the combination of Brett Favre to Donald Driver still works.

And that Favre-to-Greg Jennings combination seems to be coming along nicely, too.

After beginning the week by suffering five interceptions in a practice session, Favre looked fairly sharp in front of a sold-out Lambeau Field crowd during the Packers' "Family Night" scrimmage.

"I'm very pleased," Packers coach Mike McCarthy said. "I think Brett's kind of reached that point in camp, if my memory serves me right, it's about that week into camp where the ball starts spinning out of his hand."

Favre -- who flew with a Packers contingent to Canton, Ohio, earlier in the day in hopes of catching the Hall of Fame induction ceremony for late teammate Reggie White -- returned in time to drill a couple of big throws to his No. 1 receiver.

On his first series, Favre hit Driver on a 48-yard pass. Three plays later, he found Driver again on a quick slant for a 4-yard touchdown pass.

Favre looked for Jennings, a rookie, during a two-minute drill simulation later in the scrimmage. Favre overthrew Jennings on a long pass attempt, then found him on a short pass that Jennings turned into a 27-yard gain with an impressive run after the catch. Favre finished 9-for-13 for 119 yards.

After only one full week into training camp, Favre has singled out Jennings, a second-round pick out of Western Michigan, as a potential new playmaker. Favre compares Jennings to former Packers receiver Antonio Freeman, saying Jennings might have the intangibles to make up for his relative lack of size and speed.

Jennings said he enjoyed playing in a game-like atmosphere, even if it was only a scrimmage.

"It was still practice for us," Jennings said. "But, I feel real comfortable right now. I'm rolling, and with that comfort comes a lot of playmaking opportunities."

Jennings also got work in the return game, including a 40-yard punt runback.

After Samkon Gado capped off the drive with a rumbling 10-yard touchdown -- one of relatively few highlights for the Green Bay running game -- Favre found Jennings for a two-point conversion. Jennings looked like a veteran on the play, pushing off cornerback Therrian Fontenot without being penalized.

The Packers' running game was hindered by the absences of running backs Najeh Davenport and Ahman Green, who were among several notable Packers players held out of the scrimmage because of injury. Packers running backs gained 94 yards on 30 attempts.

McCarthy didn't seem overly concerned about the team's rushing struggles, given that the team is starting two rookie guards and is implementing a new zone-oriented blocking scheme.

"We're definitely a work in progress," McCarthy said. "We're young there."

Davenport has been practicing with the team since training camp opened July 28, but Green has yet to receive medical clearance to play.

Other notables who were held out of the practice included cornerback Charles Woodson, tackle Chad Clifton and tight end Bubba Franks. Receiver Robert Ferguson also was scratched for what the team described as "personal" reasons.

Safety Nick Collins appeared to be injured after falling on a narrow strip of concrete at the edge of the field. Collins briefly stayed down and received attention from the team's medical staff, but eventually ran off the field without assistance.

"It was just a little pain that was running down my back," Collins said. "I had to sit up for a minute and recuperate."

Backup quarterback Aaron Rodgers was hindered by a handful of dropped passes while working with the Packers' No. 2 offensive unit, and Marviel Underwood picked him off during two-minute drill work.

But Rodgers did hit receiver Marc Boerigter on a 5-yard touchdown pass, and McCarthy said he was happy with the way Rodgers threw the ball.

"I think he gave the receivers the opportunity to make a lot of plays," McCarthy said.

The attendance was announced as 62,701, breaking the 2005 record.

AP NEWS
    The Associated Press News Service
    I am a dipshit!!!

DPep11 is offline Asst. Coach

Re: Favre looking sharp

:roll: Its training camp and its against his own defense.

renovikesfan is offline Coordinator

You nailed it, DPep.

McCarthy: Alright, you guys on Defense...we're going into a scrimmage now, and I know you're dying to be able to lay the sheep, er, I mean lumber, on Mr. Favre. The thing is, though...I don't want you to lay so much as a finger on him. Even though he's approaching his golden years, he's really the only thing we have going for our Offense, and the O-line isn't going to offer him much protection. So do the organization a biiiiiig favor and just focus your aggression towards the receivers and running backs, okay? Thanks, guys. Now, go have a fun scrimmage!

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

Ha ha... Lets see how that Hillbilly does against other teams.. They toot his horn way to much.. I am so sick of everyone praising that guy when all he does is throws INT's.. Can't wait until everyone comes down to reality..

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

After only one full week into training camp, Favre has singled out Jennings, a second-round pick out of Western Michigan, as a potential new playmaker. Favre compares Jennings to former Packers receiver Antonio Freeman, saying Jennings might have the intangibles to make up for his relative lack of size and speed.

What an endorsement! "makes up for his relative lack of size and speed"

Makes me shiver thinking we have to play him twice a year.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

"Looks sharp?" Wasn't there a story recently that said that Favre "threw numerous interceptions?" 5 out of 26 intercepted in the first practice?
    WE CAN BUILD ON THIS!!!

In AP I trust

vikeswin2005 is offline Hall of Famer

lmao I heard that too farva

Sure, Farve was good back in the day but really hes nothin now. And Farve looking sharp ya right.........

YogidAbEAR is offline Star Spokesman

lookig sharp against the packers defense isn't saying much

jaymz7 is offline Asst. Coach

"YogidAbEAR" wrote:
    lookig sharp against the packers defense isn't saying much
    Now thats the truth. :lol:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast