singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Favre decision finally coming?

From KFFL:

Packers | Favre decision finally coming?

Thu, 6 Apr 2006 21:37:03 -0700

Chris Havel, of the Green Bay Press Gazette, reports Green Bay Packers QB Brett Favre was at his charity golf tournament Thursday, April 6.

Favre didn't hint at his decision for 2006, but he said he spoke with general manager Ted Thompson and head coach Mike McCarthy earlier in the week and told them he may have a decision by this weekend or the first part of next week.

"I want to do what's best, obviously, for me and my family," Favre said. "But regardless of what people might think, I don't want to jeopardize the future of the team. I don't want to do that. I think that the people that know me, including those in the organization, know that."

Favre stressed that he is not putting off his decision to force his release or a trade.
    "I don't want to play for anyone else. I never asked Ted Thompson to release me or trade me. I wouldn't do it. It's way too important for me to start over somewhere else, even if it's for a year. I can't believe people even think that. People who know me know that I'm as loyal as there is."

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Re: Favre decision finally coming?

Posted April 7, 2006

[size=18px]Favre ready to make his move[/size]

Packers QB talks about future, says decision imminent

By Chris Havel
    Gannett Wisconsin Newspapers

TUNICA, Miss. — Brett Favre arrived at his charity golf tournament Thursday looking relaxed, fit and at ease with his impending decision on whether to return to the Green Bay Packers or retire.

The veteran quarterback didn't hint at his decision, but said he spoke with general manager Ted Thompson and head coach Mike McCarthy earlier in the week and told them he may have a decision by this weekend or the first part of next week.

"I want to do what's best, obviously, for me and my family," he said. "But regardless of what people might think, I don't want to jeopardize the future of the team. I don't want to do that. I think that the people that know me, including those in the organization, know that."

Favre, 36, is coming off the worst season with the Packers since he joined the team in 1992. The team was 4-12 and his quarterback rating was a career-low 70.9.

He has the longest consecutive game streak for a quarterback with 221 starts.

Here is what Favre had to say on a variety of topics in his first in-depth interview since he spoke with ESPN's Chris Mortensen in late January:

n On the idea he is stalling to force the Packers to cut or trade him: "I don't want to play for anyone else. I never asked Ted Thompson to release me or trade me. I wouldn't do it. It's way too important for me to start over somewhere else, even if it's for a year. I can't believe people even think that. People who know me know that I'm as loyal as there is."

n On returning just to collect the $10 million salary or break more records: "Am I that type of player? Am I that type of person? I say no. I wouldn't come back for the money or to break records.

"That's sort of my dilemma right now. If I felt like we really could compete for the Super Bowl, I would come back. Or am I coming back just to play and to have fun, and in the process maybe we lose. Last year was no fun for the fans or for the players, and nobody wants to go through that again.

"Besides, if I was coming back for the money or the record, I would've said I was coming back a long time ago. There wouldn't be anything to consider."

n On concerns about the offensive line: "It's a concern in the sense — call me crazy if you want — not that I'm afraid of getting hit, but that I want to win. From a coach's standpoint, you have to say the right things, that we'll be competitive and we'll win, and I truly believe Mike McCarthy will do a fine job. But really, what have we done to replace the guys that we've lost on the line?"

n On Thompson's off-season moves: "I definitely don't want to beat up the guys that we have on our team. The guys that we have are hard workers and determined to win and all that, but I don't see right now where our offensive line is better."

n On attending off-season minicamps, if he returns: "Oh, I'd come. (McCarthy) sent me a schedule of what he would need for me to do. We've talked about it. I'd have to be there for some of the things. I'd hate to come into training camp blindfolded."

n His relationship with Thompson: "There is no bitterness. None. I get along with Ted fine. We talk two or three times a week. I have no problem with Ted. It isn't about the GM or the coach or anything like that."

n On whether he is holding the organization hostage: "I've talked with (McCarthy) about that and I know he's getting Aaron Rodgers prepared to play like he's the starter, and he may be. My decision isn't affecting how Mike's preparing for the season, at least to this point."

n On his recent comment, "What are the Packers going to do, cut me?": "It was a joke. That's all it was. The people around me knew what I meant when I said it. It's ridiculous to think there's a deadline because there wasn't one, and the Packers weren't going to cut me. The people that were there knew I wasn't serious."

n On whether he still can play at a high level: "I know I can still play. My confidence has been shot a little bit, there's no doubt. I had a lot of chances to pull us out of the fire last year and I didn't do it.

"My confidence is in question a little bit. Some will understand that. Some won't. But it's the truth. I can't tell you what people are going to say. They can believe what they want. But the people that know me also know that I'm a team player. I have to make a total commitment. It's not just what (the Packers) are going to do. It's what I honestly can give to the team. When I put on the uniform I can't help but be a competitor. It's in my blood."

n His greatest dilemma: "After so many years and so many games and so many plays, I've tried to muster up every bit of energy and fun and it didn't happen last year or dating back to the year before. Sometimes you can't muster that. I was hoping it was going to be a fun year (last year). There's no guarantee this year.

"It means something to come back and be there, but to come back and be that dominant player, which I wasn't last year. I never blamed it on other guys before and I won't do it now. I don't want it to be like, at one time he was good. He should've retired. He stuck around one year too long. That wouldn't be fair to anyone."

Favre ready to make his move

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

vikeswin2005 is offline Hall of Famer

bye bye fav-ray

digital420 is offline Team Alumni

he'll come in as a begining starter, look by the 4th game to see A.r tking over. and i'm sure pre-season will be all A.r

if it's going badly for hte pack watch them to move bf to the backseat and have him just sit and coach A.r into his spot, and if the kid gets banged up to much ol bf will take over.

other then that i don't really see him coming back just to say.. ok i'm here, lets try it once more.

DiGiTaL

"We tried to stick with it, but there was a point where we were beating our head against a wall," Seattle Coach Mora talking about running at the Williams Wall

He kept complaining about the o-line. If he still hasn't made his decision by the draft, could the Pack move up and take D'Brick to satisfy Bert Favre?

"digital420" wrote:
    he'll come in as a begining starter, look by the 4th game to see A.r tking over. and i'm sure pre-season will be all A.r

if it's going badly for hte pack watch them to move bf to the backseat and have him just sit and coach A.r into his spot, and if the kid gets banged up to much ol bf will take over.

other then that i don't really see him coming back just to say.. ok i'm here, lets try it once more.

DiGiTaL
    I dont know if i see favre coming back and getting sat. You just cant do that to a legend, and as much as i hate to say it, Brett is a legend.

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

That team is royally screwed. Brett is no longer going to be an effective QB. They are wasting their time with him in there when Rogers could be getting some reps and experience.

Now, I understand that Brett is a god in Green Bay. I would tend to think that the Packers should look at the long-term of this.

Either way, they will suck butt and we will flourish. So, I am happy with any decsion they make!