singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Favre changes tune on switching teams

[size=13pt]Favre changes tune on switching teams [/size]

Posted: Sept. 2, 2006
    SportsDay

Bob Wolfley

In recent years, Brett Favre has said repeatedly he is not interested in ending his career with any team other than the Green Bay Packers.

But he sounds a different note in an interview with Bob Costas to be aired Wednesday night on HBO's "Costas Now."

Favre says he would consider playing for another team, presumably after this season, if the Packers approved.

Costas tells Favre many "great players in every sport" have finished their careers with teams other than the ones they helped make successful.

What if there were a 9-7 team "and they need a guy for a year or two (to) make a Super Bowl run," Costas posed.

"I can't say it wouldn't happen," Favre said. "If it comes to a point where they do start over and I feel like I can play and they say, 'Brett, if you want to go somewhere else, go ahead, but we've got to start over. It's time for us to rebuild. It just doesn't make sense, so do what you want.' If I got the itch at some point, I can't say 'no.' "

Favre told Sports Illustrated recently that remarks by CBS-TV's Phil Simms prompted him to return for at least another season.

In the interview with Costas, Favre provides more details about the day he decided to keep playing.

Favre said on the night of April 14 he was listening to Simms being interviewed on the NFL channel on Sirius Satellite Radio. Sirius is the pay radio partner of the National Football League.

"That night, I remember it as if it was yesterday, and in my truck I have satellite radio," Favre said. "They said, 'Phil Simms is coming on in 30 minutes, going to discuss Brett Favre's situation, whether or not he should come back or not.'

"I said, 'I wouldn't mind listening to his advice.' "

Simms said that night: "Play as long as you can. When you think it's over, play another or two years. . . because life after football, it's forever."

Said Favre: "That's me. I said, 'You know, he's right. I should go back because I know I still can play. I know I still want to.' "

Happy to jump ship

Denver Broncos wide receiver Javon Walker watched the Cincinnati Bengals trounce his former Packers team last week and was asked what he thought.

"Obviously, we have a chance to be a Super Bowl team," Walker told the Denver Post. "Obviously, they have a chance to win four games."

Walker, disgruntled in Green Bay, was traded in April to the Broncos for a second-round draft pick.

"It just made me happy to know I'm here and not dealing with that anymore," Walker said. "This is a winning organization, and I'm better off here."

Walker said he wants to see certain Packers players perform well and mentioned Al Harris, Charles Woodson, Bubba Franks and Robert Ferguson.

Call SportsDay at (414) 223-5531 or send e-mail to [email protected]

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

oddmanout22287 is offline Pro-Bowler

Re: Favre changes tune on switching teams

"singersp" wrote:
    "Obviously, we have a chance to be a Super Bowl team," Walker told the Denver Post. "Obviously, they have a chance to win four games."
    OWNED!!
    Man, those are some very harsh and very true words.
    That quote just made my day lol.
    PM me if you'd like a sig.

RK.
    RK. is offline Ring of Fame Rally Cross II Champion

'Brett, if you want to go somewhere else, go ahead, but we've got to start over. It's time for us to rebuild.
    Now there is an understatement if I ever heard one.
    ;D

WWBGD

sleepagent is offline Hall of Famer

"oddmanout22287" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    OWNED!!
    Man, those are some very harsh and very true words.
    That quote just made my day lol.
    Thought the exact same thing and I laughed as well.
    Ouch!

"No Greater Friend . . . No Worse Enemy. U.S. MARINES"
    "FIND YOUR PASSION AND MAKE IT HAPPEN!"
    "SUCCESS LOOKS EASY TO THOSE THAT WEREN'T THERE WHEN IT WAS BEING ACHIEVED!"

Warp is offline Asst. Coach

Wow, thats some serious ownage on the packers by Walker! lol As for Favre, i hope he just retires this year or gets traded. He needs to let them rebuild and find a new QB. But i will miss the INT's he gives us!

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

"singersp" wrote:
    [size=13pt]Favre changes tune on switching teams [/size]

Simms said that night: "Play as long as you can. When you think it's over, play another or two years. . . because life after football, it's forever."
    lets see... 3 more years and 60 ints later along with a total of 10 wins... sounds good to me
    We're bringing purple back.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

I'm sure the Raiders will take him

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

heh, honestly i'd be a shame, 15 years of the vikings knocking him around twice a year, to end his career some where else.

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese