Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Re: Faneca says he wants out

[size=13pt]Faneca skips one practice, returns[/size]

Sunday, May 13, 2007

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"Benet" wrote:
    The Steelers have no obligation to give Faneca a new contract, but you can understand why he's upset. If people like Derrick Dockery and Leonard Davis, hardly Pro-Bowl-calibre Guards, break the bank with deals equal to that of our Steve Hutchinson, you'd expect someone like Faneca (a multiple-time Pro-Bowler, like Hutch) to be paid accordingly.

Personally, I think this is a win-win for Faneca. He either gets his money now, or he goes to Arizona next season to be with the Head Coach and O-Line Coach he wanted in Pittsburgh.
    Where is my friend Purplexing when I need him.
    ;D

This is exactly why our staff took the right approach during the first wave of FA.

Can you imagine what the teams are saying now that paid all that cash for Dockery and Davis when they could have had a chance at someone like this if the Steelers in fact decide to deal him now when they can get something for him
    ;D

The Vikes will sit back and relax in the catbird seat and pick the cream of the crop of these types of players who best fit our scheme.

Hats off to our staff for once again, putting us in a situation to pick up quality FA at a reasonable price (or close to it) and for having the CAP space to do it.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

jessejames09 is offline Ring of Fame

Perplexing's keyboard ignited from all his posting and he hasn't gotten a new one yet.

Purplemania is offline Asst. Coach

I don't know if I'd shell out a 3rd for him. He's still one of the best, no doubt, but will be on the decline soon.

Hutch-Faneca, man that would be some sick combo guards though!
    Because I'm a Vikings fan, they are that much sexier.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

He wants too much money for what our budget is for OL
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"cajunvike" wrote:
    Truth be told that is correct, however, the point about the flexibility we have with respect to CAP $$'rs is still a valid one.

Again, my hats off to the Vikes Org for thier approach to improving this team.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

laujesse is offline Starter

"cajunvike" wrote:

So... what is our exact budget for the Oline again Cajun???

We can afford him, the pill wont stop it, Rob can whizzinator up any deal, and for the next 3 years that would be a freakin sight to see.
    Tom Powers < Hetero

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

POSTED 9:52 a.m. EDT, May 14, 2007

FANECA FACING REALITY?
    pft.com

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin, whose delicate situation as the replacement for Coach Chin became even more precarious when Pro Bowl guard Alan Faneca declared on Friday that he plans to leave the team after the 2007 seasopm, might already be justifying ownership's decision to take a chance on a 34-year-old career assistant with no ties to Pittsburgh and only one year of experience as a defensive coordinator.

Tomlin made enough progress during the weekend minicamp with Faneca that Tomlin is now encouraged Faneca might show up for some of the team's 14 voluntary offseason practices.

"I don't know what that's going to buy me, but I'm hopeful," Tomlin said, according to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

In hindsight, it might have been better for Tomlin to keep his optimism to himself, since there's a chance that Faneca won't be back until training camp, which would them make Tomlin look like he didn't read the situation correctly.

But, hey, the guy's still getting his feet wet in some very murky waters, so we'll cut him some slack.

Still, if Faneca has softened his stance, it might be the smartest thing the perennial All-Pro has done since . . . since . . . well, ever.
    Though Faneca wants (as we've heard) $24 million over the first three years of a new contract, that's the kind of money that a player gets only when he is on the open market in March.
    Why would the Steelers treat him (or anyone) in May of the final season of his contract like he's an unrestricted free agent in March of the following year?

It simply doesn't work that way.
    If Faneca wants to extend his deal now, he needs to take less than what he thinks he'd get if he makes it through the 2007 season unscathed.
    If he wants to shoot for $24 million over three years, then he bears the risk of getting hurt before getting there -- and thus losing out on the premier payday.

So maybe Faneca has figured that out.
    Maybe he now realizes that the only way he'll get a high-end package in March 2008 is if he continues to play hard and effectively in 2007.

And maybe he has come to the realization that running his mouth irrationally about his current team will not make other teams more eager to give him that $24 million over three come March of next year.
    Really, who would want to give this guy huge money when there's a chance that the team is also buying the possibility that Faneca will start popping off whenever something happens that he doesn't like?

We can understand Faneca's frustration at the possibility of never getting the kind of money that lesser players received in free agency two months ago.
    And we knew as the dollars were flying that it would cause rancor among proven veterans who think they are worth much more to their current teams than the members of the latest class of multi-millionaires.

But to land that kind of money, Faneca needs to stay in line and continue to do all of the things that have made him the player who he is.
    Complaining about the realities of the system won't get him any closer to the day he gets paid.
    If anything, it might only keep the prize from being as big as it could be.

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"laujesse" wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:

We can afford him, the pill wont stop it, Rob can whizzinator up any deal, and for the next 3 years that would be a freakin sight to see.
    So we should invest a HUGE percentage in THREE offensive linemen...while we have a low-paid rookie starting at QB and a bunch of rookies and underachievers at WR???
    IF we are gonna spend that kind of money on the offense, we need to make sure that we spend it across the board...and invest in the WEAKEST skill position first...which would be WR, NOT guard.

Faneca would be MUCH BETTER than someone like Leonard Davis though...at roughly the same price...MUCH, MUCH BETTER!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

laujesse is offline Starter

"cajunvike" wrote:
    "laujesse" wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:

So we should invest a HUGE percentage in THREE offensive linemen...while we have a low-paid rookie starting at QB and a bunch of rookies and underachievers at WR???
    Yes, thats exactly as it should be...
    The best players on the greatest show on turf were up front.
    Tom Powers < Hetero

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast