ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Falcons sign Ray Edwards to 5 year deal

Quote Originally Posted by "singersp" #1102878
    Quote Originally Posted by "Caine" #1102874
    Quote Originally Posted by "singersp" #1102847
    Quote Originally Posted by "Caine" #1102675
    Quote Originally Posted by "singersp" #1102643
    Quote Originally Posted by "Caine" #1101869
    Going to be interesting to see how well he performs down there. Here's where the handful of "Ray isn't affected by who he plays with" posters get to prove the merits of their arguments.

Caine
    Going to be interesting to see how well Robison performs & if he can get double-digit sacks playing along side 3 pro bowlers to prove the merits of some posters arguments.
    I didn't hear Robison talking about breaking the sack record...

I didn't hear Robison whining about money...

Ray gets to step up and PROVE how good he really is now. He got his "big Boy" contract...let's see if he lives up to it.

Robison gets the same challenge, but doesn't have the big mouth to add pressure to his task.

Caine
    So he opened his yap and set some goals. Did our slave AD get his 2000 yards yet?

Robison got his big boy contract to.

At the end of the day, if we get worse play out of Robison & Ayodele than we would have/did with Edwards & Robison, the Vikings fucked up and took yet another skilled position & rather than improve it, they downgrade it.

That's not what they are supposed to do.

At that point the argument of Ray's yap is moot.

BTW, he said he planned on breaking the record back in 2008. 3 years ago People still can't let it go & act as if he said in in 2009 & 2010 also.
    I'm fine with setting lofty goals...

I'm even alright with failing to achieve those goals...so long as you left it all on the field.

I'm NOT fine with then acting like you should be compensated based upon those goals, throwing a hissy-fit in the media about NOT being compensated (TWICE), and generally making an ass of yourself by saying, "I'm taking my ball and going home cuz nobody loves me".

Ray and AP did #1....then they did #2...but only RAY did #3.

The Vikings cut a guy who created moderate production for them but had a BAD ATTITUDE and projected that to the press and thereby to the fans. Maybe Robison gets run over all year long, but Robison hasn't been shooting his mouth off in the media. Robison isn't crying about not getting his way. Robison hasn't been moaning about not getting paid. And, most importantly, Robison hasn't been acting like he's a "Me First" dochebag....unlike Ray, who did ALL those things.

Ray reminds me of Chris Hovan. Worth more in his mind than on the field.

Caine
    1. The Vikings didn't cut Edwards, he was a FA.

2. The reason Robison didn't cry about getting money is because 1. He was a backup & 2. He got his big payday before he was even named the starter. Of course he didn't cry about his salary, he didn't have to.

He never played a season making backup money. Do you think if they would have started him all season long & kept his salary at $460,000 he would have been happy & not said anything about it?

3. Edwards, the Vikings starter was upset because his back up got a bigger payday than he did & felt he should be paid mote than his back up.

Ray's 2010 salary: $1 mil
    Brian's 2011 salary: $4.7 mil

He had a very legitimate gripe & every reason to feel he should be paid more than his backup. Apparently some Vikings fans think Edwards should have kept his pie hole shut & simply accepted less money than his moderate backup that played considerably less than he did.

4. Do you believe that if they paid Camarillo 5X more than they paid Harvin, Harvin would be happy about it?

If they hired a guy at your work to work a fraction of the hours you did and paid him almost 5 times your annual salary, I find it hard to believe you would be happy with it & not say a word about it.
    Forgive me if I'm wrong here but didn't Ray make 2.5M in 2010 which was a huge raise from his 1.1M in 2009?

Brian got his raise because the Vikings knew they no longer wanted Edwards. Edwards became a victim in the CBA issue in 2010 to where he didn't get a big payday. Was that the Vikings fault? NO. It was a league issue but yet Ray seemed to blame it on the Vikings. The Vikings played it right by not paying for someone when they didn't have to. especially a loud moth POS that wants to degrade the organization that pays him publically.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

It more than likely is a step back from Edwards to Robison but then again the cost to keep them both was too high and they made a choice. This is one position however where they do have a decent draft pick in Griffin who has the chance to step up and take the place of Robison if he doesn't pan out which is not a luxury that the team has at very many positions so I am not nearly as worried about LDE than many other spots.

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

Quote Originally Posted by "singersp" #1103054
    Quote Originally Posted by "Caine" #1103052
    Quote Originally Posted by "singersp" #1103014
    Quote Originally Posted by "Caine" #1102904
    Going to be interesting to see how well he performs down there. Here's where the handful of "Ray isn't affected by who he plays with" posters get to prove the merits of their arguments.

Caine
    Going to be interesting to see how well Robison performs & if he can get double-digit sacks playing along side 3 pro bowlers to prove the merits of some posters arguments.

Ray gets to step up and PROVE how good he really is now. He got his "big Boy" contract...let's see if he lives up to it.

Robison gets the same challenge, but doesn't have the big mouth to add pressure to his task.

Caine
    So he opened his yap and set some goals. Did our slave AD get his 2000 yards yet?

At the end of the day, if we get worse play out of Robison & Ayodele than we would have/did with Edwards & Robison, the Vikings fucked up and took yet another skilled position & rather than improve it, they downgrade it.

BTW, he said he planned on breaking the record back in 2008. 3 years ago People still can't let it go & act as if he said in in 2009 & 2010 also.

I'm even alright with failing to achieve those goals...so long as you left it all on the field.

I'm NOT fine with then acting like you should be compensated based upon those goals, throwing a hissy-fit in the media about NOT being compensated (TWICE), and generally making an ass of yourself by saying, "I'm taking my ball and going home cuz nobody loves me".

The Vikings cut a guy who created moderate production for them but had a BAD ATTITUDE and projected that to the press and thereby to the fans. Maybe Robison gets run over all year long, but Robison hasn't been shooting his mouth off in the media. Robison isn't crying about not getting his way. Robison hasn't been moaning about not getting paid. And, most importantly, Robison hasn't been acting like he's a "Me First" dochebag....unlike Ray, who did ALL those things.

Caine
    Ooops...I meant "Let go" or "Cut ties with", not "Cut". Aside from that, the statement stands as written.

2. The reason Robison didn't cry about getting money is because 1. He was a backup & 2. He got his big payday before he was even named the starter. Of course he didn't cry about his salary, he didn't have to.

He never played a season making backup money. Do you think if they would have started him all season long & kept his salary at $460,000 he would have been happy & not said anything about it?
    I also don't see Greenway or Peterson crying about money. But it's ok if Ray does?

3. Edwards, the Vikings starter was upset because his back up got a bigger payday than he did & felt he should be paid mote than his back up.

He had a very legitimate gripe & every reason to feel he should be paid more than his backup. Apparently some Vikings fans think Edwards should have kept his pie hole shut & simply accepted less money than his moderate backup that played considerably less than he did.
    No one said he should be paid less than his back up...we said:

A: The Vikings COULDN'T negotiate with him due to the lock out.
    B: His statements lead us to believe he would be asking for more than we felt he was worth.
    C: His 2010 salary was in excess of 3 million....

Where you come up with this other crap is beyond me...

4. Do you believe that if they paid Camarillo 5X more than they paid Harvin, Harvin would be happy about it?

If they hired a guy at your work to work a fraction of the hours you did and paid him almost 5 times your annual salary, I find it hard to believe you would be happy with it & not say a word about it.
    Now we're equating Robison with Camarillo? Really?

You keep trying to make this into something it isn't. NO ONE asked Ray to play for less than his back up. NO ONE asked Ray to accept less money while paying someone else more. And no matter how many ways you spin it, it still isn't TRUE.

RAY went off when he was tendered in an uncapped year. He was looking for BIG $$$ and ONLY got 3 million plus (not the 1 mil you stated above).

RAY started whining about holding out.

RAY then played the 2010 season and had some pretty lackluster stats.

RAY then followed it up by FLAT OUT STATING that he wasn't going to play in Minnesota unless he got paid....while the Lockout was in progress and the Vikings couldn't talk to him EVEN IF THEY WANTED TO.

In short, Ray built a cross, dug a hole, put the cross up, then nailed himself to it and started whining about how unappreciated he was.

HE DID IT TO HIMSELF.

Clearer now?

Caine
    Umm, Ray's salary in 2010 was $1 million, not $3 million like your trying to sell;

http://content.usatoday.com/sportsdata/football/nfl/Vikings/salaries/2009-10

and here's his 2009 & earlier salaries;

http://content.usatoday.com/sportsdata/football/nfl/salaries/player/Ray-Edwards

Oh & BTW, when you're tendered a $2.5 mil contract to start in 2011 & your back up gets $4.7 mil, that sounds like lack of appreciation. That's a slap in the face.

He may not have played great, but neither did his back up who got the big payday.

If I got screwed over like that, I'd be pissed & say something about it too. I wouldn't be like some people here who would take it up the ass & then keep mum about it, like they wanted Edwards to do.

Well at least some people here are happy because we just paid a guy 5X times the money we were paying another guy for what will probably be similar production.
    I hate to be the one to point out the obvious, but your salary data is a year behind. When it says 2009-2010, it means the 2009 season. Ray made 1.1 million in 2009. That site doesn't show his 2010 salary.

But, based upon his tender, he made almost 3 million in 2010.

And, there is no guarantee that the Vikings weren't going to negotiate with him after the lockout....but Ray made such a stink about it, despite the fact that nothing could be done while he was crying (and "boxing"), that he turned off most of the fans...including me.

In short, no one was trying to "screw" Ray....he just decided he couldn't get what he wanted RIGHT NOW and threw a huge hissy fit.

Sort of like Culpepper with his emails to the media.

Caine
    You're right about the $3 mil. Here's a link to his 2010 & all Vikings FA salary;

http://blogs.twincities.com/Vikings/2011/01/vikings-free-agents-who-stays.html

The Vikings tendered Edwards $2.5 mil for 2011, less than his 2010 salary & jettisoned Robison up to $4.6 mil for 2011. They probably could have retained both for a little bit more, but with the Vikings offering Robison twice what they offered Edwards, it's understandable why it set him off.

I've liked Robison from the first year we got him & hope he pans out to be better than Ray & improves the position, but I feel the Vikings just paid a lot more money & didn't improve the position.

Interesting note: Rice made $550,000...less than Greg Lewis' $805,000?
    And, again, Edwards threw his fit during the lock out...when the Vikings couldn't have talked to him anyway!!! THAT is the point you seem to leave out.

The Vikes tendered Ray to see if they could pull a 1st rounder for him....they didn't. Then there was a lock out...and Ray cried like a petulant child. Robison got paid because the Vikes knew they couldn't get a 1st for him. Ina way, it was a compliment to Edwards.

But all he could see was $$$$$.

Screw him. I hope he fails horribly in Atlanta.

Caine

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame

Ray Edwards had offseason knee surgery

We have a better idea now why the market for defensive end Ray Edwards was softer than expected in free agency.

Falcons coach Mike Smith revealed that Edwards underwent “minor” knee surgery during the lockout, and will miss the team’s preseason opener. Edwards hasn’t participated in any live hitting during training camp.
    I wonder when he had this done with his boxing outing seeming to be his main focus during the lockout

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

Quote Originally Posted by "Caine" #1103098
    Quote Originally Posted by "singersp" #1103054
    Quote Originally Posted by "Caine" #1103052
    Quote Originally Posted by "singersp" #1103014
    Quote Originally Posted by "Caine" #1102904

Caine

Caine

Caine
    Ooops...I meant "Let go" or "Cut ties with", not "Cut". Aside from that, the statement stands as written.

I also don't see Greenway or Peterson crying about money. But it's ok if Ray does?

No one said he should be paid less than his back up...we said:

A: The Vikings COULDN'T negotiate with him due to the lock out.
    B: His statements lead us to believe he would be asking for more than we felt he was worth.
    C: His 2010 salary was in excess of 3 million....

Where you come up with this other crap is beyond me...

Now we're equating Robison with Camarillo? Really?

You keep trying to make this into something it isn't. NO ONE asked Ray to play for less than his back up. NO ONE asked Ray to accept less money while paying someone else more. And no matter how many ways you spin it, it still isn't TRUE.

RAY went off when he was tendered in an uncapped year. He was looking for BIG $$$ and ONLY got 3 million plus (not the 1 mil you stated above).

RAY started whining about holding out.

RAY then played the 2010 season and had some pretty lackluster stats.

RAY then followed it up by FLAT OUT STATING that he wasn't going to play in Minnesota unless he got paid....while the Lockout was in progress and the Vikings couldn't talk to him EVEN IF THEY WANTED TO.

In short, Ray built a cross, dug a hole, put the cross up, then nailed himself to it and started whining about how unappreciated he was.

HE DID IT TO HIMSELF.

Clearer now?

Caine
    Umm, Ray's salary in 2010 was $1 million, not $3 million like your trying to sell;

http://content.usatoday.com/sportsdata/football/nfl/Vikings/salaries/2009-10

and here's his 2009 & earlier salaries;

http://content.usatoday.com/sportsdata/football/nfl/salaries/player/Ray-Edwards

Oh & BTW, when you're tendered a $2.5 mil contract to start in 2011 & your back up gets $4.7 mil, that sounds like lack of appreciation. That's a slap in the face.

He may not have played great, but neither did his back up who got the big payday.

If I got screwed over like that, I'd be pissed & say something about it too. I wouldn't be like some people here who would take it up the ass & then keep mum about it, like they wanted Edwards to do.

Well at least some people here are happy because we just paid a guy 5X times the money we were paying another guy for what will probably be similar production.
    I hate to be the one to point out the obvious, but your salary data is a year behind. When it says 2009-2010, it means the 2009 season. Ray made 1.1 million in 2009. That site doesn't show his 2010 salary.

But, based upon his tender, he made almost 3 million in 2010.

And, there is no guarantee that the Vikings weren't going to negotiate with him after the lockout....but Ray made such a stink about it, despite the fact that nothing could be done while he was crying (and "boxing"), that he turned off most of the fans...including me.

In short, no one was trying to "screw" Ray....he just decided he couldn't get what he wanted RIGHT NOW and threw a huge hissy fit.

Sort of like Culpepper with his emails to the media.

Caine
    You're right about the $3 mil. Here's a link to his 2010 & all Vikings FA salary;

http://blogs.twincities.com/Vikings/2011/01/vikings-free-agents-who-stays.html

The Vikings tendered Edwards $2.5 mil for 2011, less than his 2010 salary & jettisoned Robison up to $4.6 mil for 2011. They probably could have retained both for a little bit more, but with the Vikings offering Robison twice what they offered Edwards, it's understandable why it set him off.

I've liked Robison from the first year we got him & hope he pans out to be better than Ray & improves the position, but I feel the Vikings just paid a lot more money & didn't improve the position.

Interesting note: Rice made $550,000...less than Greg Lewis' $805,000?
    And, again, Edwards threw his fit during the lock out...when the Vikings couldn't have talked to him anyway!!! THAT is the point you seem to leave out.

The Vikes tendered Ray to see if they could pull a 1st rounder for him....they didn't. Then there was a lock out...and Ray cried like a petulant child. Robison got paid because the Vikes knew they couldn't get a 1st for him. Ina way, it was a compliment to Edwards.

But all he could see was $$$$$.

Screw him. I hope he fails horribly in Atlanta.

Caine
    I'd rather a player vents during the off-season rather than the regular season, like another player that will not be welcomed back.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Quote Originally Posted by "vikinggreg" #1103948
    Ray Edwards had offseason knee surgery

We have a better idea now why the market for defensive end Ray Edwards was softer than expected in free agency.

Falcons coach Mike Smith revealed that Edwards underwent “minor” knee surgery during the lockout, and will miss the team’s preseason opener. Edwards hasn’t participated in any live hitting during training camp.
    I wonder when he had this done with his boxing outing seeming to be his main focus during the lockout
    Thanks for the read my friend.

Kindof links with a certain chucklehead on here who was saying something along the lines of the staff not wanting to give him a big contract because of his ability to play LDE for that time period.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456