Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Fairweather Fans!

Quote Originally Posted by "Zeus" #1088354
    Quote Originally Posted by "singersp" #1088346
    Quote Originally Posted by "Zeus" #1088321
    Quote Originally Posted by "Brewtal" #1088303
    Yeah I see Green Bay as having the worst band wagan fans.
    I could not disagree more. The worst bandwagon fans are, by far, Yankees fans. Followed by Cowboys and Steelers fans. Entire legions of fans who've never seen their team play in person and who became fans because those teams win stuff.
    Prior to Favre being a Packer, during the early 90's, many Packer fans hopped on the "America's team bandwagon" after their team had sucked for years & came back to the Pack once they started winning with Favre, bringing along defunct Cowboys fans with them.

The Walker trade & the success that the Cowboys had as a result of that, spawned many of those bandwagon fans.

Thank Mike Lynn for that.
    And before that, you have the 70s with TONS of Steelers and Cowboys fans because they were the winning teams.

=Z=
    Don't forget the '98ers! :side:

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion

Fairweather Fans!

Quote Originally Posted by "singersp" #1088355
    I could not disagree more. The worst bandwagon fans are, by far, Yankees fans. Followed by Cowboys and Steelers fans. Entire legions of fans who've never seen their team play in person and who became fans because those teams win stuff.
    Prior to Favre being a Packer, during the early 90's, many Packer fans hopped on the "America's team bandwagon" after their team had sucked for years & came back to the Pack once they started winning with Favre, bringing along defunct Cowboys fans with them.

The Walker trade & the success that the Cowboys had as a result of that, spawned many of those bandwagon fans.

And before that, you have the 70s with TONS of Steelers and Cowboys fans because they were the winning teams.

=Z=
    Comparing the 98ers to the fans of Steel Curtain, and Cowboys 1st hay day is a pretty weak comparison.

1998 Vikings = good/great team Steel Curtain = Dynasty.

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

Fairweather Fans!

I suppose sticking with a team that has yet to win a Superbowl, and can't even seem to get there anymore, is a bit insane after 50 years.

But I only have one team, the Vikes.

So this year I cheer for the team I hate the least.

The Steelers.
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

Fairweather Fans!

Yes, I have seen the Steelers logo on facebook quite a bit. I have seen a few Packer post on facebook too. I think that the fans that don't really have a solid favorite will have a tendency to flock to the teams that have won multiple superbowls.

I think it is human nature to do so.

Packers vs Jets would have been the least bandwagoners. JMHO!

Fairweather Fans!

It's the only downside to winning.

Well, one of the two, if you like the draft even more than the game itsself like I do.

Anyway, back to the point... I comfort myself by thinking that those people will never actually experience a Super Bowl victory like an actual fan would. You hop around from team to team, just following the wins and never actually build any kind of connection to your team.

Secondly, when you know someone for a while or, sometimes, even by just talking to them the first time, you can see whether they've been supporting the team through the rough patches or just jumped on the bandwagon when the team got going.

Of course, I can't comment too much. I've been a football fan for just a coule of years. Although, ironically, I did start rooting for the Packers, while knowing nothing about the game, during their 2005 season. The worst since '91.
    "You can look pretty smart if you have a knack for planning ahead. That's Ted. The Packers are in good hands." - Ron Wolf

Milkman14 is offline Waterboy

Fairweather Fans!

The enemy of my enemy is my friend. So for the next two weeks I will say Go Steelers.

My girlfriend is a 2nd generation Steelers fan so I can't knock her for that. Those are the games she saw growing up.

What pisses me off more than bandwagon fans are the true fairweather fans. People have mostly been referring to bandwagon fans, and there is a difference. A fairweather fan sticks with the same team but wont admit it during bad seasons and such.

Perfect example - This friend (I use that loosely) is a Packer "fan". She doesn't mention this fact the last couple of seasons. And definitely not when they went 0-2 against their old hero. Now all of a sudden GB is on their way to the SB and she is talking more sh*t to Viking fans than my Die Hard Packer buddies. Sad thing is she couldn't name 4 offensive players from GB if she tried.
    None

keystonevike is offline Starter

Fairweather Fans!

Quote Originally Posted by "Brewtal" #1088328
    Figured we were talking about Football, but yeah Yankees are the worst if you include all sports. As for Packers vs. Cowboys vs. Steelers it probably changes from state to state. Where I live GreenBay is certainly the worst, but that being said it is just because Dallas isn't good this year.
    Yeah. I live in PA (Harrisburg), and when the Steelers went to the SB against the Seahawks, everyone was a diehard Steelers fan. You heard nothing out of these people pre-Roethlisberger.

Minniman is offline Hall of Famer

Fairweather Fans!

My wife and her family are from Pittsburgh, and most of them have kept an eye on the Steelers over the years. Even in a poor season, they knew what was going on with the team and would watch some games.

The ones that did not also do not watch Vikings games during poor seasons and go purple in winning ones. At least none of them move from team to team like a plastic Walmart bag in the wind. It is just Steelers and Vikings.

My father in law hates the Steelers because of the Superbowl loss, so it will be another fun time on Superbowl Sunday.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Fairweather Fans!

Quote Originally Posted by "BloodyHorns82" #1088373

=Z=
    Comparing the 98ers to the fans of Steel Curtain, and Cowboys 1st hay day is a pretty weak comparison.

Doesn't matter if the team was great or a dynasty. We are talking about fairweather bandwagon fans here.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Fairweather Fans!

Quote Originally Posted by "singersp" #1088549
    Quote Originally Posted by "BloodyHorns82" #1088373

=Z=

Doesn't matter if the team was great or a dynasty. We are talking about fairweather bandwagon fans here.
    That's true, but they were gone quick enough, as well.

I think that the Pats and Steelers got some fairweather fans that actually sticked because they've been playing so well over the years. I mean, could the Patriots even sell out their stadium before that '95 SB and the consecutive string era of dominance with Belichick?

Even if they just go 8-8 for 3 seasons from here on out, I reckon some of those fairweather guys will stick.

Crap starts getting bad when they start having losing season. I bet that those seats will be empty again in no time.
    "You can look pretty smart if you have a knack for planning ahead. That's Ted. The Packers are in good hands." - Ron Wolf

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12