Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

Expiring CBA And Our 17 UN-Restricted Free Agents

So, the Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) between the players union and the NFL owners is set to expire shortly after the Superbowl, and with both sides doing more finger-pointing and name-calling than actual negotiating, I'm now under the assumption that we're going to see some wierdness this offseason if not a full-blown work stoppage/strike/etc.

As I recall, only one RFA changed teams last season. So, perhaps, the owners have agreed to not sign any extensions or new players until a new agreement is in place...? Maybe. But, fact remains, owners who are willing to spend, and/or have markets with enough income to not worry about the coming changes, could start grabbing FAs the first week of March. Pretty sure we've heard that the Vikings don't plan to sign anybody to anything until we have a new CBA...?

Which, makes me afraid that we could lose All of the Cream of Our Crop of FAs!!?!?

Of course, there are guys we're going to lose that we'll be OK without, and maybe, its more of a we can afford to lose A or B, but not A AND B!? Ie, keeping one of Greenway or Leber, Edwards or Robison is fully acceptable, but losing both and starting over would suck big stinky hairy gorilla balls!! We just don't have enough draft picks to fill that many holes.

I would sure hate to see guys like Greenway get away because we're sitting on our hands! He's a semi-local kid (SD) who loves being a Viking who has consistently proven his worth year after year. He led the NFC in tackles this season, and was 4th in the league. He came back from a rookie knee injury to amass 99 or more tackles for 4 years in a row. Thats a hell of a lot of "being around the Ball!"

So, my suggestion, is that we get ole Bizzdealski and Company working on some sort of temporary clause to cover our asses during this questionable time. Language to convert the new contract to the new CBA, along with agreeing to continue the old CBA temporarily would be included so we could sign a few, key guys now, when we have time to work on things, and so we're not behind the ball when all of a sudden there is a new CBA and the shit starts flying off the fan!

Or, maybe, we could offer, say, a million bucks? as sort of, a "demo ski" or "good faith" payment that would count toward their later contract if we decide to buy their services for multiple years. I would think, since the players are also in limbo, that they'd be willing to sign some sort of "first rights of refusal to match," of some sort, to get a few bucks in their pockets now to help set them up to better deal with a work stoppage if that happens anyway.

IMHO those rights would be worth purchasing from: Greenway, Rice, Robison, Pat Williams, Longwell, Leber, Ray Edwards and, maybe others, and ASAP!! IF Ray gets his fat contrct elsewhere, we can let him roll, but the offers for Robison, Pat, Longwell, Leber etc may well be worth matching!

Thins is, Yah, sure, you betcha, da Bears and Pack look to be good next year too, but we were only 1 game away 1 year ago ourselves, and have most of a solid core to compete in place. IF we hang on to the right guys and have a lil better luck on the injury front, we'll only have a few holes to fill, and should be able to compete for our division again immediately next season. IF we let most to all of those FAs walk, we are going completely into rebuilding mode and you might as well put the interim in between the lines in Frazier's title.

What do ya think PPO? Anybody else thought about this?

This roster seems to get updated regularly...if you'd like to look at the lists...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Minnesota_Vikings_roster

SKOL VIKINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

marshallvike is offline Team Alumni

Re: Expiring CBA And Our 17 UN-Restricted Free Agents

so who do we slap the franchise tag on? chad? tavaris? sidney?
    how about transition tags? were our tenders high enough to bring good draft picks in return if any of these guys are signed away?
    Why must you defend everything this FO does....to the point of making your self look like a yes man.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "marshallvike" #1088845
    so who do we slap the franchise tag on? chad? tavaris? sidney?
    how about transition tags? were our tenders high enough to bring good draft picks in return if any of these guys are signed away?
    I hope you were just sliding that one in there to see if we were paying attention and not because your were serious.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Hasn't there been a certain chucklehead on here yacking away about how he believes we are going to see a "Mass Exodus" this offseason, mostly because of the owners lack of revenue, but also because of the coaching change?
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

pack93z is offline Team Alumni

Haven't started to look into how big of a cluster nut this CBA thing is going to cause roster wise for any team specifically.. just that the uncertainty if it lags into the draft is going to cause a number of issues.. especially if they alter the league minimum before a player can hit FA..

Personally.. I think it is going to hamstring teams facing a heavy turnover to begin with.. the roster will be in more of a flux than normal and really with upset FA targets, the draft and trades, both surrounding the draft and else wise.

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

Pat Williams and Ray Edwards are gone, I don't think there's any way they'll be returning for 2011.

So of the remaining 15, I'd like to keep:
    Rice, Greenway, Longwell, Walker, Leber, Cook, and Robison.

Of those 7 I'd like us to really pay for:
    Rice and Greenway.

I think so long as we treat Leber fairly, he'll stick around.

Longwell, Walker, Cook, and Robison should come relatively cheap. We cannot overpay Longwell. Tell him we'll pay if he can consistently kick off into the end zone.

The remaining 8 are expendable at best, awful at worst.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1088849
    Hasn't there been a certain chucklehead on here yacking away about how he believes we are going to see a "Mass Exodus" this offseason, mostly because of the owners lack of revenue, but also because of the coaching change?
    That mass exodus was going to happen anyway. Some chucklehead has been saying for the past 2 years that the team was built to win last year and that it was going to be a downhill slide if we came up short, which we did. That same guy had many debates with others on here about whether he was right that the team was "built to win now" or whether he was wrong and it was "Built to win for the long term".

Well, as it turns out "Built to win now" was the correct answer.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Mr Anderson" #1088854
    Pat Williams and Ray Edwards are gone, I don't think there's any way they'll be returning for 2011.

So of the remaining 15, I'd like to keep:
    Rice, Greenway, Longwell, Walker, Leber, Cook, and Robison.

Of those 7 I'd like us to really pay for:
    Rice and Greenway.

I think so long as we treat Leber fairly, he'll stick around.

Longwell, Walker, Cook, and Robison should come relatively cheap. We cannot overpay Longwell. Tell him we'll pay if he can consistently kick off into the end zone.

The remaining 8 are expendable at best, awful at worst.
    I pretty much agree with that although I am not sure that I would over pay for Rice at this point. While he is productive when he is healthy I am not convinced he is worth the risk of a multi year contract with a bunch of guaranteed up front money. If we can improve our scouting team i think we could get a more durable player and save some cash and split the savings to retain leber and longwell.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1088867
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1088849
    That mass exodus was going to happen anyway. Some chucklehead has been saying for the past 2 years that the team was built to win last year and that it was going to be a downhill slide if we came up short, which we did. That same guy had many debates with others on here about whether he was right that the team was "built to win now" or whether he was wrong and it was "Built to win for the long term".

Well, as it turns out "Built to win now" was the correct answer.
    Built to win now. LOL. Thats a Deadskin/Dallas mentality and a cliche used by fans who don't understand how to build a team.

Teams like the Pats and the Steelers are built to win every year. You wanna know how they do it? They take care of a few each and every year, let the ones go that they don't need anymore and promote someone from the bench.

Ya wanna know were the Vikes screwed the Pooch? They invested heavily into a "Has Been" "Washed up" vet of a QB and didn't continue to draft young players ala the Steelers and Pats (and PUKERS by the by). They gave away draft picks for players that wound up being backups and didn't do anything on the field.

Again, I chuckle at your "Built to win now" cliche.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

dfosterf is offline Coach

I would just like to point out that as it stands right now, there will be NO free agency gains or losses until a new collective bargaining agreement is reached, by any team.

There will be a draft, but that is altered to an extraordinary degree also.

There will be NO trades of players for draft picks, NONE of the players drafted can be signed, and there will be NO undrafted free agents selected or signed in any way.

A draft...that is IT.

Presently--- subject to change if the Union decertifies, the NFL declares an impasse, etc.

Once there is a CBA, note that the market will probably be bloated in the sense that ALL teams will have a lot of free agents, especially when you consider that they will probably revert back to the 4 years until eligible.

Also, in other threads, people keep bringing up trading for Kolb, Orton, with draft picks, etc. (2nd is mentioned) This is NOT going to happen with any of this year's picks unless a new CBA is in place, so in order to do a trade , it would be after the draft, so you'd be looking at trading NEXT year's picks, which are typically devalued by approximately one round vs. a "this year's" pick.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast