Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Ex-Vikings aide Cottrell files for retirement

Posted on Tue, Feb. 14, 2006

[size=18px]Ex-Vikings aide Cottrell files for retirement[/size]

BY DON SEEHOLZER
    Pioneer Press

Still looking for work more than a month since being fired by the Vikings, and with no immediate job prospects, former defensive coordinator Ted Cottrell revealed Monday that he has filed retirement papers with the NFL.

"I don't want to retire," Cottrell, 58, said. "I'm being forced into retirement."

Fired Jan. 8 by new coach Brad Childress along with most of Mike Tice's staff, Cottrell said he thought his 22 years as an NFL assistant would land him an opportunity with another team.

It hasn't worked out that way, though, even with 10 teams changing head coaches.

"It's been a bizarre year," Cottrell said. "All these openings but no jobs. I've called some people and it's the same old story. 'We'll let you know if anything opens up.' "

Cottrell, who interviewed for the Vikings' head coaching job before Childress was hired, isn't alone.

Not counting Tice, who accepted a position two weeks ago as assistant head coach/offense in Jacksonville, only two former Vikings coaches have found work. Offensive coordinator Steve Loney took a job as offensive line coach in Arizona, and offensive assistant Randy Hanson was hired as an offensive quality control coach in St. Louis.

The rest, like Cottrell, are still looking, despite a 9-7 record that included a 7-2 finish.

"We won nine games and can't find work," Cottrell said. "It's amazing. I'm just amazed we could do that, almost pull off the comeback and make the playoffs, and not get jobs."

Fired with no time left on his Vikings contract, Cottrell said he had no choice but to file for retirement, although the checks won't start until August.

In addition to the Vikings' head coaching opening, Cottrell interviewed for defensive coordinator in Buffalo and a position coach job with New Orleans, but those spots have been filled.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Ex-Vikings aide Cottrell files for retirement

Good for him,

He can now try to put together a D....To protect his wallet, to make sure no one gets to run away with his AARP Card.....

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Just goes to show you how really crappy the Viking coaching staff was. Everyone in the league knew it! Man, that makes me even more excited about next year!
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

Del Rio Guest

This is no surprise, ever since the Jets let him go he has not been the same. He doesn't evolve, he is static in his approach.

I can't believe I actually had to argue with people that this guy sucked and was the root of our issues.

ChiTownVike is offline Hall of Famer

I hop he finds work somewhere. I met him at training camp last year and he seemed to be a really nice guy. Have fun sitting at home ebery day for the rest of your life!

Thank you Josdin for the sig

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

The article makes it sound like he is broke, he has been coaching for 22 years and a lot of those as defensive coordinator. He was with the Jets and Buffalo and I am sure he was making $500,000 to $600,000 a year at those places, plus he had to be making $400,000 here at least! Where did all the money go, I am not feeling sorry for Ted because I think he has plenty of money and I do not think that he is broke.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Del Rio Guest

Hell he will be recieving a retirment check.

If he wants to coach he can take on some college job.

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

"whackthepack" wrote:
    The article makes it sound like he is broke, he has been coaching for 22 years and a lot of those as defensive coordinator. He was with the Jets and Buffalo and I am sure he was making $500,000 to $600,000 a year at those places, plus he had to be making $400,000 here at least! Where did all the money go, I am not feeling sorry for Ted because I think he has plenty of money and I do not think that he is broke.
    I don't think the story is saying he's broke..

It's just saying he is applying for retirement....This would meen Social Security Bennys...something we all pay into and will recieve at retirement...Also all those great discounts for being a senior citz.....LOL

I doubt very much he is hurting for money, but what yours is yours and you better sign up for it, because God knows, the goverment won't come looking for you to make sure you get it....They only look for you when you owe them...Taxes

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

He ain't broke.. If he is, then it is his own fault. He has made enough money to be able to retire and wait until August to collect a check. If he is broke, I won't feel sorry for him.. Tell him to get a job!

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

Mybe everyone else in the league noticed how he managed to take a talented group of players and turn them into an average defense.

Sorry Ted, but you never showed enough to be an NFL head coach. You get no sympathy from me.

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast