Posted on Fri, Jun. 02, 2006

[size=18px]Ex-Vikings aide Cottrell eyeing league job[/size]

BY DON SEEHOLZER
Pioneer Press

Former Vikings defensive coordinator Ted Cottrell was at the NFL offices in New York on Thursday to interview for a job as the league's vice president of football operations and development.

Cottrell said league officials didn't set a timetable for filling the position, which opened when Art Shell left to become coach of the Oakland Raiders. But with no coaching options now, Cottrell said he thinks the job would be a perfect fit.

"I would love to do it," he said. "I would bring a lot to the job because of so many years (22) of coaching."

Fired Jan. 8 by new Vikings coach Brad Childress, Cottrell, 58, filed retirement papers with the NFL in February but has continued to explore coaching opportunities.

Included among the duties of the football operations position is the levying of player fines, the thought of which made Cottrell chuckle.

"I know the people in the league; I know the coaches; I know the officials," he said. "I think it would be a great opportunity for me."

Contract news: With Rick Spielman in place as the new vice president of player personnel, the Vikings are expected to announce today the structure of their personnel department.

Coordinator of pro personnel Jeff Robinson and senior consultant-pro personnel Paul Wiggin are expected to remain in their positions along with most members of the scouting department.

The Vikings announced last month that director of college scouting Scott Studwell had been signed to a three-year contract extension.

Still looking: Former Vikings running back Moe Williams was in St. Louis for a workout Wednesday, but agent Ethan Lock said he has no indication yet whether the team plans to offer the unrestricted free agent a contract.

"He wants to play again," Lock said. "It won't be in Minnesota, but he wants to play again."

Williams, a favorite of first-year Rams coach Scott Linehan when he was the Vikings' offensive coordinator, was convicted of disorderly conduct April 21 for his role in the Vikings' Oct. 6 boat party on Lake Minnetonka.

Briefly: The Winnipeg Free Press reported that an ESPN crew was in training camp last week to tape a story on former Vikings running back Onterrio Smith for an episode of "Outside the Lines." Smith, who was released by the Vikings on April 26, has been sidelined by a foot injury since signing with the Winnipeg Blue Bombers of the Canadian Football League on May 12 and wasn't expected to play in today's exhibition opener against the Montreal Alouettes.

Don Seeholzer can be reached at [email protected]

Ex-Vikings aide Cottrell eyeing league job