Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: Evaluating the NFC North

"C" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    I think we are jumping the gun...
    The bears are a bit ahead of us as I see it...

The bears had an injury riddled 2007. Lets not forget that.
    Both starting Cbs missed or was hurt in about 7-8 of their games.
    They traded/cut most of thier DTs.
    Tommy Harris was coming off a knee issue(torn ACL me thinks) and had knee issues all season long.
    Mike Brown was lost for the season.
    Urlacher had bck problems as well.

So they played without 1 saftey, Cbs, No DTs and an injuried MLB all season long.
    We cannot hope our luck will be that good this year. The bears will be back and the fight for the NFC north will be a tough one.
    They still have no QB and no Running back... and now no WR...
    And basically have the same injury riddled roster they had last year on Defense.
    What happens if they have the same injuries again.
    Rely on the depth they have?

Oooohhhhh wait, they don't have any depth.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "C" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:

Tommy Harris was coming off a knee issue(torn ACL me thinks) and had knee issues all season long.

So they played without 1 saftey, Cbs, No DTs and an injuried MLB all season long.
    We cannot hope our luck will be that good this year. The bears will be back and the fight for the NFC north will be a tough one.
    And basically have the same injury riddled roster they had last year on Defense.

The point is we can't count on that defense to be as hurt as they were last year.
    I'm just being honest. I think their QB is better than ours so far. Benson is the big question.
    Lets not forget their special team play that puts them im position. This team is a different team once it's past the 40. A great defense and a great return team can make this offense look a bit better.

Their corners will be back.
    There is no way Mike Brown can be lost for the season 3-4 years in a row right?
    Urlacher will play thru it right?

I just don't think we should be righting anyone off just yet. Especially since their TEs are looking extremly talented( love me great TEs)

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

[size=13pt]NFC North inside slant[/size]

By The Sports Xchange
    scout.com

Posted May 12, 2008

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

"kevoncox" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "C" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:

The point is we can't count on that defense to be as hurt as they were last year.
    I'm just being honest. I think their QB is better than ours so far. Benson is the big question.
    Lets not forget their special team play that puts them im position. This team is a different team once it's past the 40. A great defense and a great return team can make this offense look a bit better.

I just don't think we should be righting anyone off just yet. Especially since their TEs are looking extremly talented( love me great TEs)
    Who's discounting them.
    I am saying they have no depth and a couple of thier players still aren't right.

As to Benson.
    Rumor has it he won't even be the starter this year.
    They will have some rookie back there instead and we know how well rookie RB's pickup the blitz.
    ;D

You go ahead and count on thier Defense, thier ST's and thier TE's and I will say they will still have issues this year just like they have had for the past 5 years.

Consistency my friend.
    A very telling statistic.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

digital420 is offline Team Alumni

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "C" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:

Who's discounting them.
    I am saying they have no depth and a couple of thier players still aren't right.

As to Benson.
    They will have some rookie back there instead and we know how well rookie RB's pickup the blitz.
    ;D

You go ahead and count on thier Defense, thier ST's and thier TE's and I will say they will still have issues this year just like they have had for the past 5 years.

Consistency my friend.
    ;D
    it's not that they should be written off. they havn't done anything to be strengthened. they still have a stellar D, when all starters are in. it's what got them to the SB. it's their O that has taken bigger hits. Loosing a wr like BB wasn't easy to fix, rex is still consistantly a underachiever, they have great TE's, but they will be used for blocking as neither bensen, nor a rookie is gonna be able to stop any 1 of our front 4. as said allready, they can give great field position for their O to work with, but in a game of Defense vs Offense.. i take our D any day.

I won't say they will be bottem dwellers, they'll fight, they beat the packers and we didn't. but i don't see them holding a winning season this year. they have more work to do.

DiGiTaL

"We tried to stick with it, but there was a point where we were beating our head against a wall," Seattle Coach Mora talking about running at the Williams Wall

"digital420" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "C" wrote:
    [quote author=kevoncox link=topic=44887.msg777866#msg777866 date=1210609449]

Who's discounting them.

As to Benson.

;D

Consistency my friend.
    ;D
    it's not that they should be written off. they havn't done anything to be strengthened. they still have a stellar D, when all starters are in. it's what got them to the SB. it's their O that has taken bigger hits. Loosing a wr like BB wasn't easy to fix, rex is still consistantly a underachiever, they have great TE's, but they will be used for blocking as neither bensen, nor a rookie is gonna be able to stop any 1 of our front 4. as said allready, they can give great field position for their O to work with, but in a game of Defense vs Offense.. i take our D any day.

I won't say they will be bottem dwellers, they'll fight, they beat the packers and we didn't. but i don't see them holding a winning season this year. they have more work to do.

DiGiTaL

[/quote]
    I hear ya my friend but because that offense will continue to be so inept thier defense will spend lots of time on the field and then the injuries will start to happen and then the depth issues will arise again.

Seems to me that it is a re-occuring issue with the Bears the last 3 or so years.

They are 2 years removed from the Superbowl Marr!
    I just think everone shouldbe assuming that we will win. I rank them above us because theye addressed some concerns this offseason on offense.

I think their defense is very dangerous when healthy and May be better than ours right now.

"kevoncox" wrote:
    I just think everone shouldbe assuming that we will win. I rank them above us because theye addressed some concerns this offseason on offense.

I think their defense is very dangerous when healthy and May be better than ours right now.
    I hear ya but even though they are just 2 years from the SB they have even bigger wholes/glaring issues today than they did last year and when they lost the SB especially on the Offensive side of the ball.

And don't lump me in with everyone.
    I haven't written them off and agree, when healthy, thier D is pretty damn good.

What I'm saying is that thier offense will suck (No WR's, No RB', No QB) which will keep an aging Defense (prone to injury) on the field more than thier HC wants it to be on the field.

That will in turn result in increased risk of injury which together with no depth will be the down fall of them as the year goes on.

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

Unless you're buying into the addition by subtraction theory, this list tells me the Bears have gone down hill...

PLAYERS LOST

--S Adam Archuleta (released).
    --LB Brendon Ayanbadejo: UFA Ravens; $4.9M/4 yrs, $1.9M SB.
    --WR Bernard Berrian: UFA Vikings; $42M/6 yrs, $$5M SB/$8M RB; $3M RB '09.
    --TE John Gilmore: UFA Buccaneers; terms unknown.
    --QB Brian Griese (traded Buccaneers).
    --CB Ade Jimoh (released).
    --DT Jimmy Kennedy: UFA Jaguars (Bears had individually negotiated right of first refusal and did not match); $655,000/1 yr, $50,000 SB.
    --T Fred Miller (released/failed physical).
    --WR Muhsin Muhammad (released).
    --DT Darwin Walker (released).

UNRESTRICTED FREE AGENTS
    --OG Ruben Brown missed the final eight games of the season with a shoulder injury that required surgery, which, after 13 NFL seasons, is probably a career ender.
    http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/teams/report/CHI/10818334

CHI is looking at a minimum of 2 new starters at OL and WR.
    IMHO neither Loyd nor Booker is the equivalent of either Berrian or Moose at WR.
    We all know it takes time for an OL to "gel."
    Depending on which spot Chris Williams earns, maybe, they've got 3 new starters on OL.
    My guess is that Hester is now a starter at WR...while he flashed at times, he also showed the need for knowledge and experience at that new position.

I'll agree, their ST is one of the best, and their Defense could be, IF they are healthy.
    But, Urlacher still has issues, and Mike Brown needs to overcome the issues that have caused him to "miss 43 of the previous 64 games over the past four seasons."
    That's not a very good record.
    I think they upgraded depth at RB and S in the draft, but its not often you get a huge, consistent contribution from rookies.

GB is darn near as good as they were last year.
    They only lost one guy, albeit, a HOFer, all the other pieces are in place and the guy taking over is not a rookie, he has been there for 3 years "learning the system."

DET might have made more strides on paper than we did.
    They upgraded one of the worst secondarys in the league with the trade for CB Bodden and the additions of BKelly at CB and at S of DSmith and Kalvin Pearson.
    Most likely 4 new starters, but Smith and Kelly both played for Kiffin in the original Tampa2, so there is some familiarity there.
    They dropped two highly touted, early (both 2nds I think) LBs in Lehman and Bailey, but drafted 2 guys with potential in the 2nd and 3rd rounds, Dizon and Avril.
    Dizon's 463 tackles are 8th in all time NCAA history, he's got that part down.
    He the best time in the three cone, and that shows some pretty amazing balance and agility on the fly, even though he doesn't have the great straight line speed.
    Avril is kind of a freak at 6'3" 255 lbs and running a 4.5...he's got experience at OLB and DE, and IMHO could be a scary weapon for the Lions with some time to develop.

Even with all that, I think they may have missed a couple of big holes.
    I'm not convinced they did enough to improve their OL, which has allowed over 50 sacks for 2 years in a row, but they've got some playmakers in place who can make up for some of that, as they have in the past.
    How much they miss Saun Rogers also remains to be seen, but, if I recall correctly, he was missing time on a regular basis anyway...or, just not showing up on the stat sheet in some games.

There's all sorts of stuff I've posted all over the place about how stoked I am with the Vikings Offseason, so we'll leave that where it is for now.

In short, it won't be easy, and we'll be in some close games due to youthful (and FAs new to the system) mistakes, but I think we've got the experience we need at enough spots to make up for them and, therefore, a good chance of winning this division*.
    I am fully hoping/somewhat expecting* we're at 10-6 or better, and that should be plenty to get at least a wildcard in the NFC!!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

*disclaimer* provided we have a somewhat successful (lucky) year on the injuries too!
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:

I hear ya but even though they are just 2 years from the SB they have even bigger wholes/glaring issues today than they did last year and when they lost the SB especially on the Offensive side of the ball.

And don't lump me in with everyone.
    I haven't written them off and agree, when healthy, thier D is pretty gol 'darnit good.

What I'm saying is that thier offense will suck (No WR's, No RB', No QB) which will keep an aging Defense (prone to injury) on the field more than thier HC wants it to be on the field.

That will in turn result in increased risk of injury which together with no depth will be the down fall of them as the year goes on.
    I got you. However, with rex you never know what you have. I don't count the guy out and his demise is more media hacks than bad play. Youdon't know what you have with B. lloyd. Is he the San fransico kid or the bum in DC( who felt out of favor with Gibbs and was never used) Same with Booker who is old as crust... However, Olson and Benson could be solid. After all they beat GB twice last year. The same grean bay that beat us down 31 - 0.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast