Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Purple Floyd's Avatar
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    16,646
    Blog Entries
    1

    ESPNís QB special undermines QB stat

    ESPN unveiled its new Total Quarterback Rating statistic with a TV special on Friday night, and the odd thing about it is that the people featured on the special didnít seem to buy into the stat.

    Although ESPN wants fans to believe that Total QBR is a big step forward in statistical analysis of the quarterback position, the special started with Monday Night Football analysts Jon Gruden and Ron Jaworski both expressing skepticism.

  2. #2
    midgensa's Avatar
    midgensa is offline Jersey Retired Free Kick Specialist 3 Champion
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    6,308

    Re: ESPNís QB special undermines QB stat

    Was some of the most ridiculous bullshit I have ever seen.

    They are all over the place with this. It is like they are trying to "create" an OPS or WHIP for football and be the ones who can be credited with it.

    It is moronic.

  3. #3
    CPonderFan is offline Rookie
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Peoria, AZ
    Posts
    75

    Re: ESPNís QB special undermines QB stat

    Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1103445
    ESPN unveiled its new Total Quarterback Rating statistic with a TV special on Friday night, and the odd thing about it is that the people featured on the special didnít seem to buy into the stat.

    Although ESPN wants fans to believe that Total QBR is a big step forward in statistical analysis of the quarterback position, the special started with Monday Night Football analysts Jon Gruden and Ron Jaworski both expressing skepticism.
    Classic ESPN!
    None

  4. #4
    Purple Floyd's Avatar
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    16,646
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: ESPNís QB special undermines QB stat

    Quote Originally Posted by "midgensa" #1103447
    Was some of the most ridiculous bullshit I have ever seen.

    They are all over the place with this. It is like they are trying to "create" an OPS or WHIP for football and be the ones who can be credited with it.

    It is moronic.
    I think this is like SWAG ( Scientific wild ass guess) 2.0

    Just ESPN trying to act like they have a clue.

  5. #5
    Zeus's Avatar
    Zeus is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Minnesota.
    Posts
    23,937

    Re: ESPNís QB special undermines QB stat

    Quote Originally Posted by "midgensa" #1103447
    Was some of the most ridiculous bullshit I have ever seen.

    They are all over the place with this. It is like they are trying to "create" an OPS or WHIP for football and be the ones who can be credited with it.

    It is moronic.
    As is the current passer rating stat.

    I appreciate a lot of what they are trying to do - especially finding a way NOT to reward a passer for throwing a 5-yard pass that someone like Percy turns into a 50-yard gain.

    =Z=

    Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

  6. #6
    midgensa's Avatar
    midgensa is offline Jersey Retired Free Kick Specialist 3 Champion
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    6,308

    Re: ESPNís QB special undermines QB stat

    Quote Originally Posted by "Zeus" #1103490
    Quote Originally Posted by "midgensa" #1103447
    Was some of the most ridiculous bullshit I have ever seen.

    They are all over the place with this. It is like they are trying to "create" an OPS or WHIP for football and be the ones who can be credited with it.

    It is moronic.
    As is the current passer rating stat.

    I appreciate a lot of what they are trying to do - especially finding a way NOT to reward a passer for throwing a 5-yard pass that someone like Percy turns into a 50-yard gain.

    =Z=
    The current passer rating stat works. For the most part the highest rated ones are the best guys in the league (Manning, Brees, Rivers, etc.)

    I agree it is not good for comparing current players to those of the 60s and 70s, but in general it is a good measuring tool.

  7. #7
    Johnson14's Avatar
    Johnson14 is offline Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,681

    Re: ESPNís QB special undermines QB stat

    Quote Originally Posted by "CPonderFan" #1103462
    Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1103445
    ESPN unveiled its new Total Quarterback Rating statistic with a TV special on Friday night, and the odd thing about it is that the people featured on the special didnít seem to buy into the stat.

    Although ESPN wants fans to believe that Total QBR is a big step forward in statistical analysis of the quarterback position, the special started with Monday Night Football analysts Jon Gruden and Ron Jaworski both expressing skepticism.
    Classic ESPN!
    +1

  8. #8
    Zeus's Avatar
    Zeus is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Minnesota.
    Posts
    23,937

    Re: ESPNís QB special undermines QB stat

    Quote Originally Posted by "midgensa" #1103497
    Quote Originally Posted by "Zeus" #1103490
    Quote Originally Posted by "midgensa" #1103447
    Was some of the most ridiculous bullshit I have ever seen.

    They are all over the place with this. It is like they are trying to "create" an OPS or WHIP for football and be the ones who can be credited with it.

    It is moronic.
    As is the current passer rating stat.

    I appreciate a lot of what they are trying to do - especially finding a way NOT to reward a passer for throwing a 5-yard pass that someone like Percy turns into a 50-yard gain.
    The current passer rating stat works. For the most part the highest rated ones are the best guys in the league (Manning, Brees, Rivers, etc.)

    I agree it is not good for comparing current players to those of the 60s and 70s, but in general it is a good measuring tool.
    The current passer rating stat is a joke.

    Any clue how it's calculated?

    http://www.baseball-statistics.com/Greats/Century/passer-rating.htm

    =Z=

    Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

  9. #9
    midgensa's Avatar
    midgensa is offline Jersey Retired Free Kick Specialist 3 Champion
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    6,308

    Re: ESPNís QB special undermines QB stat

    Quote Originally Posted by "Zeus" #1103575
    Quote Originally Posted by "midgensa" #1103497
    Quote Originally Posted by "Zeus" #1103490
    Quote Originally Posted by "midgensa" #1103447
    Was some of the most ridiculous bullshit I have ever seen.

    They are all over the place with this. It is like they are trying to "create" an OPS or WHIP for football and be the ones who can be credited with it.

    It is moronic.
    As is the current passer rating stat.

    I appreciate a lot of what they are trying to do - especially finding a way NOT to reward a passer for throwing a 5-yard pass that someone like Percy turns into a 50-yard gain.
    The current passer rating stat works. For the most part the highest rated ones are the best guys in the league (Manning, Brees, Rivers, etc.)

    I agree it is not good for comparing current players to those of the 60s and 70s, but in general it is a good measuring tool.
    The current passer rating stat is a joke.

    Any clue how it's calculated?

    http://www.baseball-statistics.com/Greats/Century/passer-rating.htm

    =Z=
    I am perfectly in agreement that the calculation is crazy or whatever. But when you look at the top 10 in passer rating in a given year, it is normally the 10 best QBs in the league, so it works fairly well.

    2010: Brady, Rivers, Rodgers, Vick, Roehtlisberger, Freeman, Flacco, Cassel, Schaub, Manning (pretty good list there).
    Ė You could make a good argument that No. 11 and No. 12 (Ryan and Brees) are better than a chunk of these guys, but as a whole, those are the 12 good QBs last year and they are 1-12.

    2009: Brees, Favre, Rivers, Rodgers, Roethlisberger, Manning, Schaub, Romo, Brady, Warner
    Ė Another pretty good list and shows that the passer rating (however it is calculated) is pretty good at showing who the top dogs are, even if they are in a slightly askewed order.

    I don't love the passer rating stat for comparing all-time QBs because the eras are SO different and the stat is very different accordingly. But it is a very good measure of an individual season and at least worth noting for a career, especially careers post 1995.

    EDIT: All that being said ... the more I read about the QBR ... the more it is growing on me.

  10. #10
    jmcdon00's Avatar
    jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,278

    Re: ESPNís QB special undermines QB stat

    Quote Originally Posted by "Zeus" #1103575
    Quote Originally Posted by "midgensa" #1103497
    Quote Originally Posted by "Zeus" #1103490
    Quote Originally Posted by "midgensa" #1103447
    Was some of the most ridiculous bullshit I have ever seen.

    They are all over the place with this. It is like they are trying to "create" an OPS or WHIP for football and be the ones who can be credited with it.

    It is moronic.
    As is the current passer rating stat.

    I appreciate a lot of what they are trying to do - especially finding a way NOT to reward a passer for throwing a 5-yard pass that someone like Percy turns into a 50-yard gain.
    The current passer rating stat works. For the most part the highest rated ones are the best guys in the league (Manning, Brees, Rivers, etc.)

    I agree it is not good for comparing current players to those of the 60s and 70s, but in general it is a good measuring tool.
    The current passer rating stat is a joke.

    Any clue how it's calculated?

    http://www.baseball-statistics.com/Greats/Century/passer-rating.htm

    =Z=
    It's really not that comlicated. You only need 4 numbers:Attempts, completions, TD and Int. The QB rating is just quicker way to summarize the Qb's play.
    I like the idea behind the QBR, uses more actors than just the 4 most basic stats. I wish it was more transparent though, nobody really knows the exact formula, we just accept them.
    Many think stats are meaningless, but as midge points out the top rated QBs are almost always the top QBs, given a fair sample size.
    Stats can tell alot. Vegas uses complex formulas for sports betting.

    Pretty good read (but http://bleacherreport.com/articles/795125-explanation-of-the-new-qbr-total-quarterback-rating-for-the-nfllong). The example they use for is betting on the Vikings Saints playoff game.

Similar Threads

  1. Cris Carter may not be back on ESPNís Sunday NFL C
    By Marrdro in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-15-2011, 01:34 PM
  2. How "Special" are our Special teams players?
    By bsmithberkley in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 05-17-2010, 01:58 PM
  3. Vikings put special focus on improving special teams
    By singersp in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-13-2009, 11:43 AM
  4. Childress gives Vikings special teams some special attention
    By Garland Greene in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-06-2007, 12:55 AM
  5. Special teams looming as special unit for Vikings
    By singersp in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-12-2005, 12:35 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •