Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Formo's Avatar
    Formo is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    2,664

    ESPN - Rick Reilly's article on a small MN HS football team

    [size=12pt]No players, no problem.
    One Minnesota high school keeps winning football games anyway.[/size]


    by Rick Reilly

    If what's happening to the McLeod West (Minn.) High football team right now sounds like a movie, it's only because it should be one.

    Some teams in McLeod's division have as many as 60 players on their rosters. McLeod has 19. And three of those are ninth graders who weigh 110 pounds, including helmet.

    Most teams kick PATs. McLeod always goes for two. Not because it wants to. The team doesn't have a kicker.

    Most teams run players on and off the field—offense, defense and special teams. McLeod only runs one guy in and out—that's because the 10 other guys never leave the field. They play offense, defense and special teams..
    Very interesting..
    And very sad.
    Vegans are eating the rainforests. =(

  2. #2
    V4L's Avatar
    V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    20,612

    Re: ESPN - Rick Reilly's article on a small MN HS football team

    Wow they got stamina!

    I couldnt do it

  3. #3
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,605
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: ESPN - Rick Reilly's article on a small MN HS football team

    Great Article.

    Undermanned and undersized, McLeod goes into every game an underdog the size of the one in the Macy's parade. How it beats powerhouses like second-ranked, 52-player Wabasso (22-20) is a mystery the equivalent of Janet Reno winning Playmate of the Year.
    < shudder >
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  4. #4
    Formo's Avatar
    Formo is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    2,664

    Re: ESPN - Rick Reilly's article on a small MN HS football team

    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    Great Article.

    Undermanned and undersized, McLeod goes into every game an underdog the size of the one in the Macy's parade. How it beats powerhouses like second-ranked, 52-player Wabasso (22-20) is a mystery the equivalent of Janet Reno winning Playmate of the Year.
    < shudder >
    Reilly's metaphors are awesome in this article.
    Vegans are eating the rainforests. =(

  5. #5
    Nightgaunt is offline Starter
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    169

    Re: ESPN - Rick Reilly's article on a small MN HS football team

    "Formo" wrote:
    [size=12pt]No players, no problem.
    One Minnesota high school keeps winning football games anyway.[/size]


    by Rick Reilly

    If what's happening to the McLeod West (Minn.) High football team right now sounds like a movie, it's only because it should be one.

    Some teams in McLeod's division have as many as 60 players on their rosters. McLeod has 19. And three of those are ninth graders who weigh 110 pounds, including helmet.

    Most teams kick PATs. McLeod always goes for two. Not because it wants to. The team doesn't have a kicker.

    Most teams run players on and off the field—offense, defense and special teams. McLeod only runs one guy in and out—that's because the 10 other guys never leave the field. They play offense, defense and special teams..
    Very interesting..
    And very sad.
    Awesome story, almost makes me wanna go see that game tomorrow evening. I dont live to far from there.

  6. #6
    HEY's Avatar
    HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    2,201
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: ESPN - Rick Reilly's article on a small MN HS football team

    The one game they lost this season was to a team that showed up running a no-huddle offense. It's hard enough never coming off the field, but never getting to rest during a huddle? If Cathedral saw that film, McLeod might be toast this weekend
    My team ran alot of no-huddles in our last game against our biggest rival, VÃ¥lerenga Trolls. It worked very well cause the other team had like 15 players showing up for the game.

    The final score was 64 - 0

  7. #7
    funkyasflea's Avatar
    funkyasflea is offline Pro-Bowler
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    331

    Re: ESPN - Rick Reilly's article on a small MN HS football team

    "HEY" wrote:
    The one game they lost this season was to a team that showed up running a no-huddle offense. It's hard enough never coming off the field, but never getting to rest during a huddle? If Cathedral saw that film, McLeod might be toast this weekend
    My team ran alot of no-huddles in our last game against our biggest rival, VÃ¥lerenga Trolls. It worked very well cause the other team had like 15 players showing up for the game.

    The final score was 64 - 0
    That's just mean.
    The team doesn't have enough players to switch out and you go no huddle to tire them out.
    If I were the coach on the team with 15 players I would not be too happy with your coach.

  8. #8
    baumy300 is offline Star Spokesman
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    2,065

    Re: ESPN - Rick Reilly's article on a small MN HS football team

    "funkyasflea" wrote:

    That's just mean.
    The team doesn't have enough players to switch out and you go no huddle to tire them out.
    If I were the coach on the team with 15 players I would not be too happy with your coach.
    My God, does every one of your posts have to contain some kind of philosophical bull shit?

    I'S A GAME! Do you not understand the point of playing a game?

    Hint - It is to win. You need a strategy to win. That is what this team did -Played off of another teams weakness.

    So if we are playing the Saints on Monday and the Saints whole starting D-Line and Linebacking corps goes down, should we quit running the ball because it would be unfair to throw AD at 2nd stringers?

    Maybe just stick with the barbie dolls.

  9. #9
    ultravikingfan's Avatar
    ultravikingfan is offline Administrator
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Posts
    24,514

    Re: ESPN - Rick Reilly's article on a small MN HS football team

    That's a really great story of a team overcoming adversity to win.
    They did not make excuses like 99% of others would have made, they just came out and played football!

    It's also sad that this may be the last year for some.


Similar Threads

  1. I would like to get involved in a small $$ fantasy football club nexy year
    By purplepowered in forum Fantasy Football Talk
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-06-2008, 05:25 PM
  2. T-Jack article on ESPN.com
    By Redmption in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-21-2007, 02:15 PM
  3. Rick Spielmann article in ESPN Insider-Vikes FA moves
    By Muggsy in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-16-2006, 03:35 AM
  4. ESPN names the new Monday Night Football team
    By michaelmazid in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 02-10-2006, 08:46 PM
  5. ESPN Insider article
    By Muggsy in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 09-17-2005, 02:42 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •