Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

ESPN reports reports talks are dead

ESPN reported less than an hour ago that contract talks were "dead." So we go on, I guess. FA still begins at Midnight on Sunday.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2354233

Upshaw must be a real dink! The owners met him half way on the revenue sharing and he still didn't budge. The players will be the big losers here!
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

Re: ESPN reports reports talks are dead

Wow, what a bunch of crap. i'm scared of what it does to the future of the league, talk of no salary cap, no draft, its crazy.

I'm really curious to see the raiders cuts, probably along the lines of warren sapp and some other dead weight. Same with the skins, maybe we can pluck some players away from our competition.

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

Oh man, I can't believe he didn't budge on the revenue sharing! What an idiot!

pokeyisme is offline Rookie

this is going to be a crazy season!!!!! can't wait!!!

mnjamie is offline Ring of Fame

Talks are off ... Let the fun begin Sunday !

Well, well ....

Let the fun begin tomorrow evening ... I can't wait !!! Start cutting those studs or face having draft picks taken away:

NFL | Talks between NFL and NFLPA break off again
    Sat, 4 Mar 2006 12:57:04 -0800

ESPNews reports the NFL and NFLPA have broken off talks once again regarding a new CBA. Union executive director Gene Upshaw is reportedly headed back to Washington and sources have noted the deal is "dead as a doornail."

http://kffl.com/hotw/nfl

Updated: March 4, 2006, 4:38 PM ET
    Union not optimistic for labor deal
    ESPN.com news services

The NFL's labor negotiations started off well Saturday, with the sides meeting for five hours. But by the end of the day, neither faction had cause for optimism.

Sources told ESPN's Chris Mortensen that the management negotiating team is not overly optimistic at this point. One source characterized it as having "less than a 50 percent chance of getting it done."

Both sides apparently have a lot of concern about the revenue-sharing model.

Union lawyer Jeffrey Kessler, a lead negotiator for the NFLPA, said that the talks "are as dead as a doornail."

Kessler told ESPN that this is "a sad day for the NFL."

Kessler said there is no plan for resumption of talks, and that executive director of the NFL Players Association Gene Upshaw is on his way back to Washington, D.C.

The talks that took place today from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. concluded "because the NFL is unwilling to compromise," Kessler said.

Representatives from teams withheld comment, waiting to see if an agreement could be reached by midnight Sunday to avert what could be mass cuts of veterans to get under a salary cap that will be about $10 million less than anticipated.

Earlier in the week, negotiations broke off and the league set the salary cap for free agency at $94.5 million. Teams with a salary load far higher than that had anticipated an agreement that could have given them extra room to keep veterans.

A high-level source with one NFL team told ESPN.com the league has informed teams that any player placed on waivers during this period of uncertainty can be recalled from waivers until there is more clarity about the pending free-agency period.

Upshaw said after the earlier talks broke off that the NFL was offering 56.2 percent of its total revenues to the players. Upshaw has said he will not go under 60 percent.

In Friday's negotiations, sources told Mortensen that the owners narrowed the gap on the percentage that players are demanding with a CBA extension. Management raised the ante by two points, offering players a 58.2 percent cut of the revenue pie. The union has been set at a 60.3 percentage, but could compromise depending on the revenue sharing model.

Upshaw denied that the owners had raised the percentage by two points. Upshaw said the offer was 56.5 percent.

"They want a bigger piece of the pie [than they had under the current deal], and I am heading back to Washington," Upshaw told Mortensen.

Asked for his thoughts on the NFL management negotiating team having a conference call with the owners' executive committee to discuss the situation, Upshaw said: "We see no need to continue because they are offering a lower deal than we had in the past."

As incentive to get the two sides to reach an agreement, the owners also offered the players a $10 million increase in this year's salary cap under an extension, from $94.5 million to about $105 million. That will require an adjustment in appropriations of TV revenues, but that is somewhat easily accomplished, a source told Mortensen. Without a reappropriation of those revenues, the salary cap is projected at about $100 million with an extension.

The bigger obstacles involve the revenue-sharing model among owners. Low-revenue clubs want a limit on how much actual cash clubs can spend each year on their payrolls that exceed the salary cap. This was being accomplished through the prorations of signing bonuses given to players, and the union is reluctant to change any of those rules.

Commissioner Paul Tagliabue did send a memo to owners on Friday, telling them to set aside Tuesday for possible ratification of a new CBA, although owners have granted their eight-member executive committee the authority to sign off on any agreement reached this weekend.

If an agreement is reached, it is possible the two sides could delay free agency again for a few days to allow negotiators to get a grasp on the economic model.

Several management sources have confirmed that despite the show of solidarity presented on Thursday morning following an owners' meeting, if there is no CBA extension, it will be because of disagreement among owners on the principles of revenue sharing.

Upshaw has always wanted that issue decided first among the owners in these last-minute talks, which began Friday after the deadline for free agency was extended three days from Friday at 12:01 a.m. ET until Monday at the same time.

The labor agreement, extended several times since it was agreed to in 1992, has another two years to run. But 2006 would be the last year with a salary cap.

There would be no cap next year, but also many changes in the rules, including some the players find unappealing -- six years for a player to get to free agency instead of four and no minimum amount that teams have to spend.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2354233

Oh baby, this is going to be fun. Rob, Fran, and Childress better get a little sleep tonight, cause its gonna be a couple of long nights coming up !!!!

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Talks are off ... Let the fun begin Sunday !

See, this is what I was talking about. This deal is as dead as it was on Thursday, when they delayed FA the first time. Now all of this happened for nothing.. I agree, the fun is just beginning. Wilf open up the wallet my leader friend, and Childress put that thinking cap on and let the talking begin..

mr.woo is offline Team Alumni

hold onto your seats its gonna be a wild ride
    woo out
    just two corn cobs shy of a bushel

Euphman06 is offline Asst. Coach

this just makes me think that Upshaw guy is a complete moron... What's in it for him, he obviously is making it look like he wants something. What a prick.

magicci is offline Jersey Retired

we are a low revenue team =(

muchluv4smoot is offline Team Alumni

"VikesfaninWis" wrote:
    See, this is what I was talking about. This deal is as dead as it was on Thursday, when they delayed FA the first time. Now all of this happened for nothing.. I agree, the fun is just beginning. Wilf open up the wallet my leader friend, and Childress put that thinking cap on and let the talking begin..

I would be shocked if they didn't talk more tomorrow. Talks for today may be dead, but I doubt they go all day tomorrow without talking. This is too important not to try as much as they can before giving up.

If no deal is reached, guys like Alexander and James aren't gonna get anything near what they are looking for, in a contract. I already expected them both to get less then they expected to, but with a lower cap # then expected, teams just won't be able to spend too much on them. I wouldn't be suprised to see either of them take a 1 year deal(possibly with their old teams), so they can cash in next offseason.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast