Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    muchluv4smoot is offline Team Alumni

Re: ESPN Power Rankings

"ultravikingfan" wrote:
    What was their record?

They did not need Burress to win. That is not their formula. That is why Cowher did not care to even have that punk on the team anymore. They are a run first, run second, run third, then pass the ball if they need to.

Once they have the lead, look at how many times they run the ball as opposed to throwing it.

My point is, look at how close those games without burress were. They struggled and yes they did win them last year, but you aren't always gonna have everything go your way and be able to win those ugly games. They dominated with burress and struggled but won without him. If they don't get all the breaks or if roethlisburger plays like he is a 2nd year guy, or if their old injury prone RB's get hurt, they very easily could lose some games.

It's just to dang hard to win on a yearly basis in the NFL now and that is what makes what the pats have done lately, so amazing.

And I checked the stats and burress had 685 yards and 5 TD's to wards 600 yards and 3 Td's, when they both played, so I still say burress was ben's favorite receiver and that is why he wasn't the same without burress.

No burress and their running game isn't as effective and thus ben has to do more with less receivers, and thus ben struggles, and thus their offense struggles. This is how I see some games going next year. 11-5 seems more realistic to me, which is still very good, but not enough to be ahead of the much improved ravens IMO.

It's not disrespect towards the steelers to not see them going 15-1 or anything close to that. That is the NFL today. No team, if they went 15-1 the year before, would be expected to match that or come close to that. Not with the turnaround in the league today.

With burress they won by 12.3 pts a game, without 6 pts a game. A few breaks don't go their way and they could easily lose a few more games IMO.

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

Ok, I'll take your word for it.

I am not going to dig up all the match-ups and other things that could have contributed to the point differentials. I just did not see Burress being that effective on their offense. If he was, why is he not a Steeler anymore? They can win just fine without him as their #2 WR.

"ultravikingfan" wrote:
    Ok, I'll take your word for it.

I am not going to dig up all the match-ups and other things that could have contributed to the point differentials. I just did not see Burress being that effective on their offense. If he was, why is he not a Steeler anymore? They can win just fine without him as their #2 WR.

See your missing my point. I am not saying they can't win without burress, because they can and did last year. I am saying it will be harder for them, which it was last year and that is one reason I think they will lose a few more games than last year because of that. They got some breaks and won some close games, but that is something that doesn't happen to teams every year. It was one of those special years for them IMO.

11-5 isn't a bad season for a team with a 2nd year QB, who just lost their #2 WR and didn't replace him and who has a suspect secondary.

I just see the ravens being even better than 11-5.

And sorry I dug up, the #'s. I usually am too lazy to do that, but am bored as he!! tonight and there isn't much else being talked about on here. :grin:

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234