Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16
  1. #1
    Texas Viking's Avatar
    Texas Viking is offline Starter
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    204

    Ernie Nevers of the Duluth Eskimos question

    Greetings everyone, I’d like to post a question on here and hopefully one of you football gurus can help me out.


    One of my hobbies is customizing McFarlane figures into Viking members, but I wanted to do something different and make one of Ernie Nevers of the the Duluth Eskimos.
    My question is on their uniforms.
    Does anyone know if they wore numbers on their backs?

    I’ve done a lot of research and I see conflicting pictures that some of those old uniforms did have numbers, and some did not.
    If I can’t find out I’ll just leave it blank.
    But it sure would be helpful if anyone could let me know for sure if Ernie Nevers wore a number and what number it was.

    Thanks for the help…GO VIKES!



  2. #2
    Formo's Avatar
    Formo is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    2,664

    Re: Ernie Nevers of the Duluth Eskimos question

    Very nice man!

    I'll do some research, although it would help if I still lived up in the Twin Ports areas..
    I'll let you know what I find.

    Oh, there's something you have to do as well..
    That's pictures of the figurine when you're done.
    =)
    Vegans are eating the rainforests. =(

  3. #3
    Texas Viking's Avatar
    Texas Viking is offline Starter
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    204

    Re: Ernie Nevers of the Duluth Eskimos question

    Thanks for the help, appreciate it!
    I’d be happy to post him once he’s done, at least here people will appreciate who they are lol.
    Here’s a couple of my latest:

    [img width=450 height=722]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y230/darkeyes212/favre01.jpg[/img]

    [img width=450 height=433]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y230/darkeyes212/allen01.jpg[/img]

  4. #4
    Formo's Avatar
    Formo is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    2,664

    Re: Ernie Nevers of the Duluth Eskimos question

    "Texas" wrote:
    Thanks for the help, appreciate it!
    I’d be happy to post him once he’s done, at least here people will appreciate who they are lol.
    Here’s a couple of my latest:

    [img width=450 height=722]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y230/darkeyes212/favre01.jpg[/img]

    [img width=450 height=433]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y230/darkeyes212/allen01.jpg[/img]
    Those are awesome!
    How do you do the detail work?!
    Vegans are eating the rainforests. =(

  5. #5
    Garland Greene's Avatar
    Garland Greene is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    A, A
    Posts
    6,170

    Re: Ernie Nevers of the Duluth Eskimos question

    Have you tried contacting the library in Duluth? Or have you tried contacting the Duluth Historical Society? They could have the needed info or connect you with some who can. I am assuming you googled something as well. Butmake your searc very specific that can sometimes get you better results. I know there has to be a football history club or something ask them as well. As a wild shot check out the helmet depot on line i may need to check if that is the correct site it may also be the helmet project since it has been a while but they research helmets from the past and present. Yes they are helmets but they may also have info on uniforms or who to contact. Good luck!

  6. #6
    Texas Viking's Avatar
    Texas Viking is offline Starter
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    204

    Re: Ernie Nevers of the Duluth Eskimos question

    "Formo" wrote:
    "Texas" wrote:
    Thanks for the help, appreciate it!
    I’d be happy to post him once he’s done, at least here people will appreciate who they are lol.
    Here’s a couple of my latest:

    [img width=450 height=722]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y230/darkeyes212/favre01.jpg[/img]

    [img width=450 height=433]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y230/darkeyes212/allen01.jpg[/img]
    Those are awesome!
    How do you do the detail work?!
    All the paint work is brushed on and I make my own decals for the numbers and emblems.
    I’m still learning, but I’ve done 12 so far.
    Keeps me out of trouble.
    ;D

  7. #7
    Texas Viking's Avatar
    Texas Viking is offline Starter
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    204

    Re: Ernie Nevers of the Duluth Eskimos question

    "Garland" wrote:
    Have you tried contacting the library in Duluth? Or have you tried contacting the Duluth Historical Society? They could have the needed info or connect you with some who can. I am assuming you googled something as well. Butmake your searc very specific that can sometimes get you better results. I know there has to be a football history club or something ask them as well. As a wild shot check out the helmet depot on line i may need to check if that is the correct site it may also be the helmet project since it has been a while but they research helmets from the past and present. Yes they are helmets but they may also have info on uniforms or who to contact. Good luck!
    No, I haven’t tried the library or historical society.
    Maybe I can find their web address and shoot them an email.


    On this site:


    http://www.rci.rutgers.edu/~maxymuk/...ng/duluth.html

    …they list that he wore #4 and #44.
    But I think I also saw a shirt with #11 on it, so I’m confused which he wore or if they changed numbers periodically back then.


    And although I don’t have the book ‘Leatherheads of the North: The True Story of Ernie Nevers & the Duluth Eskimos’, the cover photo seems to indicate there were numbers on the back of the uniforms.


  8. #8
    Formo's Avatar
    Formo is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    2,664

    Re: Ernie Nevers of the Duluth Eskimos question

    "Texas" wrote:
    "Garland" wrote:
    Have you tried contacting the library in Duluth? Or have you tried contacting the Duluth Historical Society? They could have the needed info or connect you with some who can. I am assuming you googled something as well. Butmake your searc very specific that can sometimes get you better results. I know there has to be a football history club or something ask them as well. As a wild shot check out the helmet depot on line i may need to check if that is the correct site it may also be the helmet project since it has been a while but they research helmets from the past and present. Yes they are helmets but they may also have info on uniforms or who to contact. Good luck!
    No, I haven’t tried the library or historical society.
    Maybe I can find their web address and shoot them an email.


    On this site:


    http://www.rci.rutgers.edu/~maxymuk/...ng/duluth.html

    …they list that he wore #4 and #44.
    But I think I also saw a shirt with #11 on it, so I’m confused which he wore or if they changed numbers periodically back then.


    And although I don’t have the book ‘Leatherheads of the North: The True Story of Ernie Nevers & the Duluth Eskimos’, the cover photo seems to indicate there were numbers on the back of the uniforms.

    Yeah.. I just ran across it..
    http://www.x-communication.org/xcomm...therheads.html

    It most certainly looks like they had numbers.
    If I get a chance, I'll drop by a bookstore and see if they have it.
    I could scroll through quick-like and find out what number he wore.
    Vegans are eating the rainforests. =(

  9. #9
    Texas Viking's Avatar
    Texas Viking is offline Starter
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    204

    Re: Ernie Nevers of the Duluth Eskimos question

    Here are a couple other pieces of evidence I found.

    First, here’s a picture of someone’s Ernie Nevers collection, and they have a jersey that has #11 on the back.

    [img width=450 height=337]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y230/darkeyes212/eskimos01.jpg[/img]

    Also, here’s a utube of some supposedly lost Ernie Nevers footage which has been proven to be fake.
    But, in the footage Ernie’s jersey does not have a number on the back.

    Ernie Nevers Lost Footage

  10. #10
    Garland Greene's Avatar
    Garland Greene is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    A, A
    Posts
    6,170

    Re: Ernie Nevers of the Duluth Eskimos question

    "Formo" wrote:
    "Texas" wrote:
    "Garland" wrote:
    Have you tried contacting the library in Duluth? Or have you tried contacting the Duluth Historical Society? They could have the needed info or connect you with some who can. I am assuming you googled something as well. Butmake your searc very specific that can sometimes get you better results. I know there has to be a football history club or something ask them as well. As a wild shot check out the helmet depot on line i may need to check if that is the correct site it may also be the helmet project since it has been a while but they research helmets from the past and present. Yes they are helmets but they may also have info on uniforms or who to contact. Good luck!
    No, I haven’t tried the library or historical society.
    Maybe I can find their web address and shoot them an email.


    On this site:


    http://www.rci.rutgers.edu/~maxymuk/...ng/duluth.html

    …they list that he wore #4 and #44.
    But I think I also saw a shirt with #11 on it, so I’m confused which he wore or if they changed numbers periodically back then.


    And although I don’t have the book ‘Leatherheads of the North: The True Story of Ernie Nevers & the Duluth Eskimos’, the cover photo seems to indicate there were numbers on the back of the uniforms.

    Yeah.. I just ran across it..
    http://www.x-communication.org/xcomm...therheads.html

    It most certainly looks like they had numbers.
    If I get a chance, I'll drop by a bookstore and see if they have it.
    I could scroll through quick-like and find out what number he wore.
    Written by Duluth News Tribune columnist Chuck Frederick
    Since he wrote the book I would try to contact him. Or See if the Library has a copy of teh book. Or can they get a copy of it. Personally I think it would be a interesting read so buying a copy of the book may be worth it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. ERNIE SIMS Interview
    By Wiggles67 in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-24-2006, 07:27 PM
  2. Yessss!!!Mel Kiper said he thinks Vikes will pick Ernie Sims
    By Jordan in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 55
    Last Post: 04-13-2006, 12:46 AM
  3. YYYEEESSS!!! Vikings meet with Ernie Sims
    By Jordan in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 03-01-2006, 08:38 AM
  4. Fly High Duluth
    By DoubleDown11 in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-26-2006, 02:31 PM
  5. Ernie Sims
    By IbleedPURPLEandGOLD in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-11-2006, 06:18 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •