Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Emmitt Smith vs Barry Sanders

Just to add to the "Emmitt had a better team" discussion, I'm going to point out that Aikman and Irvin both played on the 1-15 Dallas team in 1989, Smith was drafted in 90.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Mr" wrote:
    Just to add to the "Emmitt had a better team" discussion, I'm going to point out that Aikman and Irvin both played on the 1-15 Dallas team in 1989, Smith was drafted in 90.
    But you do know that that was the beginning of the rebuilding of the Cowboys after Jerry Jones took over and that Jimmy Johnson intentionally sat players who were better than the ones that he was starting because they were Vikings players he got in the Walker trade and he wanted draft picks instead of those players don't you? The draft picks were conditional based on the time the players we sent there played. If Jimmy had played our former guys he would not have gotten many of those picks.

If I am not mistaken Emmitt was taken with one of the picks they got from us.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"midgensa" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    Barry would have went forward every play as well if he had the same line Dallas had.
    Besides, I think you answered your own question....

Do I think Barry was more talented. Absolutely. He clearly had as much talent as the most talented backs to have played the game. And he was special.
    I wonder how much drive and HEART Emmitt would have had behind the lines Sanders ran behind?
    Doesn't matter. He didn't run behind that line.
    So your saying that the OL doesn't matter?

I find it hard to believe that anyone would/could believe that any player would/couldn't be a better player with a better supporting cast.

If I searched your posts, would I find something along the lines of "QB X made his WR's/OL/RB better"?
    :
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"midgensa" wrote:
    Also ... the supporting cast argument is so lame and unfair to Smith. No player should be punished for playing with the players that are on his team.
    For the record:
    * In Sanders 10 seasons a member of that "awful" offensive line made the Pro Bowl every year except for his first and last (8 out of 10). In 1995, two players made it.
    * The "awful" team had 39 Pro Bowlers in those 10 seasons (about and average of 4!).
    * They lead the NFL in offense in 1995 and finished second in 1997. In scoring offense they were in the top 10 five different times.
    * He played with 9 1,000 yard receivers, including the Lions all-time leading receiver.
    * He compiled a 1-5 record in the playoffs, averaging a mere 64.3 yards a game and scoring only one touchdown.
    * He was never a solid receiver (but did play in an offense that allowed him to get some receiving yards in his career) and was always considered a sub-par blocker.

Barry Sanders: Spectacular, yes. One of the great, yes. Probably the most talented, yes. A winner, absolutely not.
    Punished, how the hell is he being punished?
    The fricken dude has SB rings and is in the HOF.
    This is exactly why discussions like this are lame.......

My previous question still stands........

If I searched your posts, would I find something along the lines of "QB X made his WR's/OL/RB better"?
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

vikesfan87 is offline Waterboy

"Mr" wrote:
    But, Dallas was a contender by 1991, incidentally when the Lions made it to the NFC Championship and got the $*$@ kicked out of them by the Redskins. It is argued that the 1992 Cowboys had the best offensive line in the history of football and many of those pieces were already in place by the time Emmitt arrived on the scene.

If I am not mistaken Emmitt was taken with one of the picks they got from us.
    Yep, draft picks from the Walker trade were also used to select Russell Maryland, Kevin Smith and Darren Woodson.

While it is true that Emmitt did have a great offensive line, I do feel
    some
    use that to completely marginalize his accomplishments. To hold the record for most rushing yards takes more than simply having an offensive line. However, if Barry hadn't retired after 1998 there is no doubt he'd have the record today.

But, it doesn't matter since AD will eclipse all of them ;D.

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"vikesfan87" wrote:
    Mostly, at this point, it doesn't matter because neither of them are as good as Payton or Brown.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

PackSux! is offline Hall of Famer

"Zeus" wrote:
    "vikesfan87" wrote:
    Mostly, at this point, it doesn't matter because neither of them are as good as Payton or Brown.

=Z=
    I dont know why people dont put Dickerson in any discussions.

But as many of said above, it wont matter because when Peterson is done nobody will remember the others.

vikesfan87 is offline Waterboy

"PackSux!" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "vikesfan87" wrote:

=Z=
    I dont know why people dont put Dickerson in any discussions.

But as many of said above, it wont matter because when Peterson is done nobody will remember the others.
    Funny about Dickerson, he never really played for a high-profile team, did he, I think his teams did make it to a few NFC Finals, but never further.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Mr" wrote:
    What a coincidence, wasn't 1989 the year of that great trade when we essentially handed the cowboys a dynasty?
    Seems familiar.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345