Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 49
  1. #21
    C Mac D's Avatar
    C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    13,468

    Re: Emmitt Smith vs Barry Sanders

    Glad to see Sanders dominating. Man, I miss his highlights.

    Wait... we have Peterson. Nice.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    1,072

    Re: Emmitt Smith vs Barry Sanders

    Individual talent...Barry.
    Team player and heart...Emmitt Smith.

    I was actually working in Dallas the week before he set the all time record against the Seahags.
    I changed my flight for Sunday evening so that I could go to the game.
    It was great!
    I got to see for myself what a dump Texan Stadium was, I got to see Emmitt break the all time record, AND I saw the Cowboys lose the game!
    I'd much rather see the Packers miss the playoffs because of their talent then because of their injuries.

  3. #23
    ejmat is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    8,849

    Re: Emmitt Smith vs Barry Sanders

    "midgensa" wrote:
    Also ... the supporting cast argument is so lame and unfair to Smith. No player should be punished for playing with the players that are on his team.
    For the record:
    * In Sanders 10 seasons a member of that "awful" offensive line made the Pro Bowl every year except for his first and last (8 out of 10). In 1995, two players made it.
    * The "awful" team had 39 Pro Bowlers in those 10 seasons (about and average of 4!).
    * They lead the NFL in offense in 1995 and finished second in 1997. In scoring offense they were in the top 10 five different times.
    * He played with 9 1,000 yard receivers, including the Lions all-time leading receiver.
    * He compiled a 1-5 record in the playoffs, averaging a mere 64.3 yards a game and scoring only one touchdown.
    * He was never a solid receiver (but did play in an offense that allowed him to get some receiving yards in his career) and was always considered a sub-par blocker.

    Barry Sanders: Spectacular, yes. One of the great, yes. Probably the most talented, yes. A winner, absolutely not.
    The issue with the Lions is they never really except for maybe 1 or 2 years had everything clicking at once.
    They may have had a good player here and there but not as a whole team.
    I don't know the stats you are bringing up and I won't challenge them.
    What I do know is I used to watch Sanders and Smith quite frequently. Sanders because I loved to watch him play and Smith because Dallas was always nationally televised.

    The Cowboys had a crap load of talent surrounding Smith.
    Sanders may have had one or two others every year.
    They never really had a decnet QB and Dallas had one of the best that ever played.
    Dallas also had Michael Irvin, Jay Novacheck, Moose Johnson and another very good WR that is escaping my mind right now.
    I would say the talent level was very much different surrounding the two players.

    When you talk about probowlers, how many were on offense and how many were on defense?
    One lineman only makes up 20% of the line.
    DId they have a QB, TE, how many WRs went to the probowl during Sanders' tenure?

  4. #24
    Yfz01 is offline Asst. Coach
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    606

    Re: Emmitt Smith vs Barry Sanders

    "ejmat" wrote:
    "midgensa" wrote:
    Also ... the supporting cast argument is so lame and unfair to Smith. No player should be punished for playing with the players that are on his team.
    For the record:
    * In Sanders 10 seasons a member of that "awful" offensive line made the Pro Bowl every year except for his first and last (8 out of 10). In 1995, two players made it.
    * The "awful" team had 39 Pro Bowlers in those 10 seasons (about and average of 4!).
    * They lead the NFL in offense in 1995 and finished second in 1997. In scoring offense they were in the top 10 five different times.
    * He played with 9 1,000 yard receivers, including the Lions all-time leading receiver.
    * He compiled a 1-5 record in the playoffs, averaging a mere 64.3 yards a game and scoring only one touchdown.
    * He was never a solid receiver (but did play in an offense that allowed him to get some receiving yards in his career) and was always considered a sub-par blocker.

    Barry Sanders: Spectacular, yes. One of the great, yes. Probably the most talented, yes. A winner, absolutely not.
    The issue with the Lions is they never really except for maybe 1 or 2 years had everything clicking at once.
    They may have had a good player here and there but not as a whole team.
    I don't know the stats you are bringing up and I won't challenge them.
    What I do know is I used to watch Sanders and Smith quite frequently. Sanders because I loved to watch him play and Smith because Dallas was always nationally televised.

    The Cowboys had a crap load of talent surrounding Smith.
    Sanders may have had one or two others every year.
    They never really had a decnet QB and Dallas had one of the best that ever played.
    Dallas also had Michael Irvin, Jay Novacheck, Moose Johnson and another very good WR that is escaping my mind right now.
    I would say the talent level was very much different surrounding the two players.

    When you talk about probowlers, how many were on offense and how many were on defense?
    One lineman only makes up 20% of the line.
    DId they have a QB, TE, how many WRs went to the probowl during Sanders' tenure?
    Herman Moore was always a really good player on that Detroit team.
    Him and Sanders made that offense fun to watch.
    Moore was also a great blocker downfield for Sanders.

    That being said... I think we can all remember playing the Lions with Sanders in the backfield.
    I used to get pissed that we couldn't stop the ONE GUY we were supposed to be stopping, Sanders.
    He would do things that seemed unreal... I was young at the time and I was never excited to play the Lions simply because I knew Sanders would make our team look silly.
    Now that I am older (and he's out of the league...) I can finally appreciate Sanders for what he was, the greatest player I've ever seen.

    "If he's not the best football player, the best runner the lord has ever made, the lord didn't make one"

  5. #25
    i_bleed_purple's Avatar
    i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Canadialand
    Posts
    16,777
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Emmitt Smith vs Barry Sanders

    Barry Sanders, hands down.

    I've had this argument with people before, and there's really no competition.

    Barry frequently had to avoid defenders in the backfield, before he even had a chance to get moving, which is why he has some of the most tackles for losses too.
    That is 100% due to playing on a terrible football team.
    Taking that into account, the fact he managed to average 6 yards a carry over his career is still remarkable.
    If given the carries and lenght of time that Smith played, while keeping that average, he would have shattered Smiths record.

    Most of the time, Emmitt could go 2-3 yards without even being touched.
    He played on a dynasty team, with multiple hall of famers.
    He was a part of that team, but wasn't the focus.
    A lot of runningbacks could have helped that team be the dynasty they were, Stick a guy like Sanders, or even Peterson for arguments sake, and I bet as long as they stayed healthy, they could put up comparable or better numbers.

    Smith IMO, is one of the more overrated backs.
    You won't find much support for him being the #1 all time outside of cowboys fans, or lions fans taht are bitter after Sanders retiring early.

  6. #26
    C Mac D's Avatar
    C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    13,468

    Re: Emmitt Smith vs Barry Sanders

    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    Barry Sanders, hands down.

    I've had this argument with people before, and there's really no competition.

    Barry frequently had to avoid defenders in the backfield, before he even had a chance to get moving, which is why he has some of the most tackles for losses too.
    That is 100% due to playing on a terrible football team.
    Taking that into account, the fact he managed to average 6 yards a carry over his career is still remarkable.
    If given the carries and lenght of time that Smith played, while keeping that average, he would have shattered Smiths record.

    Most of the time, Emmitt could go 2-3 yards without even being touched.
    He played on a dynasty team, with multiple hall of famers.
    He was a part of that team, but wasn't the focus.
    A lot of runningbacks could have helped that team be the dynasty they were, Stick a guy like Sanders, or even Peterson for arguments sake, and I bet as long as they stayed healthy, they could put up comparable or better numbers.

    Smith IMO, is one of the more overrated backs.
    You won't find much support for him being the #1 all time outside of cowboys fans, or lions fans that are bitter after Sanders retiring early.
    +1

    Can you imagine if Sanders had played for that Cowboys team? Wow...
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

  7. #27
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,601
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Emmitt Smith vs Barry Sanders

    Emmit Smith wins the Google Fight hands down...

    http://www.googlefight.com/index.php?lang=en_GB&word1=Barry+Sanders&word2=Emm itt+Smith
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  8. #28
    Mr Anderson's Avatar
    Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    7,692

    Re: Emmitt Smith vs Barry Sanders

    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    Emmit Smith wins the Google Fight hands down...

    http://www.googlefight.com/index.php?lang=en_GB&word1=Barry+Sanders&word2=Emm itt+Smith
    No he doesn't.

  9. #29
    Prophet's Avatar
    Prophet is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    17,388

    Re: Emmitt Smith vs Barry Sanders

    "Mr" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    Emmit Smith wins the Google Fight hands down...

    http://www.googlefight.com/index.php?lang=en_GB&word1=Barry+Sanders&word2=Emm itt+Smith
    No he doesn't.
    Looks like Barry is winning.
    That has to be accurate.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

  10. #30
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,601
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Emmitt Smith vs Barry Sanders

    "Mr" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    Emmit Smith wins the Google Fight hands down...

    http://www.googlefight.com/index.php?lang=en_GB&word1=Barry+Sanders&word2=Emm itt+Smith
    No he doesn't.
    LOL.
    You're right.
    Stupid IE8 screws up the CSS and it makes Emmitt's side larger.
    Good, I wanted Barry to win anyway.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Barry Sanders Jr.
    By VikingMike in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 12-16-2008, 01:21 AM
  2. Barry Sanders didn't want to be a leader
    By singersp in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-20-2008, 07:35 PM
  3. The "Barry Sanders" G!!!
    By cajunvike in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 82
    Last Post: 07-05-2006, 07:29 PM
  4. Barry Sanders
    By Bdubya in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-09-2004, 10:16 AM
  5. barry sanders
    By vegasvike in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-09-2004, 06:48 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •