Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Emmitt Smith needs to shut the hell up.

Irvin was not better than Cris or Anthony Carter. Let's throw in Ahmad Rashad and Sammy White. Not to mention Gilliam from back in the 70s.

No disrespect to Irvin. He was a good player. As much as I hate to admit it Emmitt was too. However, they were good players on a great team whcih made them better. That's like comparing Scottie Pippen. A good player that was a great player with Michael Jordan, Horace Grant, Bill Cartwright, etc....

Emmitt would have never had the numbers he had if he ran behind Detroits line all those years. Sorry but IMO Barry Sanders was heads above Emmitt Smith. Barry was just plain awesome to do what he did with the teams he was on. I do not think Emmitt Smith was that tough. Did you ever notice that anytime the Cowboys were in trouble of losing a game he went down. He left games when there was a chance of losing. Bottom line is he has the most yardage of anyone all time. Great feat. However, if Sanders would have played as many years as he, who do you think would have the record? That was with no help from his teammates.

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

"ndakvikefan" wrote:
    Marving Harrison, Art Monk, Randy Moss, Terrell Owens, Jimmy Smith, Rod Smith, and Isaac Bruce all have better numbers than him and six of them are still playing.
    This is probably what Emmitt (and Irvin) is afraid of. Carter will be eligable soon and that should knock Irvin off a year. Irvin probably gets in. I am sure he is not the only guy like that, that scoots by because of a great team.

Irvin was a good reciever but nothing that the Hall should consider. He however thinks he was the greatest, but he is dilusional. As for Emmitt, he was a great back but had alot of help and I agree he wasn't a tough back. Barry was and is the All time best to ever lace up the cleets and had he continued to play Emmitt would never had a chance at the rushing title.

shockzilla is offline PPO Ambassador
    Blog Entries

Michael Irvin was THE MOST OVERRATED WR in history, INCLUDING Meshawn Johnson, IMHO....
    PPO Ambassador, Defender of the Purple Faith and Guardian of the Gates of Valhalla

"jackyl" wrote:
    Irvin was a better wideout than anyone the Vikings have had at that postion, 'cept for Randy.
    Wrong.

Total Stats:

Cris Carter
    Games - 234
    Receptions - 1101
    Yards - 13899
    Yards per Rec. - 12.6
    TD - 130
    Pro Bowls - 8

Michael Irvin
    Games - 159
    Receptions - 750
    Yards - 11904
    Yards per Rec. - 15.9
    TD - 65
    Pro Bowls - 5
    Skol!
    Go Vikings!

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

"jackyl" wrote:
    Irvin was a better wideout than anyone the Vikings have had at that postion, 'cept for Randy.
    Would not expect anything less from a Cowboy fan.

Put Carter on the Cowboys with that team and he would be twice as productive as Irvin minus the coke!

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

Sorry but Emmitt is one of the best RBs in history, no way in hell is he overrated. I am sick of everyone saying all you need is a good line and anyone you put back there will be a superstar. A good line doesn't make a hall of famer. Sure a good line can make a huge difference, but a RB can often make an average line look awesome, by finding other holes when the blocking isn't there.

I have to say that Irvin isn't my favorite player or person, but he has been as good as a receiver as many that are already in the Hall of Fame, Like Lynn Swann and John Stallworth.

All those receivers that were quoted earlier (Harrison, Moss, Bruce, Holt, J.Smith etc.) will all be in the Hall of Fame when they stop playing.

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

canadian_vikes_fan is offline Hall of Famer

"ItalianStallion" wrote:
    Sorry but Emmitt is one of the best RBs in history, no way in hell is he overrated. I am sick of everyone saying all you need is a good line and anyone you put back there will be a superstar. A good line doesn't make a hall of famer. Sure a good line can make a huge difference, but a RB can often make an average line look awesome, by finding other holes when the blocking isn't there.

I have to say that Irvin isn't my favorite player or person, but he has been as good as a receiver as many that are already in the Hall of Fame, Like Lynn Swann and John Stallworth.

All those receivers that were quoted earlier (Harrison, Moss, Bruce, Holt, J.Smith etc.) will all be in the Hall of Fame when they stop playing.
    I don't think people were really saying that he wasn't a good running back (if the were saying that, I strongly disagree with them). I think people were suggesting that the media portrays him as better than he actually is. Lots of times I've heard people calling him the best RB of all time, when I don't think thats true at all. Barry Sanders and Walter Payton were in another league, but Emmitt was top 5 alltime.

Hence he deserves the Hall-of-Fame nod clearly.

Thanks PPE for the sig.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Irvin does NOT deserve to be first-ballot HOF'er, he should have to wait AT LEAST as long as Art Monk has...and that is besides the fact that Monk was way better than Irvin...and has as many Super Bowl rings as Irvin has!!!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

"ultravikingfan" wrote:
    "jackyl" wrote:
    Would not expect anything less from a Cowboy fan.

Put Carter on the Cowboys with that team and he would be twice as productive as Irvin minus the coke!
    Wait, Jackyl is a 'Boys fan?

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast