Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Re: Elimination of the force out rule!

"V" wrote:
    We wonder why the are no shutdown corners in the league anymore. It's because of rules like this.

The rule was made in the first place to make it easier on offenses. Those who think sideline routes would be impossible without this rule are full of crap IMO.

You really think watching a referee make a judgment call is more exciting than a DB making a hit on the sideline? Plays where the force-out rule are enforced are run-of the mill, yawn inducing out routes. They need contact to draw interest.

That is also why making it challengeable is not the solution. Hey, I know! Let's stop the game for 5 minutes to decide whether he would have come down in bounds, even though a little thing called reality shows that he didn't. No matter how many times you watch the replay, in every angle, he'll land out of bounds. Ugh.

In its simplest form, this rule prevents a defender from doing his job. There are other rules that do this (offensive holding for example), but the difference here is that sideline receptions will still happen without this rule (if holding were made legal, there would be extremely few QB sacks). The rule was originally enforced to "fix" something that was never broken.
    Um, the receiver does get hit on those plays. Thus the term "Force Out".

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Vikes is offline Team Alumni

Get rid of the rule. The good QB's and WR's don't have that problem.

The rigors of Spartan life. Leonidas is cast out into the wild, and survives the harsh winter to return to his home, when he is crowned King ....a Viking!

BBQ Platypus is offline Team Alumni

"V" wrote:
    We wonder why the are no shutdown corners in the league anymore. It's because of rules like this.
    Wasn't Deion Sanders in the league at the time this rule was implemented?

"V" wrote:
    The rule was made in the first place to make it easier on offenses. Those who think sideline routes would be impossible without this rule are full of crap IMO.
    I agree that it makes things easier for the offense.
    I think this is a good thing (though I never said sideline routes would be impossible without this rule).

"V" wrote:
    You really think watching a referee make a judgment call is more exciting than a DB making a hit on the sideline? Plays where the force-out rule are enforced are run-of the mill, yawn inducing out routes. They need contact to draw interest.

That is also why making it challengeable is not the solution. Hey, I know! Let's stop the game for 5 minutes to decide whether he would have come down in bounds, even though a little thing called reality shows that he didn't. No matter how many times you watch the replay, in every angle, he'll land out of bounds. Ugh.

In its simplest form, this rule prevents a defender from doing his job. There are other rules that do this (offensive holding for example), but the difference here is that sideline receptions will still happen without this rule (if holding were made legal, there would be extremely few QB sacks). The rule was originally enforced to "fix" something that was never broken.
    The force-out rule does not "prevent" the defender from doing anything.
    He is still entitled to deliver the hit in midair.
    He is still allowed to try to knock the ball loose.
    He still has a responsibility to tackle the receiver.
    If anything, the force-out rule provides an incentive for the defender to hit the receiver harder.

Basketball has a force-out rule, by the way.
    Presumably you're against that, too.
    After all, NBA players have enough trouble playing defense.
    I'd hate to think you were inconsistent in the way you applied standards of fairness.

"This is my timey-wimey detector. It goes ding when there's stuff."

MetalMike-LoudVike is offline Hall of Famer

well this will be fun to watch and see how this new "change" effects things.
    IN THE PITS ON THE RIVER BEDS EVRY VIKING FAN WILL RISE & VAHALLA SHALL REJOICE WITH THE MOST GLORIOUS PRIZE LOMBARDI'S TROPHY

happy camper is offline Team Alumni

"BBQ" wrote:
    "V" wrote:

"V" wrote:
    I think this is a good thing (though I never said sideline routes would be impossible without this rule).

"V" wrote:

If anything, the force-out rule provides an incentive for the defender to hit the receiver harder.

I'd hate to think you were inconsistent in the way you applied standards of fairness.
    Gee, well if another league has a force out rule then I guess it is good for the NFL too.
    :
    "There is good and there is evil. And evil must be punished. Even in the face of Armageddon I will not compromise."

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

"happy" wrote:
    "BBQ" wrote:
    "V" wrote:

"V" wrote:

"V" wrote:

Gee, well if another league has a force out rule then I guess it is good for the NFL too.
    :
    Different league, hell he's talking about a whole different sport. Maybe they should call traveling too. ;D

New rule for the NFL:

If a Defensive Back bats a ball down in the endzone it will be ruled goal tending. 15 yard penalty- replay down.
    "There is good and there is evil. And evil must be punished. Even in the face of Armageddon I will not compromise."

jessejames09 is offline Ring of Fame

"BBQ" wrote:
    "V" wrote:

"V" wrote:

"V" wrote:

If a player looks as though he will land out of bounds, the DB could and should, shy away from the hit and let him come down out of bounds. Because if he hits that guy in mid-air and the ref thinks he was gonna make it in bounds, it's fair game.

The defensive player shouldn't have to worry about whether the player will land in bounds or not. They should be able wallop that guy if hes making a catch on the sidelines.

"jessejames09" wrote:
    The defensive player shouldn't have to worry about whether the player will land in bounds or not. They should be able wallop that guy if hes making a catch on the sidelines.
    Truth.

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

New Rule for the NFL:

If a Defender hits the Quarterback as he is throwing the ball, it is a throwing penalty and the QB gets two free throws to his receivers. Everyone other than the QB and his receivers must stand outside the hashmarks until the ball is touched by a WR.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast