Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Edge.James ready to move on

I think Wilf believes it is a possibility to get James. Wilf is the one that was stating that he may take a run at SA. SA will be a hell of alot more expensive that James. We have alot of options this offseason. There will be alot of talent left in FA at RB.

josdin00 is offline Ring of Fame

"Vikez4Lyfe" wrote:
    What's odd about that? Our D was playing VERY good.. And doesnt need many changes..

Our Offense had trouble moving the ball and couldn't get any 3rd downs.. Not many points either
    I'm not disagreeing with you. I just meant that for years the offense was the solid side of the ball, and we didn't have a defense to speak of.

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

"mnvikes61" wrote:
    Many people have said it and I'll say again, without a line it doesn't matter who we plug into RB position it won't be much better than last year. We need to focus on the o-line and then look at the talent pool that is left after all the superstar money grubbing backs are gone and see if any of them would fit the scheme better than the backs that we have.
    I wonder what the ratio is for the "Edge" running on the edge instead of running inside. It always seems to me that when ever I see him run, it is that silly play where Manning is sprinting out to the edge to get him the ball. Sometimes he would cut back through the line but I just don't recall him being an inside runner. I haven't seen them play much so it could just be me.

As far as the line, I think we are all assuming that our staff knows we need to change up front whether it is players or just changing their attitudes. I think we just have to assume that they will fix it.

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

I gotcha Jos! Yah that is odd..

People are saying he wouldn't do much better then anyone we got with the line we have.. Well he would.. LT still puts up numbers with a crappy line.. He is a very good back and doesn't need a very great line..

Our line will be improves this year anyway with Birk coming back and MJ having a year of experience under his belt

michaelmazid is offline Team Alumni

E. James has said over and over again that he aint' playing for a cold weather team so even if we can match all the offers, I doubt he would come to Minny. I do see him going to Jacksonville.

V4L

Yah it's extrememly doubtful it would happen.. We can wish though! I've seen weirder things happen

V4L

I think he would play here though.. It's indoors.. And If Wilf wanted him im sure he would do all he can to get him here and our bid people..

However it's really not gonna happen.. Wilf said he was too much for what he wants.

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

Edge will probably get payed less than Shaun Alexander, but he is probably a better fit for this team. I think he is a much better pass catcher than Shaun (although Shaun is not bad persay).

Edge can do it all, and backs like that are hard to find. God knows that we haven't had a full time back like him in forever.

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

mnjamie is offline Ring of Fame

Edge comes Cheap ??

Ok, I looked around and didn't see anything relavent to place this ... so here it is for you Edge lovers out there, updated info from today:

EDGE OUT IN INDY?

Colts running back Edgerrin James think he has taken his last rep as the starting tailback of the defending AFC South champs.

"I don't see nothing happening,' James told The Indianapolis Star. "You can read between the lines and from the things I'm hearing, nothing's going to happen.

"And that's crazy, man. I'm part of the solution, I'm not part of the problem. Crazy, man.'

James is scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent in March. A year ago, the team slapped the franchise tag on him after his rookie contract expired. He signed the $8.081 million, one-year tender not long thereafter, because (as we heard as the time) he was concerned that the team was ready to revoke it. Thereafter, there were rumors that the Colts would accept as little as a third-round draft pick in exchange for James' services.

Per the CBA, using the franchise tag again on James would require a tender equal to 120 percent of his 2005 salary, which would be $9.7 million in real dollars and in 2006 cap room. If that kind of an offer hit the table, James undoubtedly would sign it in a heartbeat.

Why? Because the free agent market for running backs, well, sucks. The guys drafted at the top of the first round last year (Ronnie Brown, Cedric Benson, Cadillac Williams) generally did better than the guys who already had proven that they can moves the chains at the pro level (Rudi Johnson, LaMont Jordan).

The problem is that running backs absorb plenty of physical abuse. As they move past their 25th birthdays, the chances of ineffectiveness due to chronic injury increase. Then there's the constant threat of an ACL tear or some other devastating injury that leaves the guy potentially ineffective for years.

That's why James and NFL MVP Shaun Alexander don't have long-term deals. Both guys have inflated perceptions of their worth. And both will need to spend some time on the open market in order to realize that, despite the glory they enjoy between the white lines, the really money simply is no longer there for the players who run the ball.

"Maybe I'll get to a situation where somebody appreciates me,' James said.

But "appreciation" is irrelevant. The issue is how much a team can and will devote to the position of starting tailback under the salary cap, in light of the reality that there are plenty of guys hitting the draft every year who have the athletic ability to get the job done. Though the Colts need to keep in mind their won-loss record while James was out with a knee injury in 2001, the thinking apparently is that they can go young at the position via a first-day draft pick -- saving millions of dollars under the cap, which of course otherwise will end up in Peyton Manning's pockets.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

Re: Edge comes Cheap ??

http://www.purplepride.org/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=18539

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast