Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Early report: Daunte `elite'

Posted on Fri, May. 26, 2006

[size=18px]Early report: Daunte `elite'[/size]

After only two weeks with Daunte Culpepper, Dolphins receiver Chris Chambers, among others, said the QB is 'right up there' with the best.

BY JEFF SHAIN
    jshain@MiamiHerald.com

For Chris Chambers, one of the fringe benefits of being named to last season's Pro Bowl was the chance to spend a week catching passes from Peyton Manning.

'Right then and there, I knew there was a difference between some of the quarterbacks we've had before and the ones at the elite level,' the Dolphins' top wideout said Thursday.

That knowledge tucked away, Chambers happily is getting the same vibe from his first two weeks of working with Daunte Culpepper.

'He's right up there with them,' Chambers said.

``Even from just doing routes out there, you can tell it's a different type of ball. He knows when to throw it hard, he knows when to put touch on it. And right now he's just feeling out what we as receivers can do.'

Though it's still iffy whether Culpepper's surgically rebuilt knee will be ready by September, teammates haven't exactly been cautious in their enthusiasm.

And not just those on offense.

'He's still got the deep ball,' linebacker Zach Thomas said. ``He hit us [Thursday] on a deep ball.'

Allow Chambers to pick up the narrative from there:

'He threw a ball I thought was never going to come out of the air,' the receiver said. ``I just kept running, and it was right on the money. It felt good to get that kind of connection with him early on.'

Coach Nick Saban would be the first to caution that this was simply a May passing drill without pads. But Thursday's reports build on Saban's hint one day earlier that Culpepper is ahead of schedule in his rehabilitation.

Nine weeks remain before training camp commences July 28. The Dolphins open the season Sept. 7 at Pittsburgh.

'He's looking good and sharp to me now,' Chambers said. ``How many months do we have -- two, three months? I think there would be a great chance that he'd be out there.'

Culpepper earned three Pro Bowl selections while in Minnesota, but went through a trying season last year that came to an abrupt end when he was injured Oct. 30.

The Vikings let him go for a second-round draft choice, and Chambers suggested that has been as much a motivator for his new teammate as the injury comeback.

'Back before we actually got him,' Chambers said, ``I spoke with him, and you could kind of sense the chip he had on his shoulder about coming out here and proving to everybody he can come out and play at the elite level he had a couple years ago.'

After seeing Culpepper's 6-4, 265-pound frame moving around in drills, Thomas is glad he won't have to try and tackle him in a game situation.

'He's the first quarterback I would ever hit low,' Thomas said, ``because he outweighs me by 40 pounds.'

THROW HIM A BONE

Though fullback Fred Beasley understands his role is to be Ronnie Brown's lead blocker, the former 49er also hopes offensive coordinator Mike Mularkey doesn't forget his worth as a receiver.

'I like blocking -- don't get me wrong, that's my M.O.,' he said. ``But there's nothing wrong with a little bone every so often.'

When Steve Mariucci coached the 49ers, Beasley had three seasons of at least 22 receptions. A shift to a one-back attack under Dennis Erickson cut into his time, and he had only two catches in 2005.

NO GUARANTEE

Chambers tried to downplay any fallout from bold words he made at the team awards banquet two months ago.

Noting next February's Super Bowl will be in South Florida, he told banquet attendees that ``I'll be damned if we're not the ones playing in our own stadium.'

'It really wasn't a guarantee,' he said Thursday. ``I was just feeling the moment right then. It felt like a pep rally, so I wanted to get them up a little bit. . . . It was for the fans.'

• Brock Berlin is back from NFL Europe, adding to the glut of quarterbacks taking part in team drills. The former UM passer made six starts for the Hamburg Sea Devils, throwing for 1,041 yards and seven TDs.

Early report: Daunte `elite'

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Benet is offline Star Spokesman

Re: Early report: Daunte `elite'

I'd be worried if the Dolphins players and coaches came out and said "Daunte sucks" and "He'll never be ready for opening day".

Hardly like an NFL team to spread propaganda during the offseason, is it?! :roll:

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"Benet" wrote:
    I'd be worried if the Dolphins players and coaches came out and said "Daunte sucks" and "He'll never be ready for opening day".

Hardly like an NFL team to spread propaganda during the offseason, is it?! :roll:
    If it was the entire team & coaches saying it, I might tend to agree with you, but this is one WR in particular & I trust his comments are valid.

I for one never doubted Dante's ability to throw the ball.

His problem has been reading defenses.

I imagine if Daunte does well this year, the "Chambers made Culpepper" threads/posts will be flourishing.

It's odd how if another team taughts one of their players/team it's deemed as propaganda, but if it's about the Vikings it's not. :wink:

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

He looked sharp at training camp, preseason and the rest of the off season, and what happend? He SUCKED last year! You just never know. We all know he can throw the deep ball....but is he a team leader..? We all know he can rack up stats, but can he get his team wins also?

You just never know with him....

Prophet Guest

...For Chris Chambers, one of the fringe benefits of being named to last season's Pro Bowl was the chance to spend a week catching passes from Peyton Manning.

'Right then and there, I knew there was a difference between some of the quarterbacks we've had before and the ones at the elite level,' the Dolphins' top wideout said Thursday.

That knowledge tucked away, Chambers happily is getting the same vibe from his first two weeks of working with Daunte Culpepper.

'He's right up there with them,' Chambers said...
    Since Chambers came in the league the Fins had the following QBs:

2005: Gus Frerotte, Sage Rosenfels
    2004: A.J. Feeley, Jay Fiedler, Sage Rosenfels
    2003: Jay Fiedler, Brian Griese, Sage Rosenfels
    2002: Jay Fiedler, Ray Lucas, Sage Rosenfels
    2001: Jay Fiedler, Ray Lucas

I bet it is a treat to have Culpepper passing to him after enduring that cast of characters. It's all a relative scale. I would go as far as saying Sage Rosenfels has the best pass touch out of the QBs playing for the Fins since Chambers came into the league. No wonder Daunte looks like a hero to him.

=========================================
    =========================================

A few excerpts from KFFL

Dolphins | Thomas excited to have Culpepper
    Fri, 26 May 2006 05:15:46 -0700

The South Florida Sun-Sentinel reports Miami Dolphins LB Zach Thomas (shoulder) believes acquiring QB Daunte Culpepper was big for the team. "He's a great athlete," Thomas said. "He's looked great in practice. And he's still got the deep ball. He hit us today on a deep ball. He was scrambling today. I looked at him when I came up to make the tackle. I wasn't going to tackle him because we don't have pads. But he's the first quarterback I would ever hit low because he outweighs me by 40 pounds."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dolphins | Chambers happy to have Culpepper
    Thu, 25 May 2006 20:21:22 -0700

Jeff Shain, of the Miami Herald, reports Miami Dolphins WR Chris Chambers has seen enough from passing drills to gush over the offseason's most high-profile acquisition, QB Daunte Culpepper (knee). 'His arm strength is unbelievable, and he puts the ball right on the money,' Chambers said Thursday afternoon, May 25, while meeting with reporters. His comments fall in line with head coach Nick Saban's assessment on Wednesday, May 24,when he said Culpepper has done 'more than we ever thought he could at this time' in coming back from a serious knee injury. Culpepper has taken part in all of the Dolphins' organized team activities for the past two weeks. Officials remain guarded, though, about whether he can be ready for the Sept. 7 opener at Pittsburgh.

Redmption is offline Pro-Bowler

never should have traded him... Almost the whole offseason has been controversy for the team... Even the good stuff like getting Hutchinson. We would have seen the Pep of 2004 behind this O-Line and we will but he'll be playing in Miami. On to the Travaris Jackson Era!!

Benet is offline Star Spokesman

"singersp" wrote:
    If it was the entire team & coaches saying it, I might tend to agree with you, but this is one WR in particular & I trust his comments are valid.

I for one never doubted Dante's ability to throw the ball.

His problem has been reading defenses.

I imagine if Daunte does well this year, the "Chambers made Culpepper" threads/posts will be flourishing.

It's odd how if another team taughts one of their players/team it's deemed as propaganda, but if it's about the Vikings it's not. :wink:
    To defend myself here, I didn't say the Vikings reports AREN'T propaganda.. Of course they are! If you check out almost all my posts in response to the articles you have, so kindly I must add, posted here on PPO you'll find I usually say something along the lines of "Let's wait and see" or "We'll find out at Training Camp". I've learned not to trust any of the reports that circulate at this time of year, because it's all entirely speculative.

Back to Chambers, and I have no reason to doubt his comments, but it's still VERY early days with regards to Culpepper's rehabilitation.

Everything else you note, I agree with. It's also another reason I doubt the validity of Chambers's comments. Mini-camps don't prove how good a player is. Until the Dolphins put Daunte in a game situation, and he has to face the Patriots, his performances for the Dolphins can't be accurately measured relative to his ability.

sodaknick is offline Starter

"Redmption" wrote:
    never should have traded him... Almost the whole offseason has been controversy for the team... Even the good stuff like getting Hutchinson. We would have seen the Pep of 2004 behind this O-Line and we will but he'll be playing in Miami. On to the Travaris Jackson Era!!
    I can't imagine the controversy if we hadn't traded him. I like Daunte, he has all the skills in the world, but he is not a winner. Give me a guy like Brad Johnson who can't throw the ball 90 yards, but knows how to win over someone who simply has skills.

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

ukeright:

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

What does Chris Chambers know, he went to Wisconsin!! lol

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast