Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 31
  1. #21
    BloodyHorns82's Avatar
    BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    9,691

    Re: Eagles make offer for Larry Fitzgerald

    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    The Front office payed Wade and Shiancoe a pretty hefty sum of cash, and neither of those are impact players.
    I will never take the amount a player makes in Free Agency as a sign of their level of talent, since every year, lesser players get paid more than established players do who were unfortunate to sign their contract a few years prior.
    Wade was arguably our most productive receiver last year.
    Hnd should have increased production with Berrian on the team, as he can focus on acting as the slot guy which is where he excels.


    Shank was a huge disapointment though for the money he is making.

  2. #22
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,935

    Re: Eagles make offer for Larry Fitzgerald

    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    An impact player would be a player who could singlehandedly make a difference on thier defense.
    Williams sounds like a good solid player, but not an impact player.
    He's racked up a great number of tackles, and an alright number of interceptions.
    He is good, no doubt about that, but we don't know that he will be an impact player on our defense.
    I hope he turns out well, and think he should, but we simply don't know.

    To me, an impact player is one who has already made a name for himself around the NFL.
    one that coordinators must take into account when making their gameplan.
    That doesn't nesecarily mean they need to gameplan around him (ie. AD, Vick, Manning)
    but they need to take into account thier existance and pick plays that will try to catch him out of position.

    To me, already labeling Williams as an impact player is the same as labeling Greenway as an impact player.
    Both are young, and have the skills to be great, but haven't quite taken that one step yet.
    All good stuff, however, our Defense is built to rely on a team effort and not one guy running around out there making plays.

    Williams will provide a significant contribution to that team effort and that, to me, equates to impact and that will further equate to defensive coordinators worrying about all aspects/facets of our defense and not just one player.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  3. #23
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,935

    Re: Eagles make offer for Larry Fitzgerald

    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    The Front office payed Wade and Shiancoe a pretty hefty sum of cash, and neither of those are impact players.
    I will never take the amount a player makes in Free Agency as a sign of their level of talent, since every year, lesser players get paid more than established players do who were unfortunate to sign their contract a few years prior.
    Wade was arguably our most productive receiver last year.
    Hnd should have increased production with Berrian on the team, as he can focus on acting as the slot guy which is where he excels.


    Shank was a huge disapointment though for the money he is making.
    I hear ya my friend, however, I look at Shanc in a different manner.

    He was brought in to be a everydown (Block and catch) TE.
    We saw alot of his blocking abilities last year mostly because of the maturation of the offense.


    I suspect that as the QB, OL, and the rest of the Offense matures over the offseason, we will see all facets (to include TE's running routes and catching balls) come to fruition.

    All pieces to the puzzle my friend. With the addition of Berrian and some offseason film study we should see the puzzle come together a bit more this year, to include Shanc earning his money.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  4. #24
    seaniemck7's Avatar
    seaniemck7 is offline Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Posts
    1,453

    Re: Eagles make offer for Larry Fitzgerald

    "olson_10" wrote:
    id only be upset if the eagles find a way to get him for what could be called a fair deal
    What in the world would be fair?
    The Cards are the retards that put escalators in Fitz' contract so that is SALARY is $14M this year and $17M next year.
    That is $31M dollars guaranteed over the next 2 years which is REDICULOUS.
    In 2009, if the Cards franchise him, it will cost them about $20M dollars for one year. LOL talk about shooting yourself in the foot.
    Please tell me who in the NFL gets paid $20M a year?

    The bottom line is, if you are gonna take on Fitz' contract, you immedialy assume that 2year, $30M contract.
    Then you have to negotiate an extension to the contract or suffer losing him to FA.
    That's a hefty load to pay.
    I dont think Brzezinski would want to deal with that crap.

    Now, Florio at PFT.com has speculated that the Iggles are already assuming an uncapped year in 2010, so maybe that is their strat with the Fitz trade...

  5. #25
    Zeus's Avatar
    Zeus is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Minnesota.
    Posts
    23,937

    Re: Eagles make offer for Larry Fitzgerald

    "seaniemck7" wrote:
    "olson_10" wrote:
    id only be upset if the eagles find a way to get him for what could be called a fair deal
    What in the world would be fair?
    The Cards are the retards that put escalators in Fitz' contract so that is SALARY is $14M this year and $17M next year.
    That is $31M dollars guaranteed over the next 2 years which is REDICULOUS.
    In 2009, if the Cards franchise him, it will cost them about $20M dollars for one year. LOL talk about shooting yourself in the foot.
    Please tell me who in the NFL gets paid $20M a year?
    And every agent who has a big-time WR who's going to be a FA in the next couple years wants Fitzgerald to stay right where he is, getting those big bucks.
    Pops the Franchise/Transition #s for WRs up quite a bit.

    =Z=

    Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

  6. #26
    grpape is offline Asst. Coach
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    541

    Re: Eagles make offer for Larry Fitzgerald

    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "jessejames09" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    Well I'm still waiting for us to sign those 3 impact players.
    But since thats not oging to happen any time soon, we might as well at least give an offer to AZ.
    IF they laugh in our faces, then so be it, but its better than sitting there with our thumbs up our dimply buttocks as we watch key players go to new teams.
    Yeah we only signed 2 $40 million contracts last week. I'd be surprised if our FO did anything
    Ok, we did pay alot for those guys, but would you call them impact players? have they been vital for the success of their previous teams??
    not really.
    MABYE Berrian, but Williams is pretty much unknown at this point.
    I'm hoping he turns into the star that the FO obviously thinks he's capable of, but he also might not.
    So far the only "impact player" we've signed in the past few years is Hutch.
    The rest are alright players, who were put in a good situation and started to produce (ie. Chester Taylor)
    Who cares what they did for their other teams. The biggest factor is how they make OUR team better. Let's use the (oh my god I'm gonna say it) Moss scenario. Look what happened there. He did great on our team. Raiders signed him thinking the way you are. It didn't work out, however, because of their surrounding cast. It made a great player give up and not care about the game.
    Chester Taylor may be an alright player to you, but to this team he is vital. I don't think you really appriciate what he brings to the table. Hutch is a beast, but he can only do so much for the OL. I for one would love to sign these all right players, and then have them turn into a Chester Taylor. It will help the team become a winner for years. If you sign some one like Fitz, you have a superstar, but, how good is that superstar without a supporting cast?

  7. #27
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,271

    Re: Eagles make offer for Larry Fitzgerald

    "grpape" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "jessejames09" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    Well I'm still waiting for us to sign those 3 impact players.
    But since thats not oging to happen any time soon, we might as well at least give an offer to AZ.
    IF they laugh in our faces, then so be it, but its better than sitting there with our thumbs up our dimply buttocks as we watch key players go to new teams.
    Yeah we only signed 2 $40 million contracts last week. I'd be surprised if our FO did anything
    Ok, we did pay alot for those guys, but would you call them impact players? have they been vital for the success of their previous teams??
    not really.
    MABYE Berrian, but Williams is pretty much unknown at this point.
    I'm hoping he turns into the star that the FO obviously thinks he's capable of, but he also might not.
    So far the only "impact player" we've signed in the past few years is Hutch.
    The rest are alright players, who were put in a good situation and started to produce (ie. Chester Taylor)
    Who cares what they did for their other teams. The biggest factor is how they make OUR team better. Let's use the (oh my god I'm gonna say it) Moss scenario. Look what happened there. He did great on our team. Raiders signed him thinking the way you are. It didn't work out, however, because of their surrounding cast. It made a great player give up and not care about the game.
    Chester Taylor may be an alright player to you, but to this team he is vital. I don't think you really appriciate what he brings to the table. Hutch is a beast, but he can only do so much for the OL. I for one would love to sign these all right players, and then have them turn into a Chester Taylor. It will help the team become a winner for years. If you sign some one like Fitz, you have a superstar, but, how good is that superstar without a supporting cast?
    No, the team didn't make Moss give up, Moss made himself give up. Ergo, the attitude problem with him.

    There are great players on mediocre to poor teams that still go out & give 110% to their teams no matter how good or bad their team is doing.

    Moss is not one of those players. If he's winning & on a winning team he is happy. If he is on a losing team he gives less than 100%, takes plays off & complains.

    We saw it here, they saw it in Oakland. That is why the Pats got him for a mere 4th round pick & only 3-4 teams out of 32 wanted anything to do with him. But people will still profess they know better than the personnel in the front offices of 28 NFL teams.

    The Patriots were a good fit. Had he gone to a sub 500 team, you would have seen the same old Moss there as you did in Oakland.

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  8. #28
    grpape is offline Asst. Coach
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    541

    Re: Eagles make offer for Larry Fitzgerald

    "singersp" wrote:
    "grpape" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "jessejames09" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    Well I'm still waiting for us to sign those 3 impact players.
    But since thats not oging to happen any time soon, we might as well at least give an offer to AZ.
    IF they laugh in our faces, then so be it, but its better than sitting there with our thumbs up our dimply buttocks as we watch key players go to new teams.
    Yeah we only signed 2 $40 million contracts last week. I'd be surprised if our FO did anything
    Ok, we did pay alot for those guys, but would you call them impact players? have they been vital for the success of their previous teams??
    not really.
    MABYE Berrian, but Williams is pretty much unknown at this point.
    I'm hoping he turns into the star that the FO obviously thinks he's capable of, but he also might not.
    So far the only "impact player" we've signed in the past few years is Hutch.
    The rest are alright players, who were put in a good situation and started to produce (ie. Chester Taylor)
    Who cares what they did for their other teams. The biggest factor is how they make OUR team better. Let's use the (oh my god I'm gonna say it) Moss scenario. Look what happened there. He did great on our team. Raiders signed him thinking the way you are. It didn't work out, however, because of their surrounding cast. It made a great player give up and not care about the game.
    Chester Taylor may be an alright player to you, but to this team he is vital. I don't think you really appriciate what he brings to the table. Hutch is a beast, but he can only do so much for the OL. I for one would love to sign these all right players, and then have them turn into a Chester Taylor. It will help the team become a winner for years. If you sign some one like Fitz, you have a superstar, but, how good is that superstar without a supporting cast?
    No, the team didn't make Moss give up, Moss made himself give up. Ergo, the attitude problem with him.

    There are great players on mediocre to poor teams that still go out & give 110% to their teams no matter how good or bad their team is doing.

    Moss is not one of those players. If he's winning & on a winning team he is happy. If he is on a losing team he gives less than 100%, takes plays off & complains.

    We saw it here, they saw it in Oakland. That is why the Pats got him for a mere 4th round pick & only 3-4 teams out of 32 wanted anything to do with him. But people will still profess they know better than the personnel in the front offices of 28 NFL teams.

    The Patriots were a good fit. Had he gone to a sub 500 team, you would have seen the same old Moss there as you did in Oakland.
    I understand what you are saying about Moss's personality. I was just trying to state that just because you sign a impact player from one team, it doesn't translate into a sure thing on another. There are just too many factors involved. An impact player brought to a team that doesn't have the right pieces in place (to ensure that the player will strive), will usually wilt away (ala Moss).

    What you said only solidifies why Moss would not have been successful back here in Minn. Sad but true.

  9. #29
    i_bleed_purple's Avatar
    i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Canadialand
    Posts
    16,778
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Eagles make offer for Larry Fitzgerald

    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    The Front office payed Wade and Shiancoe a pretty hefty sum of cash, and neither of those are impact players.
    I will never take the amount a player makes in Free Agency as a sign of their level of talent, since every year, lesser players get paid more than established players do who were unfortunate to sign their contract a few years prior.
    Wade was arguably our most productive receiver last year.
    Hnd should have increased production with Berrian on the team, as he can focus on acting as the slot guy which is where he excels.


    Shank was a huge disapointment though for the money he is making.
    You can shine and polish a turd as much as you want, and sit it on top of other turds, but in the end you still have a pile of shit

  10. #30
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,271

    Re: Eagles make offer for Larry Fitzgerald

    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    The Front office payed Wade and Shiancoe a pretty hefty sum of cash, and neither of those are impact players.
    I will never take the amount a player makes in Free Agency as a sign of their level of talent, since every year, lesser players get paid more than established players do who were unfortunate to sign their contract a few years prior.
    Wade was arguably our most productive receiver last year.
    Hnd should have increased production with Berrian on the team, as he can focus on acting as the slot guy which is where he excels.


    Shank was a huge disapointment though for the money he is making.
    You can shine and polish a turd as much as you want, and sit it on top of other turds, but in the end you still have a pile of shit
    A player is either good or he isn't. The amount of money a team decides to pay him for his services doesn't change that.

    I always laugh when people use the amount of money a player gets to evaluate his talent on the field.

    A player doesn't play any better if he's making 1 mil a year or 5 mil. It's still the same player.

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Larry Fitzgerald Sr. says that Larry Jr. “always
    By Purple Floyd in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 08-05-2011, 11:38 PM
  2. Larry Fitzgerald?
    By ejmat in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 111
    Last Post: 02-16-2007, 10:02 PM
  3. (Merged) Larry Fitzgerald
    By ultravikingfan in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-01-2006, 01:35 PM
  4. Larry Fitzgerald
    By MinnyFan in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 11-09-2006, 02:48 PM
  5. Larry Fitzgerald
    By cavking in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 02-28-2004, 06:40 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •