purplepat is offline Hall of Famer

Eagles defense hurting - could bode well for Vikes wk. 2

Injuries that struck the Eagles defense last year return in training camp

By DAN GELSTON, AP Sports Writer

August 18, 2004

PHILADELPHIA (AP) -- It's become kind of a morbid guessing game at Philadelphia's practices the last couple of years -- who will be the next defensive player to go down with a serious injury?

The list of names on the injury report has grown longer than the list of teams on the Eagles schedule, leaving the players to wonder, ``Who's next?' Starting defensive end N.D Kalu was the latest casualty after a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee knocked him out for the season.

That means Derrick Burgess becomes the right end. While Kalu offers Burgess tips on being a starter, Burgess can tell Kalu all about rehabilitation -- he missed all but one game the last two years.

As Kalu was on Tuesday, Burgess was injured last season during a routine drill, which makes the injuries more difficult to accept or explain. They have happened mostly on the well-kept grass at the practice facility, not the concrete-like turf at the Eagles' old home, Veterans Stadium.

``It's hard to explain because football is so violent, but a lot of the injuries have been non-contact. It's unexplainable,' Kalu said.

Unfathomable is more like it.

Of the 13 players on the injured list, 11 are on defense.

Pro Bowl safety Brian Dawkins has barely practiced because of a knee injury. Defensive tackle Sam Rayburn and Dhani Jones both limped around the locker room on crutches Wednesday with high ankle sprains. Defensive end Jerome McDougle only recently started contact drills after sitting out with an injured shoulder.

Defensive tackles Corey Simon (back) and Paul Grasmanis (ankle) have missed most of training camp. Linebacker Nate Wayne has been bothered by a sore hamstring.

``One player or two is not going to make a difference in this team,' defensive coordinator Jim Johnson said Wednesday. ``We're going to miss them, but we're still going to be a good football team. We expect these guys to come back in two weeks. If it was in the middle of the season, we'd be reeling right now.'

Last season, the Eagles' lost Burgess and rookie defensive end Jamaal Green to season-ending injuries in the preseason. McDougle missed the first eight games, and Grasmanis and defensive tackle Hollis Thomas went down with season-ending injuries before the midpoint of the season.

Cornerbacks Bobby Taylor and Troy Vincent, who both left as free agents, also missed considerable time with injuries.

Hoping to bolster the pass rush, the Eagles signed three-time Pro Bowl defensive end Jevon Kearse in March. They signed defensive end Colston Weatherington and defensive tackle DeMarco Neil this week to add depth.

Johnson doesn't think the Eagles have to cut back on contact drills at practice.

``If you're hitting so much all the time, and you do have to hit in training camp, then you say, 'Hey, we have to slow it down.' But it's not the hitting part,' he said. ``You're going to have this in training camp.'

Ike Reese will start for Jones and Keith Adams could start for Wayne against Baltimore on Friday. Johnson also wants McDougle, last year's first-round draft pick, to get plenty of snaps.

``I'm ready to get myself in there and see how I feel with other guys besides my teammates,' McDougle said.
    SKOL VIKINGS!

pudgesoprano is offline Asst. Coach

buckhalter is hurt now
    Here s the most important thing: You can NEVER lose your sense of humor. Without that, you ve got NOTHING. (Divinci) James Belushi

sdvikefan is offline Hall of Famer

Yeah looks like Buckhalter will miss the entire season with a tear in his knee. Westbrook did an awesome job in the middle of the season last year, but that's a pretty big transition to go from RBBC to just one guy. Still I don't think it will hurt their West Coast Offense that much, and with TO on board, they will be more of a passing team anyways.

Speaking of West Coast Offense, it's kind of strange that the team it was named for, the 49ers, will be one of the few teams in the league this season not using some variation of it.
    "Meet at the quarterback!" -Purple People Eaters

hawaiianvike21 is offline Team Alumni

Man, eagles are really getting screwed over. Before you know it, TO will be out for the season too. :roll: :lol:

Yes i hope this does bode well for us in week two however.
    Hupo oe ke kau ana i ka waiupa a ma kou pa o & Hupo na Po o waiupa a

Big Daddy is offline Starter

"sdvikefan" wrote:
    Yeah looks like Buckhalter will miss the entire season with a tear in his knee. Westbrook did an awesome job in the middle of the season last year, but that's a pretty big transition to go from RBBC to just one guy. Still I don't think it will hurt their West Coast Offense that much, and with TO on board, they will be more of a passing team anyways.

Speaking of West Coast Offense, it's kind of strange that the team it was named for, the 49ers, will be one of the few teams in the league this season not using some variation of it.
    But the Eagles will have to generate some sort of running game to keep teams honest, and not load up against the pass. Otherwise you will see teams rushing 4 and droping 7 back into cuverage ( with probably a spy on McNabb).
    Happiness is like peeing your pants. Everyone can see it but only you can feel it s warmth!

muchluv4smoot is offline Team Alumni

"Big Daddy" wrote:
    "sdvikefan" wrote:

But the Eagles will have to generate some sort of running game to keep teams honest, and not load up against the pass. Otherwise you will see teams rushing 4 and droping 7 back into cuverage ( with probably a spy on McNabb).

Westbrook is a fine RB and will give them a good rushing attack when he is healthy. If he happens to get hurt, watch for a guy by the name of ChooChoo Mcoo. I think he has the talent to be a decent RB for them if westbrook was out for injury. They did just sign Levens again, but he is old and is just a guy to get a few carries a game, when the #1 RB is tired.

I would definitely still worry about their D though, because they have one of the best D coordinators in the league. He can seem to put any players into his system and still have success. They really don't have a CB to play with Moss though. Both sheppard and sheldon brown are overmatched by Moss, so they will need a ton of help on Moss. That should free up Robinson for a big game on Monady night. I do still like their 2 young CB' and think they did the right thing by letting aging taylor and vincent go. They will definitely need last years #1 pick, jerome mcDougal to step up at DE, for the injured ND Kalu.

I still think the eagles game will be one of the toughest games of the year for us, no doubt.

Big Daddy is offline Starter

I just think the Egals are going to miss Taylor and Vincent more than they think. Did anyone see the highlight of Owen's TD catch? It didn't even look like he put a move on the guy, I bet Moss and company will light them up!
    Happiness is like peeing your pants. Everyone can see it but only you can feel it s warmth!

man you just got to hate it for them can we all say AHHHHHH
    Yesterday is History
    Tomorrow a Mystery
    TODAY is a GIFT that is why WE
    call it the "PRESENT"

Cul2Moss84 is offline Rookie

one word...over rated! or at least they are now with there rb getting injuried AGAIN!
    [img:0cc63dbcbd]http://img10.paintedover.com/uploads/10/keyshawn.gif[/img:0cc63dbcbd]

hawaiianvike21 is offline Team Alumni

I hate to say it but no matter how bad the eagles d looks, they always seem to be prepared for a team and are fundamentally skilled especially since ace jimmy johnson is running the show. Whenever hes running your d, you have no worries of many and sometimes any offense. I expect a big challenge from there d and if our d doesnt show up another unwanted challenge from there offense.

THis mnf game is no cakewalk for us.
    Hupo oe ke kau ana i ka waiupa a ma kou pa o & Hupo na Po o waiupa a