singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Driver would welcome troubled Robinson

[size=13pt]Notes: Driver would welcome troubled Robinson[/size]

Receiver, Thompson have 'a little chat'

By TOM SILVERSTEIN
    tsilverstein@journalsentinel.com
    Posted: Sept. 6, 2006

Green Bay - Wide receiver Donald Driver happened to be in the building when free-agent wide receiver Koren Robinson made an official visit to the Green Bay Packers Sunday.

Although he saw Robinson, he did not get a chance to speak to him. If he could have, he would have told him that he was welcome in Green Bay. The Packers could use the help.

"He's a good kid," Driver said. "I know he can play the game. I don't know too much about Koren, but I know he is a good player. We only have four wides (receivers) on the active roster."

Driver is aware of Robinson's battle with alcohol, which has left him in deep water with authorities and the National Football League. Because of several alcohol-related incidents, Robinson is facing not only legal trouble but a possible one-year suspension for violating the league's substance abuse policy.

It won't be known for a while whether Robinson will be suspended, but general manager Ted Thompson, who drafted Robinson in 2001 when he was with the Seattle Seahawks, wanted to see where the talented receiver and returner was in his life.

It's been less than a month since he was caught driving 100 mph in a 55 mph zone on his way back to the Minnesota Vikings' training camp in Mankato, Minn., and found to have a blood-alcohol level of 0.11 percent.

Thompson would not reveal anything about his conversation with Robinson, who made the Pro Bowl last season with the Vikings as a kick returner, and would not say if the Packers are interested in signing him.

"He came in and we had a little chat," Thompson said. "It was just a chance to sit down and talk."

If the Packers are interested, they probably wouldn't sign him until next week when vested veterans are no longer guaranteed their full salary. Anyone with more than four years of service who is on the roster opening day receives his base salary that year regardless if he gets cut or injured.

The Packers would be gambling that Robinson isn't suspended or that he would be able to play a significant amount of time while the appeal process goes on. It's possible Thompson feels that if Robinson were in an environment where he knew people such as Thompson and personnel analyst John Schneider, who was also with the Seahawks, he might stay clean.

Driver said Robinson would not be a threat to the camaraderie of the receivers and would be coming to an environment where his peer group is mostly family men.

"We are our own group," Driver said. "We're different because most of us are married, most of us have kids. We don't hang out that much. If he comes in and wants to be here, he'll be here. I think every man knows what they do wrong. He knows right from wrong.

"If he comes in and plays it will be a great situation. I think he would fit in this system. He's been in it for a long time."

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Re: Driver would welcome troubled Robinson

Yes. Put Koren in a state that produces a crapload of beer (and alcoholics). I wonder how long it would be before he hit someone driving drunk with a case of MGD is his system.
    The first place Koren should go is REHAB for an extended stay with multiple visits to shrinks, then AA. Anyone agree?

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Re: Driver would welcome troubled Robinson

"DeathtoDenny" wrote:
    Yes. Put Koren in a state that produces a crapload of beer (and alcoholics). I wonder how long it would be before he hit someone driving drunk with a case of MGD is his system.
    The first place Koren should go is REHAB for an extended stay with multiple visits to shrinks, then AA. Anyone agree?
    Trust me, many shrinks don't know pooh about alcoholics or can really help them unless they've been there, done that.

His best help will come from those already in recovery that have been there a long time.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"