Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

Draft's bottom-dwellers cannot choose their destiny

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/don_banks/03/25/top10.danger/index.html

[size=12pt]Picks of the littered[/size]
    Draft's bottom-dwellers cannot choose their destiny

Posted: Tuesday March 25, 2008 1:08PM; Updated: Tuesday March 25, 2008 1:32PM
    And a selected, mouth-watering quote:

Picking in the top 10 is indeed no picnic these days, and I think Colts general manager Bill Polian is on to something when he pinpoints the prohibitive financial commitment that comes with working in the draft's high-rent district, as he did at length at last month's NFL scouting combine. Boiled down, Polian's thesis is the cost of doing business at the top of the draft at least partly works as a deterrent to those teams who are trying to use their high draft picks in order to become more competitive. Which is exactly opposite of the original intention of the draft's last-shall-be-first formula.

"The draft was designed to either allow the weakest teams, based on record, to choose the best players, or if they chose not to take a particular player, to gather a bunch of picks to further accelerate their growth and competitiveness,' Polian said. "That's what (longtime Bears owner/coach George) Halas and commissioner (Bert) Bell intended way back when, and that's now been skewered completely by the cost of the picks in the top 15 of the first round.
    Go!
    Discuss!

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

vikingivan is offline Star Spokesman

Re: Draft's bottom-dwellers cannot choose their destiny

How in the world does he have Carson Palmer listed with Tim Couch, David Carr, Alex Smith, and Mike Vick.
    I stopped reading the article at that point.
    I understand Palmer hasn't won anything, but he is a much better qb then the other 3.

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"vikingivan" wrote:
    How in the world does he have Carson Palmer listed with Tim Couch, David Carr, Alex Smith, and Mike Vick.
    I understand Palmer hasn't won anything, but he is a much better qb then the other 3.
    That's not the point, is it?
    Here's the quote:

You take a franchise-level player and get at least 10 years of great results out of him, leading the organization to great things in the process. But it rarely happens, of course, as the teams who selected Tim Couch, Courtney Brown, Michael Vick, David Carr, Carson Palmer and Alex Smith can readily attest.
    Has Carson Palmer won a single playoff game?
    Has he lifted the Bengals to perennial playoff-contender status?
    Or has he managed to be amazingly medicore when not hurt?

Hey - I like Palmer as a fantasy QB, and I'd probably want him as my starter in the NFL.
    But his track record for success fails for a lot more than not going to a Super Bowl.....

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

"Zeus" wrote:
    "vikingivan" wrote:
    That's not the point, is it?
    Here's the quote:

You take a franchise-level player and get at least 10 years of great results out of him, leading the organization to great things in the process. But it rarely happens, of course, as the teams who selected Tim Couch, Courtney Brown, Michael Vick, David Carr, Carson Palmer and Alex Smith can readily attest.
    Has Carson Palmer won a single playoff game?
    Has he lifted the Bengals to perennial playoff-contender status?
    Or has he managed to be amazingly medicore when not hurt?

Hey - I like Palmer as a fantasy QB, and I'd probably want him as my starter in the NFL.
    But his track record for success fails for a lot more than not going to a Super Bowl.....

=Z=
    He a multiple Pro-Bowler who took a team that was terrible for a decade and made them playoff contenders, no easy feat, especially considering how bad their defense is.

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.