Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    peterson-rox28 is offline Pro-Bowler

Re: Draft Grades and Judgements

i think our draft is better then these analyst think it is!

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

[size=11pt]Non-grading the draft: Thoughts on every team's weekend haul of picks[/size]
    Ross Tucker

Minnesota Vikings: Percy Harvin will make a ton of plays for the Vikings as long as he can stay on the field. Phil Loadholt is the big hammer the Vikes wanted to get at right tackle. Asher Allen from Georgia is the corner they sorely needed.
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/ross_tucker/04/27/draft.grades/index.html

[size=11pt]NFC North: Cutler trade, aggression pay off for Bears, Packers[/size]
    By Bucky Brooks
    |
    NFL.com
    Analyst

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09000d5d810076e8&template=without-video-with-comments&confirm=true

[size=11pt]Moreno, Wells headline top fantasy rookies after NFL Draft[/size]
    By Michael Fabiano
    |
    NFL.com
    Fantasy Editor

Harvin, who's been compared to Reggie Bush with his physical skill set, will likely compete with Sidney Rice for the right to start opposite Bernard Berrian next season. Where Harvin could make an impact in fantasy circles is not only as a receiver, but as a runner out of the backfield in the Wildcat formation. He's an ultra-fast and explosive playmaker, and Harvin can score any time he touches the football. He'll be a popular late-round selection in seasonal fantasy drafts.
    http://www.nfl.com/fantasy/story?id=09000d5d81005df2&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

[size=11pt]Grading every team's NFL Draft[/size]
    by John Czarnecki

The Vikings added the draft's most intriguing playmaker in Florida's Percy Harvin, who has blistering speed and quickness, but also a positive marijuana test. Still, the drug issue didn't scare off Minnesota's coaching staff. Harvin could be a special weapon, considering Minnesota has the league's best running back in Adrian Peterson.

In the second round, the Vikings took mountainous offensive tackle Phil Loadholt of Oklahoma. Big Phil is 6-8, 336 pounds. South Carolina ILB Jasper Brinkley had third-round value but slid to the fifth round. Grade: C
    http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9501382

[size=11pt]Top 10 Day One surprises[/size]

Minnesota selecting Florida wide receiver Percy Harvin at No. 22.

Harvin is smoking fast. He also got busted for smoking marijuana and failing a drug test at the NFL Scouting Combine, sources told FOXSports.com earlier this week. Rick Spielman, Minnesota's vice president of player personnel, told Vikings media that the team "felt comfortable enough (with Harvin's character)" and "he was just too explosive of a playmaker and too hard to pass up when we were picking." This is the kind of risk/reward pick that can cost coaches and personnel chiefs their jobs if Harvin doesn't get his act together off the field.
    http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9500190/Top-10-Day-One-surprises

VikingMike is offline Jersey Retired

"marstc09" wrote:
    [size=11pt]Time will prove that USC's Sanchez was top QB of the 2009 draft class[/size]
    Don Banks

The Vikings were losers, because I think they're going rue the day they selected Florida receiver Percy Harvin, this draft's poster-child for character issues. It's not just the marijuana use in Harvin's background, it's the widespread reports that he's a bit of a punk who believes the world revolves around him.
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/don_banks/04/25/Draft.snaps/index.html

Fuck you Banks.

This a-hole too...doesn't know what he's talking about. I like our picks...we got some real value.

[size=13pt]NFC grades: Mostly solid, non-spectacular moves[/size]

By Charles Robinson, Yahoo! Sports
    15 hours, 27 minutes ago

Minnesota Vikings
    Picks: WR Percy Harvin, OT Phil Loadholt, CB Asher Allen, LB Jasper Brinkley, S Jamarca Sanford
    Positive: Harvin’s talent.
    Negative: Harvin’s character issues.
    Bottom line: C.
    It’s a small class, but Harvin and Loadholt have the potential to be immediate starters. This entire class is wagered on Harvin getting his head straight, and there doesn’t seem to be a great deal of confidence out there in other personnel departments. His talent is undeniable, but you wonder if the Vikings have turned back the clock to their problematic character days.
    Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood. - H.L. Mencken

Come from the land of the ice and snow...

Grade: A-

Details: Percy Harvin’s character concerns aside, Minnesota couldn't have done much better on the first day. The Vikes were targeting Phil Loadholt as early as No. 22, so getting him at 54 was outstanding value. He and Harvin both will make sizable first-year impacts.

Georgia CB Asher Allen needed another year in school, but offers starting potential down the road. He plays with swagger and protects the team in case Antoine Winfield exits after his 2009 contract year. Jasper Brinkley might have been the hardest-hitting linebacker in the draft and will produce on special teams. S Jamarca Sanford probably won't make the roster, but the Vikings continue to draft well and appear headed for Super Bowl contention.
    http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/30413106/?pg=38#spt_nfl_draft_reportcard2009

oaklandzoo24 is offline Star Spokesman

I'd give us a solid B just because we are bringing in a potential game changing player (but could be a bust *knock on wood) and then filled needs at the OT and CB positions.
    Pretty solid there.

I'd give the Pack an A though.
    I thought nearly everyone one of their picks had starter potential.
    Plus, Raji and Matthews are a perfect fit for them and Meredith was a steal.

Chicago...well they got Cutler who is a possible franchise QB.
    Great move on their behalf (the price was high but franchise QBs, especially at that age, come around once in a blue moon.
    DJ Moore was great value as well, Iglesias gives them a solid WR.
    Watch out for Derek Kinder too...a PITT WR with loads of talent but is a bit injury prone.

Lions brought in alot of talent, but thats going to happen when you have that many high picks.
    They gave alot of $ to $tafford though so they NEED him to develop into a franchise QB.
    I thought they could have done a bit better given their prime selection positions though.
    I really think they should have gone after OT
    a bit earlier especially with Oher still on the board at pick 20.

Overall, solid class for the NFC North.
    We need to stop being one of the laughing stock divisions in the league.
    Its the NFC West, AFC West, and then were right in the mix.
    Lets all step up this year.

"There are 3 things that sell in America:
    Violence, sex, and drugs.
    The only way you are going to make this game more appealing to the public than it was before is if there are on field orgies at halftime and the domes become massive opium dens."

[img width=450 height=55]http://img216.imageshac

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

I just look at it this way: We had the best day 1 possible. Harvin was certainly top 3 when it comes to BPA at 22. Sure we could have taken Oher, but then we enter the second round still needing an offensive playmaker, when all offensive playmakers have been taken.

Loadholt at 54 was the best possible pick after already acquiring Harvin. I'm still iffy as to whether he will start right away, but I certainly cannot name a player I would have rather had at 54.

I still have trouble comprehending that Maclin almost fell to us. I would have cried. No way he gets past Philly, or Cleveland though, even if they did pass on him twice.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast