i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Don Coryell dead at age 85

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d818efd3a/article/former-chargers-coach-passing-guru-don-coryell-dies-at-85

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

Re:Don Coryell dead at age 85

"For Don Coryell to not be in the Hall of Fame is a lack of understanding of the legacy of the game."

What he brought to offensive football changed the game.
    I'll never forget watching him endlessly pacing up and down the sidelines with a look of intensity that could vaporize steel.

God bless him and his family.
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

RIP.. Don't know a whole lot about him as I don't follow much of the history.. But he seemed like a nice guy and a real pioneer of the game

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

V4L wrote:
    RIP.. Don't know a whole lot about him as I don't follow much of the history.. But he seemed like a nice guy and a real pioneer of the game
    If you've got nothing better to do, wiki him, and the 'air coryell' offense. The Guy revolutionized the game. Like its said in the article, Bill Walsh gets all the credit for the WCO because San Fran won titles, but that stemmed from what Coryell did in the 70's.

He re-defined the TE, with Winslow. Winslow was like Tony Gonzalez, except 30 years ago in a time where TE's were big, huge, powerful blockers and short yardage receivers.

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

i_bleed_purple wrote:
    V4L wrote:
    If you've got nothing better to do, wiki him, and the 'air coryell' offense. The Guy revolutionized the game. Like its said in the article, Bill Walsh gets all the credit for the WCO because San Fran won titles, but that stemmed from what Coryell did in the 70's.

He re-defined the TE, with Winslow. Winslow was like Tony Gonzalez, except 30 years ago in a time where TE's were big, huge, powerful blockers and short yardage receivers.

Yah, I knew that much

Was watching a little bit of stuff on him on NFL Network.. Know the minimum about him and "air coryell" I suppose

Know a few of the players he worked with

Was a sad day yesterday when we lose someone like him

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/jim_trotter/07/02/coryell.original/index.html

Don Coryell's bold approach helped mold the NFL into what it is today
    Posted: Friday July 2, 2010 10:22AM ; Updated: Friday July 2, 2010 10:22AM
    Jim Trotter

Retired quarterback Brian Sipe was speaking at a luncheon for the San Diego Hall of Champions sports museum a couple of years ago when someone asked about playing at San Diego State for Don Coryell, the intense and wildly imaginative coach who loved to throw the football. Sipe smiled and paused. It was as if he were asking himself: How best to describe the offensive genius that was Coryell?

After a brief moment, Sipe recounted how when the Cleveland Browns drafted him into the NFL in 1972, it felt like he had been placed in a remedial class for passing offenses. "I felt like I had taken a step back," he said. "The things we were doing at San Diego State were far more advanced."

The NFL learned as much a year later, when Coryell joined the St. Louis Cardinals. In a league that relied heavily on the run, Coryell challenged conventional philosophies by winging it. His approach was so bold, his game plans so innovative, that in five seasons with the Cardinals and nine with the Chargers, he not only changed how the game was played -- but molded it into what we see today.

His contributions deserve to be remembered, because Thursday, Coryell died in La Mesa, Calif., after a lengthy illness. He was 85.
    =Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

jargomcfargo wrote:
    "For Don Coryell to not be in the Hall of Fame is a lack of understanding of the legacy of the game."
    ain't that the truth and just shows how people who have been big factors in the development of the game get overlooked for HOF honours.
    I guess if he'd managed some SB wins then the HOF selection committee would be falling over themselves to get him in. Ironic that people now suddenly recognise what he did for the game.
    Sadly missed and condolences to his family.
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...