Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Does Walker have a legit gripe?

THURSDAY, April 13, 2006, 4:45 p.m.
    Cliff Christl:
    Packer Insider

[size=18px]Does Walker have a legit gripe? [/size]

Part of Javon Walker's beef with the Green Bay Packers -- maybe a big part of it -- is that Brett Favre criticized him a year ago for missing a minicamp in an attempt to get a better contract. Probably the harshest thing Favre said was that Walker essentially would be turning his back on his teammates if he held out. Favre also said that he thought Walker was "going about this the wrong way."

Nothing Favre said was particularly biting. But former Packers safety Darren Sharper subsequently blasted Favre for undercutting a teammate and said he knew of numerous players around the league who thought Favre was wrong. More recently, Walker told ESPN. com: "There's an unwritten rule that players stand together."

Was Favre out of line? Is there such an unwritten rule?

Having covered pro football as a beat reporter from 1974-'83 and again from 1987-'88, I never heard a player say anything to that effect. Never heard a player say it since either until Sharper, Walker and others made it an issue. Apparently Willie Davis, the Packers' Hall of Fame defensive end from 1960-'69, never heard of it, either. "I find it very hard to criticize Brett for what he said," Davis recently told the Green Bay Press-Gazette. "I think that's how a football player thinks in a team atmosphere. It's like, get on in here, we need you and we need everybody we can get to help us." Based on recent comments he made to the Wisconsin State Journal, Frank Winters apparently hadn't heard of the unwritten rule, either. "I'm an older guy, where I believe if you sign a contract, you have to abide by it," Winters, a friend of Favre's who played with the Packers from 1992-2002, told the paper.

That said, Walker obviously believes otherwise and so does Sharper. And my guess is that there probably are other contemporary players who agree with them. I think it's a genderational thing or whatever; that you don't criticize anyone that's part of your brotherhood.

Call me old school. But I think it's a crock. I think it's just another example of how so many of today's professional athletes are overly sensitive and terribly insecure. The football players may play a violent sport, but they're really nothing but big babies.

I prefer people who take the Mike Ditka approach: Look somebody in the eyeballs and tell them exactly what you think, feelings be damned.

Does Walker have a legit gripe?

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Re: Does Walker have a legit gripe?

Walker shouldn't have been crying about it before but now that Favre is doing practically the same thing, I would say yes. Favre is wavering on playing because he doesn't like the team that Green Bay has. Walker wouldn't play because of money. What's the difference? Sack up Brett and make a frickin' decision!!

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

I can see Walker's point. He knows the average life expectancy of any receiver playing with Brett is very short, so you have to get your money up front and early.

Hang them out to dry.

Jeremy is offline Starter

Having covered pro football as a beat reporter from 1974-'83 and again from 1987-'88, I never heard a player say anything to that effect. Never heard a player say it since either until Sharper, Walker and others made it an issue. Apparently Willie Davis, the Packers' Hall of Fame defensive end from 1960-'69, never heard of it, either. "I find it very hard to criticize Brett for what he said," Davis recently told the Green Bay Press-Gazette. "I think that's how a football player thinks in a team atmosphere. It's like, get on in here, we need you and we need everybody we can get to help us."

What does that have to do with players in the 21st century? They didn't even have a salary cap back then. A lot has changed, especially with contracts. In the slary cap era, vetern players get cut and can't collect on all of thier contract. Younger guys see this happening and hold out for money. Really it works both ways. Players and management screwing each other.

It's really easy for Favre to sit back there and rip Jevon for holding out because he already got his big payday.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

They both are wrong for hanging out their teammates to dry...but the difference is that Brett has earned the right to gripe...Walker has had ONE good season and he has NO leverage with the Packers. That being said, the Packers should just trade Brett and get over him.
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

seaniemck7 is offline Hall of Famer

Both of them are fukctards. If Brett had a gripe, call Javon on the phone, homo. Why talk to the press and air dirty laundry to the public. Javon, i bet, was happy as shit to sign his contract as a rookie. STFU, pay your dues, then get your new contract.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Asmany times as Bret has had his contract re-negotiated, he shoiuld just keep his mouth shut.

What Walker & his agent decide to do is none of his business.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

I not totally sure about whether Walker has the right, but I don't think Favre has the right to say anything about it. (as an added note, I wish Favre would just make his decision, I'm tired of hearing about him all the time!)
    WE CAN BUILD ON THIS!!!

In AP I trust

BradTheMan14 is offline Starter

he has no gripe..cmon its lord favre he can do whatever he wants because hes Lord Favre and hes one of the greatest qb's of all time and javon is just some bum wr that thinks hes really good
    Q: At your age, can you handle a full season?
    A: I m 37, number one. I took my family to Perkins a couple of days ago, and they didn t hand me a senior citizens discount card, so I feel pretty good.
    (Brad Johnson at an interview before the start of the season)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast