Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A dis on Hovan

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

A dis on Hovan

This was on Viking Update and I thought that some people might enjoy it.

I know there are some people who like this guy, but I am not one of them. I hope that he can rejuvenate his career (as long as it is not in Minnesota), but this does not look good.

* Hovan: the Rebirth -- Former Viking Chris Hovan sparkled under his new tutors in Tampa Saturday, registering one tackle with no sacks and no assists. The extra effort paid off, although one VU scout said the tackle came as the result of a player stumbling over a prone Hovan.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

SKOL is offline Ring of Fame

Re: A dis on Hovan

"whackthepack" wrote:
    one VU scout said the tackle came as the result of a player stumbling over a prone Hovan.
    :lol: Is that funny, or what? :lol:

The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good -Samuel Johnson - lexicographer
    The word genius isn t applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein - Joe Theisman

Del Rio Guest

"whackthepack" wrote:

I know there are some people who like this guy, but I am not one of them. I hope that he can rejuvenate his career (as long as it is not in Minnesota), but this does not look good.

* Hovan: the Rebirth -- Former Viking Chris Hovan sparkled under his new tutors in Tampa Saturday, registering one tackle with no sacks and no assists. The extra effort paid off, although one VU scout said the tackle came as the result of a player stumbling over a prone Hovan.
    That's one tackle more then Fat Pat had.........

"Del Rio" wrote:
    "whackthepack" wrote:

Should the tackle count if you lying on your back and someone falls over you?

And Del being an ex-player you should see that Pat is tying up the middle and controlling play, were Hovan last year was getting single coverage and getting controlled at the line easily.

JDogg926 is offline Star Spokesman

I remember when Hovan was a beast. I guess he couldn't take the constructive criticism. I think he got a bad rap in either 2002 or 2003, I can't remember. He was consistently double-teamed and had terrible numbers. Even with him occupying 2 blockers 90% of the time nobody on our D-line was effective. I think he got frustrated and once we actually had better play from the rest of our d-line, he just began to stink it up.
    542cbf305f333b0554e8ffa937f852d6

Del Rio Guest

"whackthepack" wrote:
    "Del Rio" wrote:
    "whackthepack" wrote:

Should the tackle count if you lying on your back and someone falls over you?

And Del being an ex-player you should see that Pat is tying up the middle and controlling play, were Hovan last year was getting single coverage and getting controlled at the line easily.
    I love the defensive line, I miss a lot of action because I focus on the line, I like watching the snap and see how fast they can flow to the ball. You can tell you they make their reads off of.

I will say this, Pat Williams is going to be less of an impact then most think. I would go as far to say that having him in there will hurt better players like Scott who are far more rounded and solid a player.

When you hold the line you need to get 3 yards deep. Merely holding is not enough. Hovan was being praised last year by Tice for doing all the little things right. In the same breath he was being blasted for not getting the numbers everyone wanted.

All I said was he had more numbers then Fat Pat.

thepacksux is offline Asst. Coach

i would rather have pat in there on a run up the middle than hovan, and thats what we got pat for

Del Rio Guest

That's a waste of space if that is your sole reason for taking up a roster spot.

Del, are we going to argue all year about Pat williams like we did all last year about Hovan? I have to say I won that one, as they benched him and then released him as soon as the season was over.

Tice was trying to take the heat off Hovan because the guy was losing it and Tice was trying to keep his head together.

Everybody know he was terrible, and his play showed it! Are you now trying to condemn Pat because I argued with you about Hovan last year?

He has played in 2 preseason games for less than a half, total! He is considered one of the best defensive tackles in the game! He is not a pass rusher, he is a run stopper and I like having a big fat guy in the middle to clog it up!

Better than having Hovan in there to get his a$$ shoved around my every lineman he faced!

I guess time will tell how he does, but I think you are being a little crittical at least I gave Hovan 4 years before I blasted him.

Del Rio Guest

I have stated my displeasure of us signing Pat way before I knew he made your denim rise.

No we aren't going to argue over it because the season hasn't even started yet. We may slap each other around mid season, but not right now. I don't think you won the argument before, but as long as you do that's fine.

I never really liked Hovan, I think the he and the fans put too much pressure on him. He was always just an ok DT. He couldn't live up to your expectations.

Stick with an argument. You want numbers right? I mean that's why you were pissing yourself over Hovan, so what happens when Pat Williams has crap for numbers? All of a sudden it is ok because he is a "ROLE PLAYER" LOL!

The season will roll around and tubby will have 4 quarters to get around to doing something productive then we can talk about it.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast