Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

Dirtiest NFL player: Steelers' Ward

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...rty/index.html

[size=12pt]Dirtiest NFL player: Steelers' Ward[/size]
    Posted: Wednesday November 4, 2009 1:01PM; Updated: Wednesday November 4, 2009 1:01PM

By Richard Deitsch, SI.com

Hines Ward is the dirtiest player in the NFL, according to a Sports Illustrated poll of 296 players released this week.

The Steelers' wide receiver, long considered the league's best blocking wide receiver, received 11.6 percent of the vote. He was followed by Redskins defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth (6.0), Dolphins linebacker Joey Porter (6.0), Bengals safety Roy Williams (5.1) and Titans center Kevin Mawae (4.6). Titans cornerback Cortland Finnegan (4.2), Rams guard Richie Incognito (3.7), Falcons guard Harvey Dahl (3.7), Steelers safety Troy Polamalu (3.7) and Vikings defensive end Jared Allen (3.2) rounded out the top 10.
    =Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Dirtiest NFL player: Steelers' Ward

"Zeus" wrote:

Posted: Wednesday November 4, 2009 1:01PM; Updated: Wednesday November 4, 2009 1:01PM

Hines Ward is the dirtiest player in the NFL, according to a Sports Illustrated poll of 296 players released this week.

The Steelers' wide receiver, long considered the league's best blocking wide receiver, received 11.6 percent of the vote. He was followed by Redskins defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth (6.0), Dolphins linebacker Joey Porter (6.0), Bengals safety Roy Williams (5.1) and Titans center Kevin Mawae (4.6). Titans cornerback Cortland Finnegan (4.2), Rams guard Richie Incognito (3.7), Falcons guard Harvey Dahl (3.7), Steelers safety Troy Polamalu (3.7) and Vikings defensive end Jared Allen (3.2) rounded out the top 10.
    =Z=
    I disagree.
    Ward gets dinged for blocking.
    What is he supposed to do, ask for permission to block?
    as a position that consistently gets hammered, I am seeing a bit of a double standard here.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Dirty player or just old school?

I love some of the old games they show on NFLN.
    You get to see guys ripping heads off at the shoulders, QB's getting slammed on the ground etc etc etc.

I bet some of the sissy girls we have for players these days wouldn't last 2 games and some of the old school guys would be broke because of all the fines they would have to pay.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:

=Z=
    I disagree.
    as a position that consistently gets hammered, I am seeing a bit of a double standard here.
    I think people consider it dirty because he is often hitting guys low, when there not expecting it. I think Favre does the same thing only worse, if a guys sees Favre coming Favre falls the other direction(see td returns in Steelers game), if they don't see him coming he goes for the knees(Not sure what games, atleast once in the preseason and once in the regular season). Ward will try to block anyone any time.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"jmcdon00" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:

=Z=
    I disagree.
    I think people consider it dirty because he is often hitting guys low, when there not expecting it. I think Favre does the same thing only worse, if a guys sees Favre coming Favre falls the other direction(see td returns in Steelers game), if they don't see him coming he goes for the knees(Not sure what games, atleast once in the preseason and once in the regular season). Ward will try to block anyone any time.
    Really? I always see him going up high when blocking.

As for Favre, I see where you`re coming from, but that seems to pretty much be standard for QB`s to go low.

carta4eva is offline Asst. Coach Space Invaders Champion

"Marrdro" wrote:

You get to see guys ripping heads off at the shoulders, QB's getting slammed on the ground etc etc etc.

I bet some of the sissy girls we have for players these days wouldn't last 2 games and some of the old school guys would be broke because of all the fines they would have to pay.

but could those 'old school' players even get there hands on the modern player is the true question... players are bigger, stronger, and faster than ever before... just imagine an Adrian Peterson
    or Randy Moss (ok bad example since he shies away from the middle) in the 1960s... he would run for 296 in a lot of games
    A wise man once said," Defense Wins Championships!"

"carta4eva" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

but could those 'old school' players even get there hands on the modern player is the true question... players are bigger, stronger, and faster than ever before... just imagine an Adrian Peterson
    or Randy Moss (ok bad example since he shies away from the middle) in the 1960s... he would run for 296 in a lot of games
    Good point on the bigger stronger faster, but sometimes bigger, stronger, faster isn't the whole package.
    Think about how talented some of those cats were.
    At some point you would think skill would prevail.

How do you think AD would fare running into the G gap (its only so wide) with Dick Butkus or Ray Nitschke filling it?
    Heaven forbid, if he did get past the next layer, how would he feel trying to juke the likes of Ronnie Lott, Rod Woodson or Joey Browner?

Those cats ran through you, they just didn't wrap you up.

;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

carta4eva is offline Asst. Coach Space Invaders Champion

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "carta4eva" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

Good point on the bigger stronger faster, but sometimes bigger, stronger, faster isn't the whole package.

How do you think AD would fare running into the G gap (its only so wide) with slick willy Butkus or Ray Nitschke filling it?
    Heaven forbid, if he did get past the next layer, how would he feel trying to juke the likes of Ronnie Lott, Rod Woodson or Joey Browner?

;D
    Well in Adrian's case it might cause the next BIG BANG if he ran into Butkus... AD wouldn't go down or out of bounds and Butkus wouldn't budge an inch... skill is of course important but I think that a lot of those old school greats had an inordinate amount of football IQ... something AD has tons of (@ least in terms of his field vision) it would be fun to see that's for sure
    A wise man once said," Defense Wins Championships!"

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"carta4eva" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "carta4eva" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

How do you think AD would fare running into the G gap (its only so wide) with slick willy Butkus or Ray Nitschke filling it?

;D
    Well in Adrian's case it might cause the next BIG BANG if he ran into Butkus... AD wouldn't go down or out of bounds and Butkus wouldn't budge an inch... skill is of course important but I think that a lot of those old school greats had an inordinate amount of football IQ... something AD has tons of (@ least in terms of his field vision) it would be fun to see that's for sure
    Butkus is listed as 6' 3", 245 lbs.
    http://www.pro-football-reference.co...B/ButkDi00.htm

Nitschke as 6' 3", 235 lbs.
    http://www.pro-football-reference.co...N/NitsRa00.htm

AD is 6' 2", 217 lbs.
    http://www.pro-football-reference.co...P/PeteAd01.htm

Now - given modern training methods vs. those in the 60s (when weightlifting was frowned upon), how much of Butkus' 245 is pure muscle?
    Nitschke's 235?
    And AD's 217?

I know this is more speculation, but I think he'd run over those guys as sure as he runs over people today.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

"carta4eva" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "carta4eva" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

;D
    Well in Adrian's case it might cause the next BIG BANG if he ran into Butkus... AD wouldn't go down or out of bounds and Butkus wouldn't budge an inch... skill is of course important but I think that a lot of those old school greats had an inordinate amount of football IQ... something AD has tons of (@ least in terms of his field vision) [size=10pt]it would be fun to see that's for sure[/size]
    Agreed.

Not sure if you saw the thread were I pointed out how many of our current players play the game right.
    AD isn't the only one I would love to see matched up against some of the greats.
    I am simply amazed at how PH plays like a mini AD.
    Greenways motor is almost as high as JA's.
    PL and his effort to stop the TD return was something to bring a tear to my eye.
    Rays sack of Rodgers last week after chasing him from one side of the field, across to the other and back again was pure poetry.

With one exception, I sure the hell love watching this team play and judging by the way the salaries/contracts are structured, we are gonna watch alot of them for at least 3 or 4 years.

Should only get better from here.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast