Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Did Dennis Green Set Foundation for Arizona?

While former Arizona head coach Dennis Green fell under a great deal of scrutiny during his time in the desert, his handprints are all over the Cardinals’ current roster. Despite winning only 16 games in three seasons, Green helped secure many of Arizona’s existing stars. Brad Wilbricht takes a look at the Cardinals’ drafts under Green and gives the fiery coach credit when most others refuse.

http://ari.scout.com/2/833275.html

Still say the previous regime screwed the Pooch by not promoting Denny to GM and promoting Tony to HC......
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Did Dennis Green Set Foundation for Arizona?

I agree with that to some extent.

I still believe Green was brilliant at evaluating offensive talent and he certainly brought in his share here and in Arizona, but on the defensive side he was really wa hack job. Getting rid of guys like Browner and drafting guys like Duane Clemons, Derrick Alexander and the infamous Demitrius Underwood in the first round really show a lack of depth of knowledge of the defensive side of the talent pool.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

HC's don't make the selection in the draft. The front office does.

If HC's had that much pull, we would have had Shawne Merriman (who Tice wanted) instead of Troy Williamson.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"singersp" wrote:

If HC's had that much pull, we would have had Shawne Merriman (who Tice wanted) instead of Troy Williamson.
    Is that why Tice got his card in late? Because somebody else was doing the selection?

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:

Is that why Tice got his card in late? Because somebody else was doing the selection?
    I doubt Tice, just like Childress, was even there. Who actually put in the cards & made the final decisions in Tice's tenure & 2006? Without having a real GM, who had the final say?

Who knows what was going in during that time. Were they arguing amongst the masses who to select? Were they talking trade with another team like they were doing when we took K-Will?

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

Green had to be one of the worst ever in clock management.
    Sure, he was involved with a lot of good offenses, but his defenses always seem to suck and his running game was usually lacking too.
    Those deep passes don't take much time off the clock whether its a TD or an incomplete or INT.
    So yeah, he built most of that offense, but Ken and Grimm rebuilt/retooled the OL and Defense and brought a bit more running game to the desert.

Didn't he want more GM duties...AND to stay HC?
    That has never really worked out for anyone I can recall.
    I think its just too much responsibility.
    While its obvious enough that the FO does most of the legwork (scouting, contracts, cap management, initial agent contact etc,) the HC is always involved at some level with the personel decisions...just how much say depends on the given situation.

Sorry, just not a DuhKnee Green fan!
    What I wanted was to fire Denny 2 years earlier and hire Tony.
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

Vikes is offline Team Alumni

"singersp" wrote:

That's not always true. Most HC's have a fair amount of input in the draft selection.

The rigors of Spartan life. Leonidas is cast out into the wild, and survives the harsh winter to return to his home, when he is crowned King ....a Viking!

"singersp" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:

I doubt Tice, just like Childress, was even there. Who actually put in the cards & made the final decisions in Tice's tenure & 2006? Without having a real GM, who had the final say?

Who knows what was going in during that time. Were they arguing amongst the masses who to select? Were they talking trade with another team like they were doing when we took K-Will?
    I have been watching the draft for alot of years and to date I have never seen a HC at the draft.
    They are typically back in the warroom at the teams HQ's.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    I agree with that to some extent.

I still believe Green was brilliant at evaluating offensive talent and he certainly brought in his share here and in Arizona, but on the defensive side he was really wa hack job. Getting rid of guys like Browner and drafting guys like Duane Clemons, Derrick Alexander and the infamous Demitrius Underwood in the first round really show a lack of depth of knowledge of the defensive side of the talent pool.
    Some of that blame has to be laid at the FO feet as well.

Lets not forget that they own the scouts that go out and watch most of the guys play games and break down all the film of vialble candidates long before the coaching staff gets involved.

[size=13pt]In Green's mold[/size]

[size=10pt]Cardinals are who their former coach thought they were[/size]

By Ed Zieralski (Contact) Union-Tribune Staff Writer

2:00 a.m. January 26, 2009

If Dennis Green harbors any bitterness for being fired as head coach of the Arizona Cardinals after the 2006 season, he doesn't show it....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast