Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Derrick Mason may leave Baltimore

[size=13pt]Mason hints at leaving Ravens[/size]

Team's top wide receiver wants contract extension

By Jamison Hensley
    [email protected]

March 10, 2009

Pushing hard for a contract extension, Ravens wide receiver Derrick Mason intimated he would want to be released if he didn't receive one.

Mason, 35, has been the team's only dependable receiver, leading the Ravens in catches for three of his four seasons with them...

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Derrick Mason may leave Baltimore

would not be opposed at all.

Ranger is offline Coach

That guy is a gutsy, underrated receiver with exceptional hands.
    Anybody watch him pulling down passes in the playoffs with a jacked up shoulder?
    Tough receiver, and would be a huuuuuuge benefit to us lined up across from 'nard.

Blog Entries

"Ranger" wrote:
    Anybody watch him pulling down passes in the playoffs with a jacked up shoulder?
    Tough receiver, and would be a huuuuuuge benefit to us lined up across from 'nard.
    we'll probably be hearing responses about how he's too old and Allison's better.

Ranger is offline Coach

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "Ranger" wrote:
    we'll probably be hearing responses about how he's too old and Allison's better.
    You think so?
    Mason is probably the most underrated receiver of his generation, and seems to be the definition of a quiet professional.
    He plays hurt, he plays injured, and he always produces...even with teams that are run oriented and have question marks at quarterback.
    He runs great routes, and if you want a guy to mentor young talent at the position (which we have an abundance of), I can't think of many better players than Mason.

It's probably a pipe-dream since he really wants to be with Baltimore, but a fella can hope.

Blog Entries

"Ranger" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "Ranger" wrote:
    You think so?
    Mason is probably the most underrated receiver of his generation, and seems to be the definition of a quiet professional.
    He plays hurt, he plays injured, and he always produces...even with teams that are run oriented and have question marks at quarterback.
    He runs great routes, and if you want a guy to mentor young talent at the position (which we have an abundance of), I can't think of many better players than Mason.

It's probably a pipe-dream since he really wants to be with Baltimore, but a fella can hope.
    I personally hope we get him, but there are a LOT of people on here who would be opposed to him I'm sure.
    Considering he produced in the high powered Baltimore Offense, He must have some skill.

Ranger is offline Coach

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "Ranger" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "Ranger" wrote:
    You think so?

I personally hope we get him, but there are a LOT of people on here who would be opposed to him I'm sure.
    Considering he produced in the high powered Baltimore Offense, He must have some skill.
    Mason has said that he expects to play about three more years.
    He's never been a receiver that relied upon pure speed or physical ability, so I don't think that he will decline as sharply as other receivers do.
    I mean, Jerry Rice and Tim Brown managed to continue producing for quite some time, and Mason is of a similar mind-set.
    He takes care of himself and has forgotten more about shaking defenders than most NFL receivers will ever know.

Yeah, his age is obviously a concern, but as long as we know what we're getting into and what we're getting, I can't imagine it being a huge issue.

Every time I've watched him play, he's shown sick hands.
    If there's something our relatively inexperienced quarterbacks need, it's stability and security...and if you get the ball near Mason, he's going to catch it.
    Hell, he was hauling in rockets from Flacco, a guy with a CANNON, across the middle while suffering from a (I believe) dislocated shoulder.
    Tough receiver.

Blog Entries

"Ranger" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "Ranger" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "Ranger" wrote:
    You think so?

He's never been a receiver that relied upon pure speed or physical ability, so I don't think that he will decline as sharply as other receivers do.
    I mean, Jerry Rice and Tim Brown managed to continue producing for quite some time, and Mason is of a similar mind-set.
    He takes care of himself and has forgotten more about shaking defenders than most NFL receivers will ever know.

Yeah, his age is obviously a concern, but as long as we know what we're getting into and what we're getting, I can't imagine it being a huge issue.

If there's something our relatively inexperienced quarterbacks need, it's stability and security...and if you get the ball near Mason, he's going to catch it.
    Hell, he was hauling in rockets from Flacco, a guy with a CANNON, across the middle while suffering from a (I believe) dislocated shoulder.
    Tough receiver.
    He would be
    a reliable for us, thats for sure.
    I'd love to get him, and I could see him being the kind of guy that childress & Co. might check out.
    He's not flashy, he doesn't command a lot of attention, he just quietly produces.
    I hope after missing out on one 30+ year old reciever, we at least give him a look.

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "Ranger" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "Ranger" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    [quote author=Ranger link=topic=50932.msg920373#msg920373 date=1236689596]
    You think so?

Tough receiver.
    He would be
    a reliable for us, thats for sure.
    I'd love to get him, and I could see him being the kind of guy that childress & Co. might check out.
    He's not flashy, he doesn't command a lot of attention, he just quietly produces.
    I hope after missing out on one 30+ year old reciever, we at least give him a look.
    [/quote]

Two IMO.

Garland Greene is offline Jersey Retired

Don't get me wrong I think that Mason has had a solid career, But 35 year old WR? Yes he would be a great leader in the locker room, but how much does he have left?
    Should we go after him? Maybe, but only if there was no chance to get a guy like Holt, which seems like a possibility that he may be available and even though he is 32 has more long term potential on the team. Not opposed to getting him, but I think there may be better options available as well that should be and could be looked at first.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast