singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Derrick Burgess wants a big pay raise

[size=13pt]VOLUNTARY HOLDOUT[/size]

By Adam Schefter
    National Editor, NFL.com

It now can be confirmed. Pro Bowl defensive end Derrick Burgess did not report to the Raiders' voluntary organized team activities because he does not have the contract he wants.

Over the past two seasons, no NFL player has had more sacks than Burgess, who has rung up 27 -- 1½ more than Miami's Jason Taylor, 3½ more than Carolina's Julius Peppers, 4½ more than St. Louis' Leonard Little.

Yet Burgess is still playing under the five-year, $15 million contract he signed with Oakland, which is less in total value than the $19.5 million in guaranteed money the Seattle Seahawks gave defensive end Patrick Kerney on a six-year, $39.5 million deal. When Kerney's guaranteed money exceeds Burgess' total money, there is a discrepancy the Oakland defensive end feels needs to be addressed.

While Kerney's contract numbers dwarf Burgess' off the field, Burgess' dwarf Kerney's on the field.

During the past two seasons, Burgess has had 16 more sacks than Kerney and now he is hoping to be rewarded for it. Until he is, he might not report back to the Raiders, though it doesn't sound as though Burgess has made any long-term decisions yet about how to handle the situation and potential holdout.

But this is just another slice of fallout from the big money showered on some of the NFL's players this offseason.

While players such as Kerney and cornerback Nate Clements cashed in, other players such as Burgess and cornerback Asante Samuel got ticked off.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: Derrick Burgess wants a big pay raise

What is it with Raiders players and hold outs?

I didn't realize he had the stats like that though.
    I guess "I would be wantin" some more $$$$ also.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg