Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Articnv is offline Coach

Re: Deion Branch *Hold Out* maybe a *Vike*

with the Bj as the qb the wide recievers will be just fine.
    Especail afetr we
    pound the ball.
    Rember were going from more of
    lateral pass to run /west coast offense.
    Just rember theres always wiggy for the check down pass

Del Rio Guest

Denny has to win this season or he is in trouble. I wouldn't put it past him to work a deal for a WR if he felt it improved his weaknesses and made his TEAM better in the end.

If he doesn't make the playoffs I imagine he will be in for a rough go.

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

AZ O-line was terrible last year and they did not improve it in the off season that will be the weakest link on their team and it is going to be tough for E.James to be as productive as he was in Indy.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Prophet Guest

POSTED 9:11 a.m. EDT, August 24, 2006
    WHAT NEXT FOR BRANCH?

Though, as in most seasons, there were several draft-pick holdouts this year, only two guys under contract ultimately stayed away from training camp -- former Broncos receiver Ashley Lelie and current Pats receiver Deion Branch.

And with Lelie finally getting traded out of Denver, it's pretty clear to us that Branch most likely will not be dealt, under any circumstances.

So the Pats and the MVP of Super Bowl XXXIX remain on a collision course for an impasse that will drag into September, and that possibly will end when Branch reports in the tenth week of the regular season.
    Under league rules, that's the latest he can show up and still receive credit for the final year of his rookie contract.

But just as there are indications that the Broncos will go after every penny that they rightfully can obtain from Lelie, our guess is that the Pats will pounce on Branch for anything and everything that the CBA allows them to pursue.

The $14,000 daily fine cuts off at the start of the regular season.
    But by then Branch's total bill for skipping training camp and the preseason will be $420,000 in after-tax money.

Also, once the season starts, he'll lose $61,400 in weekly game checks.
    If he stays out until Week Ten, that means he'll miss out on more than $550,000 in base pay, leaving him with roughly $490,000 in pre-tax wages for the season.

On top of that, there are lost offseason workout bonuses, minicamp fines, and possibly an effort to recover a portion of his signing bonus.

Then, once Branch completes his contractual commitments in New England, the team has the right to slap the franchise tag on him.
    And even if the Patriots later decide to trade Branch while under the franchise tag, the reality is that teams are less inclined to pay "market value" to a player when at the same time the team is required to cough up compensation to get the rights to the guy.

The root of the problem, as we see it, is that Branch's agent opted to go public with his efforts to squeeze more money out of the team, enlisting among others Ron Borges of the Boston Globe to carry Branch's water.
    Though other players, such as Richard Seymour, have had contract squabbles with the team, their agents didn't launch a media campaign to make the team look bad for not coughing up the coin.

In this case, Jason Chayut claimed that the Patriots crammed a five-year deal down Branch's throat, even though as we previously pointed out Chayut's firm had one second-rounder in each year after Branch who signed a five-year contract.
    Borges, likely at Chayut's behest, enlisted NFLPA executive director Gene Upshaw to claim that New England blazed the trail of five-year take-it-or-leave-it packages for second-rounders, even though as we previously pointed out Upshaw's Raiders were the first team to roll out this specific tactic.

And that's the real tragedy here.
    Based on Branch's recent "everything's going to work out" comments, he doesn't sound like a guy who wants out of New England.
    But his agent failed to properly understand the tactics that would work -- and the tactics that would fail -- in trying to do business with the Patriots.

It's not as if the Patriots are unique in this regard.
    No team wants to see and hear inflammatory comments from a player's agent in the media at a time when negotiations are occurring.
    In Denver, agent Peter Schaffer never said a word to the press while he was working to extricate Ashley Lelie from a bad situation with the Broncos.

So once Jason Chayut started whining about concepts such as exploitation, it looks like the Pats pulled their heads into their shells and began planning for life without Deion.

And Deion soon may realize that he'll miss the Pats more than the Pats will miss him.

Mr. Purple is offline Ring of Fame

Branch wont become a Vike.The title is missleading, thought it was gonna be something official about him joining us.With the way Childress runs this ship, I dont see us ever getting a big name hold out WR via trade or FA.

Theres NOTHING greater then a Florida Gator!
    "I promise everyone this. When Childress is let go in two years I can honestly say this.
    "I am not surprised"."-PurplePackerEater

vikings11_27 is offline Pro-Bowler

I would love him...hes amazing

If we could get him for a reasonable price it woiuld amazing...maybe a 2nd rounder and rosenthaul...whatever it is... as long as it doesnt take a 1st rounder or a good starter then we should try to get him.

Slade is offline Star Spokesman

"WilliamsonOfTroy" wrote:
    Branch wont become a Vike.The title is missleading, thought it was gonna be something official about him joining us.With the way Childress runs this ship, I dont see us ever getting a big name hold out WR via trade or FA.

- Hit the nail on the head with that one

ViKing24 is offline Asst. Coach

Vikings might be interested in Patriots' Branch
    By JUDD ZULGAD AND KEVIN SEIFERT
    Last update: August 26, 2006 – 12:07 AM
    Printer friendly

E-mail this story
    Save to del.icio.us

Vikings
    Vikings cut Koren Robinson

Vikings Blog: Extended Look

No star needed; lesser lights must shine

Vikings blog: No T.O. circus?

Fantasy football: Cram session
    With receiver Koren Robinson possibly facing a yearlong suspension for violating the NFL's substance-abuse policy, the Vikings could be among the teams that inquire about disgruntled New England receiver Deion Branch.

The Vikings still have 11 receivers on their roster, including Robinson, but don't necessarily have a No. 1-type guy.

He already is a "Stage 3" member of the league's substance-abuse policy, meaning another violation would mandate a one-year suspension.

Branch, 27, was the Patriots' leading receiver last season with 78 catches for 998 yards and five touchdowns. He is entering the last season of a five-year deal he signed after being taken in the second round in 2002. Branch is due to earn a base salary of $1.05 million this year. His agent did not return calls Friday night.

Formerly Viking24

ForceOfNorse is offline Starter

After perusing through some Vikes news in the Star Trib., it sounds like we ARE interested in Deion Branch.

The guy is good.
    He knows what it takes to get the job done, and has proven that he can step up and be a go-to guy.

The Patriots have given him permission to look, and talk to other teams, but New England also has the final say.

It would be great if we could get him, but there are several other teams that would like his services.
    We are in a good spot, since we saved all that cash from the K Rob cut, so I hope Zygi and Childress pull the trigger on this one.
    I think we might be able to get him for a 2nd rounder, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

While Branch's last season was his best, I still won't consider him a premier NFL wideout by any means, but if we could get him for a minimal price, I'd be OK with that. One thing that bothers me is that he should be honoring his current contract, not holding out. IMO, if you sign a contract, be a man and honor it.

I would prefer that we look elsewhere for a trade and/or comb the waiver wire over the next couple weeks to see who is released.

Deion Branch isn't all that.
    Even babies know the difference.

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast